Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Quest For The Perfect Pork Loin Chop & Lite Brine

Options
thirdeye
thirdeye Posts: 7,428
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
DSC00400ajpg.jpg

In my quest for the perfect pork loin, I've actually done a reversal on my brining method. The universal standard for brines is 1 cup (about 8 ounces) of salt per gallon of water. My standard flavor brine base has been 6 ounces (or about 3/4 cup) of salt per gallon of water, with optional goodies mixed in. I've had great luck with it. My new brine, which I'm calling my Lite Bine has only 3-1/2 ounces of salt per gallon of water (.875 ounces per quart of water).

I know, I know..... that's supposed to be too weak. I've said it myself for years. Heck, SmokinOkie would most likely call it salt water instead of a brine. Hehee.

So far I have done 4 full loins and 3 batches of loin chops, and I'm really liking the extra moistness I'm seeing. In all fairness I tend to season loins and loin chops more heavily than a pork steak or ribs for that matter, so I can't tell if it helps on flavor delivery like the traditional brines do. The next experiment will be done using an unseasoned chop.

Anyway, here are the Lite Brined Chops from the first turn (top picture) to the first slice.

DSC00402a.jpg

DSC00410ac2.jpg

DSC00412a.jpg

DSC00415a.jpg
Happy Trails
~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery

Comments

• Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options

Very interesting, thanks for posting. Those sure do look nice.

Kent
  • FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,677
    Options
    Now I'm hungry again. I've never brined loins guess I might have to give it a try.
  • Luvs to shoot clay
    Options
    Great pictures!
    Every time you post, you remind me that I need to work on my photography skills. I bought a nice Pentax camera thinking that would do the trick but there must be a lot of tricks I don't know about.
  • Little Chef
    Little Chef Posts: 4,725
    Options
    Thirdeye...Love the work you do for the BGE community! You truly go above and beyond. ;) Great looking chops to say the least.
    Just curious...probably on your website...but what internal pull temp do you use on chops and loin? Those look to be in the low 140's after rest. Thanks!
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options

Willy, your Pentax will do a great job, it's a pretty good camera and very decent lenses.

Kent
  • thirdeye
    Options
    And thank you! These only took a quart of brine and I used that new sea salt.
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

• thirdeye
    Options
    Tip #1: Read the manual.

Tip #2: Take a lot of pictures. On a good day, only about 1 in 10 is a keeper.
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

• Grandpas Grub
    Options

Did you notice any difference in the flavor with the salt? I can taste a difference in flavor between that and the sea salt sold at the local grocery store. The Real Salt seem a bit stronger also to me.

• Clay Q
    Clay Q Posts: 4,486
    Options
    Great lookin chops! :cheer:
  • thirdeye
    Options
    Thanks for the kind words..... I usually pull them at 141° to 145°. If I have a rib end roast, it comes off at 145°. The chop I sliced actually crept up to 150° during the rest. I like to think brining is kind of a cushion just in case I slightly over cook the meat.

I think the looks of that sliced picture were deceiving. The indoor lighting did make the meat a little pinker than it actually was, and the coloring in the juices was residual from the chili powder and paprika which was in the peppery rub I used.
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

• thirdeye
    Options
    Oh yes, I like the flavor. It seems sharper or crisper if that makes sense.
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

• Grandpas Grub
    Options

Sharper or crisper, that is a good description. Let me know if you run out, I know where to get it.

Kent
  • thirdeye
    Options
    Sorry. Brine time was 2-1/2 hours. Then they were rinsed, dried, seasoned and returned to the fridge for 1 hour.

Pit temp was around 350°, I started with a raised direct set-up until the internal passed 100°. Then I moved the grate back to the normal position, turned often until the internal temp was mid 140's
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

• Grandpas Grub
    Options

Thanks for the further details, my guessing would have been completely different.

GG
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Options
    ORGASMIC!!!! :whistle: You da BOY BLUE!!! B)
  • JLOCKHART29
    JLOCKHART29 Posts: 5,897
    Options
    Never thought of brining chops before but I will now!! Those look amazing! I like pork loin chops but always a little dry no matter the temp you cook them at. Great cut of meat and good price but just a little dry.
  • thirdeye
    Options
    Right, the boneless whole loins are a great price, lower in fat, easy to cut up, cook pretty quickly, and have a variety of uses. They are an excellent value.

Even though the bone helps keep a bone-in chop moist, brining them goes one step further. I've actually had folks get slightly suspicious because of all the moisture they will retain.....

DSC03389a.jpg

DSC03400a.jpg
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

• kricks
    kricks Posts: 244
    Options
    I'll never do chops on the EGG again unless I brine them. Those look MAHVELOUS!
  • bitslammer
    bitslammer Posts: 818
    Options
    While that ratio may appear weak it really comes down to simple chemistry and the fact that even a lighter brine will carry water and flavor into the meat by osmosis so long as there's more salt in the brine than in the meat. May just take longer and not have as much effect.

I'm a die-hard fan of Wishbone Robusto Italian for my thick chops. While I would say I marinate in it there's certainly some brining taking place given the salt content.

By coincidence I just did some last night and the judges were unanimous in saying these were some of the best chops ever. I think I got lucky and snagged some real good meat. Once you have that the sky's the limit. When you're unlucky and get "bad" meat to begin with its hard to overcome.

There were juicy, tasty and tender. The perfect pork trifecta. No plated pic but the leaked all over the plate when cut.

4714313028_0bccd47d0d_b.jpg
  • thirdeye
    Options
    Those look great. In addition to the science behind enhancements like marinades, brines etc., you still have to cook them evenly and not overdone.

With those perfect grill marks, did you start with the grate low, then raise it later?
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

• CVDSmokeShack
    Options
    Hey Wayne;
    Those chops look perfect! How long did you brine them for?

Chris
  • 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Options
    thirdeye wrote:
    I started with a raised direct set-up until the internal passed 100°. Then I moved the grate back to the normal position, turned often until the internal temp was mid 140's

I was trying to understand the reason for this. thanks Tim
  • thirdeye
    Options
    Brine time was 2-1/2 hours. Then they were rinsed, dried, seasoned and returned to the fridge for 1 hour.

Pit temp was around 350°, I started with a raised direct set-up until the internal passed 100°. Then I moved the grate back to the normal position, turned often until the internal temp was mid 140's
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

• CVDSmokeShack
    Options
    Thank you

Chris