Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What eggccessories do you use most

Options
highpress
highpress Posts: 694
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
The other day i was cleaning out the plastic bin that holds my BGE accessories and other grilling items. I have an adjustable rig, spider (no small grid yet so i can't use it yet), cast iron grid, plate setter, pizza stone, and a bunch of other misc items that rarely gets used. Various spatulas, tongs, forks, brushes, mops, that were either given to me or that i have purchased thinking that i would use them. So i was just curious what you guys use the most... here's my rundown:

Adjustable Rig: Haven't used this much at all. Alot of people swear by it, but i just haven't seen a need for it. I know it would be handy to have to cook multiple tiers, but that's also kind if a pain in the butt if you want to flip something, move something around etc.I guess with the amount of food that i normally cook a platesetter works better for me.

Spider: i bought this with the intention of searing steaks closer to the fire. However i do not have a grid that fits, i didn't buy it at the time. And i just never got around to it. Allthough i understand it is great for wok cooking. unfortunately i don't own one of those either. Maybe i will get a small grid at next eggfest and try this out. See what searing closer to the fire does...

Platesetter: use this about 50% of the time when i fire up the egg. just depends on if i'm going direct/indirect. Whenever i have gone indirect, i use this. Good for pizza set ups too. I have tried using the adj. rig and then a pan as indirect setup, but for 99.99% of indirect cooks this is easiest way.

Pizza stone - Use it all the time when doing pizzas. Wouldn't do a pizza w/out it. Allthough i have cooked directly on the platesetter before, and it does work. Just have to watch food closer.

Cast Iron Grid - Bought this for searing mainly. Used it for a while, then I kind of stopped using it. I didn't like hanging it off my mate with thirdeye's grid lifter. I thought it would be too much weight on the mate. Went back to using regular grid that came with the egg. Of course i had this outside (in plastic storage) and has rusted. I have recently cleaned, reseasoned, and put it back on the egg in an attempt to use more often.

Thirdeye Grid Lifter - Use this everytime i fire up the egg. along with his ash tool. Nothing better. Love being able to hang the grid from a my mate or other table.

Thermapen- used pretty much every day. None better bar none.

misc. tongs spatulas - I must had at least $50 woth of "BBQ" tongs, spatulas, forks, etc. Most of the stuff i cook on the egg i use a cheap long handled pair of kitchen tongs. I like using a metal spatula from time to time..

Sorry for the rant guys, just thought i'd share my experience with the different things i've purchased for the egg. Some i use not so much and some i use all the time...

Future purchases: not sure.. half pizza stone so i can go indirect while direct on other side? :side:

Comments

• AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    The thermapen is my favorite accessory. -RP
  • Ozarkshooter
    Options
    Easily would be the Platesetter for me.

Also, I use the digital/remote thermometer just about as much.

Just started using the pizza stone more often for pizzas and breads.

So, that would be my top 3.

Happy Eggin'!
  • skihorn
    skihorn Posts: 600
    Options
    The only thing I can think of that I rarely use is my vertical rib holder for my Medium as I always use my Large for ribs and only use the Medium when I am cooking more ribs than the Large will handle. Oh, I also was given a branding iron (Longhorn) for steaks. Keep meaning to try it but always forget.

The items I use all the time - grill gripper, ash tool, gloves, plate setter (for indirects only), remote therm (times 2 as I want a second opinion), thermapen, pizza stone (for pizza and bread), brush for cleaning grill, vertical holder for Large (for ribs and certain meats by inverting), fish grids (for fish and often for veggies). I am sure I am forgetting some things.

EDIT: I also keep 12 different types of woods (including some blends) in my inventory.
    Freddie
    League City, TX
  • FearlessGrill
    Options
    I probably use my Thermapen more than anything else, with the plate setter a close second. I just ordered an adjustable rig and spider, and expect those to get frequent use too. My pizza stone gets a lot of use for baking bread and making pizzas.

