Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Dollar Bill Test question

Options
ThunderBunny
ThunderBunny Posts: 132
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Just replaced my gasket for the first time (not a half bad job actually!) and completely cleaned out the cooker. Great feeling!
On replacing the lid I've got mostly great dollar-bill-test results. Back and front of lid - awesome resistance. The left side is tight as a drum, but the right side (looking at the Egg from the front) has a little less resistance. It's not completely friction-less, just not quite as tight as the rest of it. I've jiggered with it everywhich a-way and can't seem to get different results.
Is this a big deal? Any ideas??

Comments

• BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    Options
    i would just leave it...

as long as you can control temp. if it is not absolutly right it will not harm much. the dollar bill test is just so you will have some idea how well your egg will seal. from what you are saying you should be just fine....

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• Eggsakley
    Eggsakley Posts: 1,019
    Options
    Your dollar bill is out of calibration. Send it to me and I will re-calibrate it. :)
  • Bluecrab3
    Bluecrab3 Posts: 328
    Options
    Mine was similar after putting on a new gasket and it works perfectly. I was freaked out....just so it will hold your 200* low/slow cooks, you'll be great.
  • ThunderBunny
    ThunderBunny Posts: 132
    Options
    Thanks, you guys. I'll just leave as is, and fire 'er up tomorrow.
    Eggsakley, your offer is incredibly generous! Mind if I send 10 dollars to you for recalibration? I pay you $20 for your trouble...
  • Jersey Doug
    Jersey Doug Posts: 460
    Options
    My experience has been that if the dollar bill result is pretty good initially it will get better with time as the gasket compresses. If, on the other hand, the test result is bad to start with, i.e., little or no resistance in places, it will get worse quickly when the gasket burns out on high temperature cooks. It is also my experience that the condition of the gasket has no effect on the outcome of the cook, or on my ability to maintain temperature. But it can seriously affect how long it takes for the Egg to cool off and the resulting lump usage.