Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Is it possible to get a crispy skin with the BGE???

Patrick in Minnesota
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Ok, here's another question I need help with...I've been cooking on my Egg for several years now, and I like everything about it EXCEPT that I can't seem to get a crispy skin on any foods I cook.(I generally cook with indirect heat, using a ceramic tile between the coals and my drip pan.) My chicken comes out a beautiful bronze color, and very moist inside, but the skin isn't crisp. Ditto for ribs. In the Jamisons' book, Smoke and Spice, they said that this is a characteristic of all kamado's, because they retain the moisture so well. Anyone have any ideas on this?...perhaps opening the dome for the last 15-20 minutes or so???

Comments

• sprinter
    sprinter Posts: 1,188
    Patrick in Minnesota,[p]What about cooking it direct for the last couple of minutes of the cook? This will get keep the moisture in the inner portion of the meat and crisp up the outside at the end of the cook. It works for me when I want a crispy outer bark on whatever I'm cooking.[p]Troy
  • BluesnBBQ
    BluesnBBQ Posts: 615
    When I roast chickens at a high temp, I get crispy skin. See my "Recent Chicken Experiments' post from last week for more on this.

• BluesnBBQ, Hmmmmm....higher temps, eh? My last chicken was cooked at approx. 360 degrees dome temp, but still the skin was not crispy...maybe it has something to do with the SIZE of the egg...I have a "medium" size.

• BluesnBBQ
    BluesnBBQ Posts: 615
    Patrick in Minnesota,[p]I mean higher temps like 450-500. I do this with smaller chickens (3-3.5 lbs) on a chicken sitter indirect (sitter on a pizza stone). Rub the skin with oil or butter and your favorite seasonings. It should cook quickly (under an hour), with crispy skin.
  • Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Patrick in Minnesota, Sho nuff my friend...last time I did this the skin split right down the middle of the back..Now thats crispy.
    I dug this secret from the well published "Cooks Illustrated" magazine, and once in a while they do have a good tip. This one works...Do your brine thing, and then take the bird out of the brine 12 to 14 hours (not critical)before your cook. After doing the thorough rinse and mop dry that bird with paper towels, inside and outside . [p]When your sure you have dried it as much as possible, place the bird inside your refrigerator "naked" and let the refrigerator dehydrate the birds outer skin overnight.[p]Then high grade olive oil and your rub treatment or paste, and cook at 400 to 500 degrees over firebricks laying flat on a second grill or use your sitters if you wish. The outer skin will turn to brown crispy paper bag texture...Cook till you think its ready, then check temps thigh and breast with a pocket thermometer..Usually around 1.5 to 2 hours. But watch it.Best to get a copy of Cooks or e.mail me and I will send you the highlights.
    I did it and it works...!
    Char-Woody!! (Turkeys too)

• Char-Woody
    BluesnBBQ, Good tips...I almost doubled with ya..Together we will get Patrick persuaded...:-) I agree, high temps are needed for the broiled character with a bird.

• Char-Woody, I'm convinced! I'll try it these suggestions this weekend...thank you both!

• Char-Woody
    Patrick in Minnesota, I will let BluesnBBQ speak for us both..Have a great weekend!
    C~W
    BluesnBBQ is a better voibalizer...:-)

• JimW
    JimW Posts: 450
    Patrick in Minnesota,
    Having read all the posts up to this point, I agree that brining and higher temps will get a crisp skin. However IMHO, I feel that cooking it direct at least for the last part of the cook is essential to get the crisp skin you want.
    JimW