The other things I use most often are my collection of BBQ cookbooks. While I don't often cook recipes right out of them, they help me think of things to make, techniques I might want to try, rubs and sauces I might want to incorporate into a cook, etc. My two current favorites are Adam Perry Lang's Serious BBQ and Bill and Cheryl Jamison's Smoke and Spice. I kind of like the Dinosaur BBQ cookbook too, but their recipes are all for cooking the menu items from their restaurant on gas grills or in the oven. Still good for ideas though, and I like their sauce.

-John
  • Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    Options
    Plate Setter, hands down. Then CI grid, spider and CI skillet on it for fish.

Mike
  • Ozarkshooter
    Options
    Oh yeah!...the grill gripper - that one is used EVERY time.

Just bought one this summer - don't know why I didn't get one sooner.
  • thechief96
    thechief96 Posts: 1,908
    Options
    I use the platesetter, thermapen and polder temp gauges.
    Dave San Jose, CA The Duke of Loney
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,740
    Options
    i think it depends more on what you cook and how you like to cook it, i do a lot of direct cooks and the height of the rig comes in handy. ive never owned a platesetter or even considered getting one, i see its only real use is as a heat mass for bread baking, other than that i would only need a pan or a pizza stone for indirect cooking. thermapen gets used more than anything except maybe my beer koozie while egging :laugh:
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Crimsongator
    Crimsongator Posts: 5,797
    Options
    I use the platesetter and the raised grid the most. I use CI on the small if I am cooking steaks and stone on the large for pizzas. That's all I seem to need
  • Angela
    Angela Posts: 543
    Options
    platesetter
    pizza stone
    cast iron grid
    thermapen
    Egging on two larges + 36" Blackstone griddle
  • stevesails
    stevesails Posts: 990
    Options
    grill gripper
    plate setter

At this time that's all I need.
    XL   Walled Lake, MI

• Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    Options
    Fishless nailed it, it's what you cook and how you cook it. I'm the opposite, I think I've cooked direct a couple of times on the egg.

I really don't care to hover over the egg moving things around, so I usually set up indirect with the platesetter. Being free from the egg allows me to do other things like yardwork, washing the truck, prepping the rest of the meal, playin catch with the boy, drinking, etc

I agree with you about the Rig. I thought I would use it the most, hardly the case. Part of that is my own fault. The two overnighters I've done with this setup, the fire has went out. Luckily, I caught them in time and didn't have to chuck any meat. I use the spider with the Large pizza stone, not much of a gap for airflow around the diameter. I also used Wicked lump, which is really dense. I even established the fire for at least 4 or 5 hours before turning in for the night. I haven't given up hope, just not really wanting to buy a smaller stone yet.

Thermapen is a great tool for any griller, also love my ET-73
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,740
    Options
    if your using a spider with a large pizza stone for indirect on low and slows whats happening is that your creating more fire to get the temps in the upper levels up. bigger fire creates more ash faster and your choking off the air supply even faster than normal.could be one reason why your losing the fire with those cooks ;)
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Cruzr
    Cruzr Posts: 91
    Options
    Only thing I'd add is MAPP torch. Next, Thermapen, ET-73, placesetter or raised grid.
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    Options
    Thanks fishless, what size stone do you prefer, a medium(bge) or small?
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• Mazzdog
    Mazzdog Posts: 44
    Options
    Thermapen
    Ash Tool (made life so much easier after getting it..and faster)
    Platesetter
    Bought a pizza stone today
  • James MB
    James MB Posts: 359
    Options
    Without doubt the first two places go to
    Thirdhand
    Woo ring

But there should be hon. ment.s for
    Platesetter, wiggle rod, drip tray, ash tool, tongs, bottle opener/corkscrew and, as I discovered tonight after leaving my watch upstairs - a watch / timer oh and for peace of mind a thermapen.

I have just fallen in love with my latest eggcessory - a Tilley hat T5 / T5H good in the sun and good in the rain so ideal for our summer twinned with a Swanndri when necessary and a head torch if need be.

Of course none of this would have been possible without the support of my butchers and their dedicated local farmers and of course my family for instilling that love of fire and ember cooked food and my long suffering wife .....
    And for those I've missed (my chimney, my Birkenstocks ...) You know who you are.