Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Made in the USA?

Options
Petunia
Petunia Posts: 110
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
So a local fireplace/grill store that use to sell the Egg but had a parting of the way with the Mothership now is selling Primo. For Father's Day they had a big quarter page ad in the paper and a third of the ad in big letters proclaims "THE ONLY CERAMIC COOKER MADE IN THE USA". So how much of the Egg is made elsewhere and where is that elsewhere?

Comments

• BobS
    BobS Posts: 2,485
    Options
    My understanding is that the ceramic parts are made in Monterey, Mexico.

The pizza stone clearly says made in Mexico.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,747
    Options
    the bands are or were usa, i think thats it. im just happy its made on this side of the world :)
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    I believe the ceramic parts of the BGE are made in Mexico. Not sure where the bands and hinges are made.
    To me, the important issue was the quality of the parts and USA company that owns and backs the product for life of ownership.
    I have never cooked on a Primo but looks like a quality product as well. Often thought about buying one of the oval Primos. I have no idea how well they stand behind their product but it seems like the only other ceramic cooker with similar build quality.
    Darian
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    I wonder where Primo's ceramics are made...
  • milesofsmiles
    milesofsmiles Posts: 1,377
    Options
    As Navy veteran, I'am always happy to purchase a product made in The U.S.A., also I'am so happy to sell BGE'S. I support their LIFETIME warranty and believe the ceramic made in Mexico is superior to the ????. The TUDE of that X-dealer means I can get more BGE's to sell with less waiting time as their is a HUGH demand for Eggs. Sales of BGE'S are at all time high with sales in excess of 80% higher than projected by the Mothership & it ain't halftime in 2010 yet. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Go Mothership, git me some Lg. Eggs. :):):) to y'all.Ronnie.
  • Photo Egg
    Options
    I beleive that was the point of the original post.
    Primo being made in the USA. At least that is the Primo claim.
    Darian
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Humphrey Chimpden Earwicker
    Options
    That's what I'd always understood too. Castings made in Mexico, all else is US and assembled US.
  • Photo Egg
    Options
    "and assembled US".
    More like boxed in US. LOL
    Not much put together by BGE before it gets to the customer or dealer.
    D
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    Who cares where they parts are made or where the final assembly takes place? In the grand scheme of things does it really matter?

"Made in the U.S.A." stopped being a meaningful phrase many moons ago.

Look at your car, your television, your computer, your cellphone, etc., etc., etc. How many are made in the USA? So why would the country of manufacture matter on a BBQ device?
  • Petunia
    Petunia Posts: 110
    Options
    Don't get me wrong. I love my Egg--and my Toyota--and my Sony. I just had to laugh that their main selling point wasn't the quality or the warranty or any other things that we love the Egg for.
  • Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    Options
    I wanna try beef made in Argentina... again. :) Its been almost 23 years and me little pea brain still remembers it and desires it.
    Options
    well, sure. semantics though. not talking about necessarily standing up and bolted together, so much as the individual components are put together and brought together...

i may have put the bands on the egg, but i don't remember having to assemble my hinge, or put the daisy together, attach the lower vent, etc. etc.
  • Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    The Egg isn't even sold in Mexico. They have to all come back here first. Beli and Pwise had to bring their EGGs back across the border.

My Taco is assemble in California from Japanese Toyota parts. I still bought American because Toyota had to hire Americans to assemble my truck and sell it too me with a bank loan from an American bank.

I agree with Rod (will wonders never cease :woohoo: ) who cares where it is made as long as Americans are employed because of it's sale.
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    Options
    My brother does business in China, goes twice a year to keep up on things. One of my equipment buddies employees a guy from China, specifically to oversee is equipment bidding and fabrication. Both tell me their comparative costs, US vs. China. The differences are very significant, huge.

Both tell me to look at China, heck China is looking at me as they are the 3rd most popular country on the website, right behind Canada!

I have my stuff built in the USA. Here, folks get employed, everyone speaks the same language and we do business basically the same way. My guess is you still have the same production issues, US or China, but at least here, you can fix issues reasonably fast. The metal fabricators are seeing business return to the USA from China......if that means anything.

