Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Remote Thermometer

AbqEgg'r
AbqEgg'r Posts: 91
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Here's the link to an excellent article on a new remote thermometer with dual probes: http://www.zenreich.com/ZenWeb/rcthermometer.htm[p]It is written by the user of one of those "other" cookers. One thing I found interesting: On a low slow cook, he talks about having to get up in the middle of the night to stir the lump and check to see if the fire has gone out. Apparently this is a common occurrence, and they have to add lump during the cook.[p]Guess they should have bought a BGE, or at least followed Elder Ward's directions.[p]TR

Comments

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    AbqEgg'r, Those "other cookers" haven't discovered how much charcoal to use yet. :-) Your right!! I think some of em still think filling a starter can is enuff. Some come over here to learn the essentials from guys and gal's like you and then post like its their own discovery..I get big chuckle out of it.
    My snide remark for the day..heeeeeeee. ooops did it again!
    Char-Woody

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    AbqEgg'r,[p]
    Every pulled pork cooker has gotten up in the wee hours of the morning to check a fire. It's a good idea too since they often go out. I have said it many times: if you can keep the fire going, pulled pork is really easy to cook![p]The problem with alan's post is two fold - he embellishes and he had the thing one day when he wrote the post. I and GFW got similar ones last fall and we did several tests with posts here about them. There is a page about it on my website too, but I never mentioned the unit until I had had it a week and used it a few times. Alan will find they have flaws as he uses his but if your willing to fool with them a little they will save you from getting up at 3am to go stand on the wet rainy deck.[p]GFW and I came up with the same results -- if you've got $100 burning a hole in your pocket and you need a new "toy", get one. Never use it above 275 deg though.[p]Tim

• AbqEgg'r
    Tim M,
    Sorry, I thought this was a different brand than the one you used..something new! I have read your comments and didn't purchase one based on those. With one low and slow cook under my belt I plan on never getting up in the middle of the night to check :)))

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    AbqEgg'r,[p]You're correct - it is different. My point was that Alan just got the thing that day. You can't tell anything about how a product works in 1 day. The one I got tought me losts about its may weaknesses but it took weeks not an hour. Thats Alan.[p]T
  • djm5x9
    djm5x9 Posts: 1,342
    AbqEgg'r:[p]Even with a fire constructed per Elder Ward, it is not unusual for the fire to go out (or drop dome temperature significantly) in the early morning of an overnight "low and slow" cook.[p]What is happening is the fire has burned a cavity in the carefully constructed pile of lump. This low temperature fire needs more closely placed lump to sustain its self. I find this occurs when a low and slow cook is started early evening (5 PM) and is expected to last overnight. My remedy to this problem is to take a poker and give the lump two or three gentle nudges to "fill the void". This precludes the fire going out prematurely. Additional lump is not needed, just subtle rearrangement of the existing.[p]AbqEgg'r, it is not so much what you cook on but your technique . . .
  • AbqEgg'r
    djm5x9,
    Guess I was just lucky on my first low & slow. I went 22 hours, the temp was steady the whole time, and I had a LOT of lump left over.[p]TR