Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Are you happy it’s finally National BBQ Month? While we like to BBQ year round, May is our favorite because the whole country is celebrating delicious food. If you’re new to cooking BBQ on your EGG, check out our Smoking Basics Publication...if not, proceed to some of our favorite recipes! We love Dr. BBQ’s Coffee Rubbed Brisket, Famous Dave’s Sticky Ribs and Virginia Willis’ Pulled Pork. Pair with this cheesy favorite for a winning way to start off May!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

AB: Dry age in 3 days

edbroedbro Posts: 297
edited 9:55AM in EggHead Forum
From Alton Brown. Anybody try this?

Dry Aged Chimney Porterhouse
[ul]http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/dry-aged-chimney-porterhouse-recipe/index.html[/ul]
·

Comments

• HungryManHungryMan Posts: 3,470
    I only read half way before I figured it was to complicated for me.
    ·
  • he's drying it, but not really aging it.

you still get a beef-flavor bump from condensing the beef (the ONLY thing lost is flavorless water, which is a good thing).

but there is no aging to speak of in three days.
    ·
  • edbroedbro Posts: 297
    Actually, now that I reread it, it is four days.

Don't know about complicated; wrap in paper towels and refrigerate for 4 days. Change towels when damp. Season and cook!
    ·
  • Celtic WolfCeltic Wolf Posts: 9,768
    I agree with stripstike. It takes at least 11 days for beef to start "aging" properly. Fifteen is even better.

Alton isn't always right..
    ·
  • i don't think edbro cared for my answer. maybe he'll acknowledge yours. hahaha

alton ages a roast in "Family Roast" episode. still, only goes about 5 days. He admits to wet aging up to 8 weeks in cryo.

I would say at two weeks aging (subprimals only) you have a good start. ;)
    ·
  • edbroedbro Posts: 297
    Quite the contrary. I appreciate your insight. I didn't know every reply needed a response. My bad.

I wasn't advocating the technique, just asking if anybody tried it.
    ·
  • just giving you grief. every response doesn't require a reply.

just wasnt sure if it was helpful at all.
    ·
  • RRPRRP Posts: 15,007
    Check back in two more days when I'll be posting pictures and the stats on a rib eye sub-primal that hits day 45 on Sunday of dry aging in a DrybagSteak bag.
    Ron
    Dunlap, IL
    ·
  • krickskricks Posts: 244
    This weekend I'm breaking into my first dry aged ribeye primal. It went in the bag May 28.

Pics on Monday!
    ·
  • RRPRRP Posts: 15,007
    You'll see and taste the difference even at 21 days, though 28 days seemed better for rib eye - though my 35 day was best yet so I'm anxious to see how 45 days stacks up though I won't be eating any of the 45 day for a week or two due to conflicts.
    Ron
    Dunlap, IL
    ·
  • You know me. I am an advocate of going commando. But. And it is a big but. The drybags ( I believe) slow the rate of drying enough that you 45 day primal will be in far better condition than a 45 day 'commando' primal.

I don't believe there's any safety benefit to the dry bags, but I will acknowledge that they probably more closely approximate the commercially dry aged beef I get. Because a more humid environment means the meat can age longer before overly drying.

What I'm saying essentially is that I think you need to invite me over to compare. :laugh:
    ·
  • 21 days is for schoolgirls and cubscouts.

28 days is minimum if you you claim to have any hair on your chest.

at 45 days, you have matched my local butcher. i am humbled
    ·
  • Celtic WolfCeltic Wolf Posts: 9,768
    How many days if you shaved all your hair off??
    ·
  • are you now a bouncer in a gay bar? :laugh:
    ·