Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, see our new showroom and check out the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

AB: Dry age in 3 days

edbroedbro Posts: 297
edited 6:43AM in EggHead Forum
From Alton Brown. Anybody try this?

Dry Aged Chimney Porterhouse
[ul]http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/dry-aged-chimney-porterhouse-recipe/index.html[/ul]

Comments

• HungryManHungryMan Posts: 3,470
    I only read half way before I figured it was to complicated for me.
  • he's drying it, but not really aging it.

you still get a beef-flavor bump from condensing the beef (the ONLY thing lost is flavorless water, which is a good thing).

but there is no aging to speak of in three days.
  • edbroedbro Posts: 297
    Actually, now that I reread it, it is four days.

Don't know about complicated; wrap in paper towels and refrigerate for 4 days. Change towels when damp. Season and cook!
  • Celtic WolfCeltic Wolf Posts: 9,770
    I agree with stripstike. It takes at least 11 days for beef to start "aging" properly. Fifteen is even better.

Alton isn't always right..
  • i don't think edbro cared for my answer. maybe he'll acknowledge yours. hahaha

alton ages a roast in "Family Roast" episode. still, only goes about 5 days. He admits to wet aging up to 8 weeks in cryo.

I would say at two weeks aging (subprimals only) you have a good start. ;)
  • edbroedbro Posts: 297
    Quite the contrary. I appreciate your insight. I didn't know every reply needed a response. My bad.

I wasn't advocating the technique, just asking if anybody tried it.
  • just giving you grief. every response doesn't require a reply.

just wasnt sure if it was helpful at all.
  • RRPRRP Posts: 18,950
    Check back in two more days when I'll be posting pictures and the stats on a rib eye sub-primal that hits day 45 on Sunday of dry aging in a DrybagSteak bag.
    L, M, S, Mini
    Ron
    Dunlap, IL
  • krickskricks Posts: 244
    This weekend I'm breaking into my first dry aged ribeye primal. It went in the bag May 28.

Pics on Monday!
  • RRPRRP Posts: 18,950
    You'll see and taste the difference even at 21 days, though 28 days seemed better for rib eye - though my 35 day was best yet so I'm anxious to see how 45 days stacks up though I won't be eating any of the 45 day for a week or two due to conflicts.
    L, M, S, Mini
    Ron
    Dunlap, IL
  • You know me. I am an advocate of going commando. But. And it is a big but. The drybags ( I believe) slow the rate of drying enough that you 45 day primal will be in far better condition than a 45 day 'commando' primal.

I don't believe there's any safety benefit to the dry bags, but I will acknowledge that they probably more closely approximate the commercially dry aged beef I get. Because a more humid environment means the meat can age longer before overly drying.

What I'm saying essentially is that I think you need to invite me over to compare. :laugh:
  • 21 days is for schoolgirls and cubscouts.

28 days is minimum if you you claim to have any hair on your chest.

at 45 days, you have matched my local butcher. i am humbled
  • Celtic WolfCeltic Wolf Posts: 9,770
    How many days if you shaved all your hair off??
  • are you now a bouncer in a gay bar? :laugh: