Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT-Chicago Trip

BigDaddy - OCT
BigDaddy - OCT Posts: 773
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Heading up that way for the first time with my family. Looks like we're staying out by the airport as a cost saving measure but will take in the aquarium, a couple of museums, etc.

Any must do places that you recomend? BBQ from someone else still is isn't my thing (you know what I mean) but eating places or things to do would be appreciated.
Bruce

Comments

• Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Chacago is a great STEAK town.If I'm not mistaken,the birthplace of Morton's.Great town.You will enjoy! ;) Check out the Chamber.They are SOOO helpful. :)
  • Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    You HAVE to hit Devons. Bruce it is great, I hope they have the lobster mac and cheese there like the one I went to in a different town. BTW, and the horse u rode in on last nite. :)

Mike
  • Stop at Greco Imports and get a few cases of Bomba!!!
    Talk to reelgem and she'll set you up. ;)
  • Teach42
    Teach42 Posts: 219
    Depends on what yer looking for! As for pizza, my personal vote is for Lou malnattis. Gotta love the sausage patty! If you'll be downtown, there's a new place called the Purple Pig. Fancier, tapas style, focusing on swine, wine and cheese. Great food there. If you don't mind a 20 minute drive, Elwoods is a roadhouse style restaurant, with fantastic homestyle classics. Their ribs, Mac and cheese, fish and flatbreads are all amazing. And you can't go wrong eith thte meatloaf there!

Oh yeah, and not too far from the airport, Superdawgs has some of the best Chicago style hot dogs outs ode the city
  • Oh yeah, and don't forget to get a sandwich at:
    Joe Boston's Italian Beef. Best italian beef you'll ever taste!!!
    2932 W. Chicago Ave.
    Chicago, IL 60622
    (773) 486-9536
    Great food, great service, free parking. :)
  • you HAVE to go do the "ledge" at the "Willis" (used to be 'sears') tower. . ..go to the observation deck on the 110th floor. .. there are three plexiglass boxes that stick out the side. . .you go stand in those and you are 'floating' 1,300 feet above wacker drive. . .one of the coolest things i've ever done. . .

check it out

http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=715051&catid=1
  • DMurf
    DMurf Posts: 481
    You might want to try the Weber restaurant http://www.webergrillrestaurant.com/ everything is cooked on custom made Weber grills. Very good but can have a wait. Another place is The Cheesecake Factory in the Hancock building, it is near the Water Tower on the miracle mile. Both of these are very accessible via the ell, I have never driven in downtown Chicago nor do I plan to.

If you have daughters then the American Girl store is amazing, and so is the Museum of Science and Industry.

For pizza I like Geno's East or Giradono's http://www.giordanos.com/ go hungry as Chicago style pizza is filling.

Have a great trip!
    David
    BBQ since 2010 - Oh my, what I was missing.
  • Big E
    Big E Posts: 51
    Steak and Pizza are the first thing the comes to mind Bruce. Awesome steak to be had there unfortunately it can be pricey for a family.
    Steaks you have Mortons, Ditkas, Gibsons and my favorite the Chicago Chop house. You would not be disappointed at the Chop House. There is a Gibsons out by the airport in Rosemont.
    Pizza you have Palermos the original one in Evergreen Park. Other joints that come to mind are Giordanos,Pizzaria Due, and Ginos East. You gotta have the deep dish at Genos.
    Guy had a BBQ joint on his show called Smoque on Irving Park road the other night that is supposedly known for its brisket. There is a Weber Grill Restaraunt there but I have'nt tried it out.
    I think the family would enjoy dinner atop the Hancock some nice clear evening. Get some great views of the city and of course don't forget the best of all, take in a game at Wrigley Field. I may be able to snag some tiks for ya if you are nice to me.
  • For the past 20 years, anytime we go to Chi-town for ANYTHING, our #1 restaurant is Harry Carrey's. Italian, but their steaks, chops, and seafood are out of this world. Simply, OUTstanding food.
    Entertainment: Navy Pier is pretty cool with one of the world's largest Ferris Wheels. It never stops moving. They also have night time fireworks, but not sure if it's everyday.