The woks are the only thing I know that is from China and carried on our site. That one kinda makes sense to me.....Oh ya, the shipping boxes come from China too. Maybe I need to rethink putting that "Made in the USA" sticker on a foreign box.....

Plus, what China is one or two weeks ahead of us on the time zone change........or is that one or two weeks behind us.....I forget......

t
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    Options
    Tom,

I was 'force fed' a Chinese made Cabinet for a project last summer. We experienced 100% door and drawer front failure. Expecting the third attempt at getting me all the proper replacements this week. 9-10 months and still waiting. :evil:
  • Photo Egg
    Options
    Funny thing is that the US might make more from import tax than they make in taxes from most US company producing products in the states.
    Darian
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    Please don't take me the wrong way, my rant really wasn't intended to admonish you so much as to provoke thought in anyone that might read it.

People get so absorbed in what they think they should believe that they really don't try to understand why they should believe it. I guess I just try sometimes (and usually unsuccessfully) to get people to think about what is in the cup before they gulp down the Kool-Aid.

I grew up in a union household, my Dad and I are both military veterans, I worked a union job to put myself through college, and the "buy USA" mantra was always shoved down my throat. My Dad nearly disowned me when I bought my first "foreign" vehicle - a Toyota pickup - but he has finally come around as well. We are in a global economy.
  • PhilsGrill
    PhilsGrill Posts: 2,256
    Options
    Well you have to understand the world leader in the best ceramics is Mexico. They have held that title for 100 years or more. If I were to have any ceramic tile put in my house, it would be from Mexico. Hummm where is the egg made?
  • Photo Egg
    Options
    Your right. Just poking fun because my BGEs all came boxed in pieces. Never picked one up put together from dealer or fest. Yes, the lower vent and daisy screw were already installed. :laugh:
    D
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    The ceramics for the Egg are made in the Dal-Tile plant in Mexico. Dal-Tile is a Dallas TX based corporation and a division of Mohawk Industries, also a US corporation. -RP
  • Photo Egg
    Options
    See, good ol Texas quality backing the ceramics. :whistle:
    D
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    Options
    That is why it weighs so much, everything has to be bigger. :)

Mike
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,747
    Options
    the only thing about this global economy is how the rules in other countries are getting unfair to usa goods. its a bear getting parts into some countries, they are setting up hurdles for us that cost us out of the global picture on some products. im done sending to europe, china is a real hassle to sell cerian goods, even canada with the way they set up all the provinces independent instead of as one unified country with the same rules etc. i dont think things coming into this country have the same hassles thru customs. may be a global economy, but its not a fair one
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    Yet they still want to buy American Goods.

Back in the 1970's when I was stationed in Germany I bought a new Dodge Omni for around 7K. I had to go pick it up from Bramerhaven, because it was an American built Omni and it was shipped from the US. German's could buy Omni's back then but they weren't as nice as the US built ones. I got it home and when I stepped out of my car a German offered me 20K for it. If the customs laws didn't forbid me from selling it for a year I would have upgraded my car choice..
    Options
    the Fords in europe, though, seem far better than those over here. Once, in Germany, we were taxiing around in Mercedes and BMWs. All the taxis were well-made cars. Got into a taxi late at night, and remarked how it seemed much nicer, and wondered what kind of car it was. On the center of the driver's steering wheel there was a Ford logo. I couldn't believe it. Much nicer than any Ford I'd seen over here. And it seemed on par with the Mercedes/BMWs.

Other time was in England maybe 10 years ago. We rented a car, and it was also a Ford. If they made one as nice over here, i might actually consider buying one.

I think they expect Americans only want cheap crap...
  • Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    The parts that are made in Mexico are the parts that Mexico makes better that we do in the USA. Ceramics.

Cheers
    Chris
    DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Smut-butt
    Smut-butt Posts: 142
    Options
    As long as this GREEN EGG keeps the spanish people with jobs in THEIR OWN COUNTRY and NOT illegal in America, I say that's a good thing. The Mexicans probably are more efficient at the technology of ceramics than we "gringos" anyway.

I believe in Made in America products; but the Politicians in Washington D.C. do NOT. We the people need to CORRECT this problem and this is a big problem
    with our country today. Look at the UN-employment. We keep sending manufacturing plants and "help desks" to India and other countries and our American families suffer.