Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Need words of wisdom

Options
Mark0525
Mark0525 Posts: 1,235
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Like I posted earlier, for some reason my 2 butts that I put on last night at 10 were done this morning by 6. That's only 8 hrs for 2 - 8# butts. Not planning on eating until 3 and I know I can't leave them in the cooler for that long. Any advice? Thanks, Mark

Comments

• Florida Grillin Girl
    Options
    Put them in the oven, covered in aluminum foil, and put the oven on the lowest setting.

Faith
    Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

3 Large, 1 Small, 1 well-used Mini
  • Humphrey Chimpden Earwicker
    Options
    i'd pull now and put into foil trays, reheat later on.

that is the turbo butt of all turbo butts. dome thermometer calibrated?
  • Mark0525
    Options
    I'm going to have to check it. I've never calibrated it before but never had any problems with any other cooks.
  • Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    Can't believe I am saying this AGAIN, but stripstike is right. Pull them, sauce them up and in the refrigerator. Heat it up later. Anything else will dry them out.

Oh some of us actually tell people the cook time is 1 - 2 hours per pound. This is why I tell people to never ever cook to time. :-)
  • Florida Grillin Girl
    Options
    I think they will be fine if you don't pull them, and just keep them warm, pull them right before serving. I mean keep them BARELY warm, just so they don't cool down.

Faith
    Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

3 Large, 1 Small, 1 well-used Mini
  • Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    Options
    And I can't believe I'm saying this, but I agree with Celtic Wolf. Another alternative is to pull, vacuum pack and put in the refrigerator. Drop the entire bag in boiling water, leave for 15-30 minutes (depending on the amount)and then cut open and serve. You can avoid having to sauce first that way.
  • Mark0525
    Options
    Thank you. I think I will leave them in the cooler as long as I can and then pull and sauce and heat. Thanks for everyone's help. They look great just was shocked when they were done so fast.
    Options
    only other thing i can think of is sometimes one man's 'done' is another man's "couple hours to go'.

if they are at 195, say, you could shut the egg down and let them cruise another hour at least until they hit 205, then put them in the cooler. would give you a little extended time, not much though
  • Mark0525
    Options
    I didn't think about that. The small one was already 204 when I got up at 6 to check them.
    Options
    wow. did you move the meat thermo around to make sure you were at the deepest part, or not hitting a bone? man. 205 at 6am? did you get one of them new bge microwave-oven eggs?
  • Mark0525
    Options
    lol....I even used my thermapen to check to see maybe my maverick was off but it wasn't. This was the first time that I maintained 250 on the nose for the whole night. I was so happy that it was holding but surprised it was done
    Options
    well. live and learn i guess. although you didn't do anything wrong, and if you tried to estimate the next cook based on these times you'd probably be stuck with a real slow cook.

ah well, part of the fun. for what it's worth, some of the best results are the anomalies. i screwed up and let baby bakc ribs go for 9 hours, and was prepared to have to throw them out. to this day, they were some of the best we've done. go figger :ermm:
  • Unknown
    Options
    Hey Mark,

Sorry to hear that your butts went turbo. On the bright side, it would be worse if it was 3pm and they were stuck at 170... Glass half full.

Gawd, it's too early to be up on a Saturday.....
    Braiiins... I mean coffeee....
  • Mark0525
    Options
    I agree it still is fun. Just really don't know what to do still :woohoo: Just afraid it's going to be dry. I have to do something soon though
  • Mark0525
    Options
    Tweev, that was my biggest fear that they wouldn't be done in time, wow was I wrong...lol I'm sure they will be fine