Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

coffee

Options
61chev
61chev Posts: 539
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have seen on tv a few using coffee in the rub. Has anyone done this? I am the only one in the family that drinks coffee how much coffe flavor comes thru to the meat?

Comments

• Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    Dizzy Pig's Red Eye Express. Yep there is coffee in there.

It's great on Lamb, Hamburgers and Ribeyes..
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Options
    I use brewed coffee in many sauces, including BBQ.
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    Made a batch with Kona Koffee thanks to Hungryman and have modified it a few times. Those who try it say it is great. I like it on everything eggcept fish and only because I have not had time to try it. had some on a meatloaf last night, pork chops gthe day before and tonight am doing 18 drumsticks, some with Kona Rub. Here is the recipe if you wish to make your own or play with it. It is EGGcellent on beef.

Rub, "Kona Koast Rainbow Rub", W/Worcestershire Sauce, Richard Fl

My friend, Al Katz-- AKA Hungry Man from the BGE Forum, recently returned from some "R" & "R" in Hawaii and brought back some Hawaiian Sea Salt and Kona Coffee beans. Asked me to make a coffee based rub. Did not have enough Kona coffee, (too D@%* expensive), so added a few others to make a decent size batch. Started with the great recipe Molly Shark has been sharing for several years and one found on the internet, made a few modifications.Thanks Al and Molly

INGREDIENTS:
    12 Ozs Kona Koffee Beans, Ground fine
    4 Ozs. Hawaiian Sea Salt, White, add salt after the other ingredients so as not to over salt the rub
    10 Ozs. Turbindo Sugar
    6 Ozs. Indian River Rainbow Pepper or regular restaurant grind black pepper
    12 Ozs. Char-Broil Pulled Pork Rub, Pork rub of Choice
    6 Ozs. Jimmy Joe's Poultry Rub, Mild rub, little salt flavor, Jimmy Joe's Poultry Rub, (AC LEGG"S Old Plantation BBQ Rub #107)

Procedure:
    1 Measure each item by weight. If not fine ground, run thru a coffee grinder. Each item by itself. Screen thru a vegetable wire strainer to get larger pieces out- re-grind them. Mix all together.

Yield: 24 Ozs. /1 1/2 Pounds

Recipe Type
    Rub/Seasoning/Spice

Cooking Tips
    For these 2 rubs you may use your favorite pork or poultry rub. just make sure the salt is last added 'cause some rubs have more salt than others.
    I like it on beef, pork, poultry and lamb. I have a few friends that have done fish with it and were happy, I have not yet. Lightly on lamb as the koffee tends to overpower the flavor. Hoss swears it is eggtastic on brisket. Mainegg loves spatchcocked turkey with it. I like to use it when doing ribeyes and cowboy steaks. marinate for an hour or so. I am sure it will go well with anything you create

Recipe Source
    Source: BGE Forum, Richard Fl, 2009/05/24

2009/06/16-- Took the original "KONA" recipe and cranked it up for more, coffee flavor, salt and heat flavor.

2009/08/14--Took this recipe and added 3 ozs Red Pepper, Fine and used 18 Ozs Old Plantation BBQ Rub #107 and that was used in place of the Jimmy Joes and Char Broil rubs.

2009/12/12-- Took the basic recipe doubled it, used 36 Ozs Legg's, 6 Ozs Sea salt, 3 Ozs Red Pepper, 2 Ozs Chipolte, and 8 Ozs WORCESTERSHIRE Powder.
  • fieroguy
    fieroguy Posts: 777
    Options
    And lemme tell you sumpin. Richards Kona Koffee rub is GREAT!!!
  • Capt Frank
    Capt Frank Posts: 2,578
    Options
    Ditto on Fieroguy, Richard has shared some of his rub with me and it is terrific stuff :P

Capt Frank
    Homosassa, FL
  • Tennisbum
    Tennisbum Posts: 228
    Options
    I did coffee crusted pork chops and they were great. Just a hint of coffee.
    Try it you will like it.
    gp
  • Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    Options
    You spin my little head with the recipes Richard. I'm lockin this one in my stash :evil:
  • 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Options
    Thanks Richard :)
    Tim