Have fun, it's a great city!
  • Wow! Your'e gonna be busy, Big Daddy!!

Faith
    Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

3 Large, 1 Small, 1 well-used Mini
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Bruce, whatever you do, don't leave there without trying an Italian beef sandwich. My favorite place is Luke's, but they are all pretty much the same. Order the combo with cheese and hot peppers, dipped. It is Italian sausage with thin sliced beef, giardidinara, and provolone with beef broth all over the roll, don't miss this. -RP
  • Petunia
    Petunia Posts: 110
    We were just there on a bus trip and one of the highlights for us was the Spice House in Old Town. They have all kinds of seasoning mixes that they hand grind and prepare there. Just the smell when you walk in the shop is great. They have items you can't find at the supermarkets plus their own unique blends. I recommend the Telicherry pepper, Ukrainian seasoning, and Milwaukee Avenue steak seasoning. But take lots of cash or your charge card.
  • Abe Froman
    Abe Froman Posts: 95
    Forget bbq in chicago. Go to local grease pits and gorge yourself on gyro plates, hotdogs and beef sandwiches. When that gets old, hit some pizza places. Chicago is know for deep dish, but most chicagoans usually get thin crust.
    As far as certain resturaunts, just ask people for local eateries dependent on your location in town. There are great places to eat everywhere and the don't have to be famous. As far as I'm concerned, the less famous, the better.

Sincerely, a large, lifelong chicago area resident.
  • Abe Froman
    Abe Froman Posts: 95
    Forget bbq in chicago. Go to local grease pits and gorge yourself on gyro plates, hotdogs and beef sandwiches. When that gets old, hit some pizza places. Chicago is know for deep dish, but most chicagoans usually get thin crust.
    As far as certain resturaunts, just ask people for local eateries dependent on your location in town. There are great places to eat everywhere and the don't have to be famous. As far as I'm concerned, the less famous, the better.

Sincerely, a large, lifelong chicago area resident.
  • Man, what a busy day so I haven't had the chance to get on here until now but thank you all soooo much for all of your suggestions!! We're looking forward to a great trip!

Bruce
  • Boilermaker Ben
    Boilermaker Ben Posts: 1,956
    Lots of good suggestions here, and a few I'd avoid (cheesecake factory? really?). Mr Food is right, Chicago is not a BBQ town. Aside from the pizza/steak/porkchops, Chicago really shines in it's ethnic food variety. Lots of great food out there, and as Mr. Food says, it doesn't need to be famous to be great. Near south side for chinatown. Near west side for greektown. North side for thai/vietnamese/cambodian/etc. Far north for Indian. Northwest for Polish/German/etc.

I heartily second AZRP's recommendation about the combo sandwich at an italian beef joint. The combo really is the best of both worlds. And like he said, get it "dipped" or "wet"...trust us.

For Chicago-style pizza, you've basically got two types. Cornmeal crust (Malnati's, Gino's) and a flour crust (Uno and Giordano's). I prefer the latter.

For Chicago-style dogs, it's hard to go wrong if the sign says Vienna Beef.

If you're looking for "famous" I'd recommend one of Rick Bayless's three restaurants at Clark and Illinois. Xoco is the least expensive, and has hands down the best sandwiches you'll ever eat (don't forget the home-roasted/ground hot chocolate, and the churros).

For "things to do": Stroll through Grant Park and Millenium Park. The Lincoln Park Zoo is free (Brookfield Zoo out in the west 'burbs is better, but it's hard to beat free). The museums are first-rate, I'm partial to the Shedd Aquarium. The architecture tours are good, particularly the boat tours. The baseball teams are awful, so tickets should be readily available.
  • ibanda
    ibanda Posts: 553
    Take in a Cubs game at Wrigley Field.
    "Bacon tastes gooood, pork chops taste gooood." - Vincent Vega, Pulp Fiction
    Small and Large BGE in Oklahoma City.
  • Boilermaker Ben
    Boilermaker Ben Posts: 1,956
    Lol.
    Or considering how the Cubs season is going...take in Wrigley Field at a Cubs game. :laugh: :(