Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Plate setter questions

ThePigWhisperer
ThePigWhisperer Posts: 8
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Anyone cooking ribs or pulled pork without one? If so why?

Legs up or legs down on the plate setter?

I assume the plate setter gets full of drippings, do you clean it? If so how often and with what?

Thanks

Comments

• The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    If I use the plate setter as in indirect barrier for a cook like a pork butt, I use a drip pan on the plate setter to catch the stuff. Some people just cover the plate setter with foil. If it is nasty, you can certainly clean it with a high temperature burn to burn anything off.

Legs up when I'm using it as a barrier when cooking a pork butt. Legs down when I put a pizza stone on it and use it for baking pizza.

You don't need to use a plate setter for indirect cooking, but it is quite convenient. If you have two levels of grids, you can always place a drip pan on the lower grid to make your "barrier".

Good luck!
    The Naked Whiz
  • WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Legs up or down would depend on what else you have in the setup....easiest was is legs up with a drip pan on the platesetter and then a grid or even raised grid over top of the pan.....If I have something that I know is going to drip gunk on the PS I will cover it with foil..many others don't bother....
    To clean it you just need to leave it in a 600° egg for around an hour..
  • vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    Legs up...
    Put HDAF on the platesetter and use an aluminum foil drip pan...no mess on the platesetter...ever...always foil...just not underneath because AF will burn...
  • Mark0525
    Mark0525 Posts: 1,235
    nah, don't waste the foil.....it will burn off the next cook.....how's it going Wess. Haven't talked to you for a while :)
  • vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    Here is why I disagree with Mark. Even though you can take your platesetter and burn stuff off of it IMO if you are going to bake using your platesetter it can leave an off taste to breads, pizzas, desserts,etc...since it is so easy to just use a drip pan and or foil I am not sure why you wouldn't do it..just my 2 cents... :)
  • Mark0525
    Mark0525 Posts: 1,235
    2 cents well spent :) believe me I don't get offended with someone disagreeing with me...lol I don't bake on the egg some to me that's extra flavor. That's what this is all about. There are so many ways of doing things. What works for one doesn't always work for the other...It's all good :)
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Im not a PS foiler either, feeling that it just makes for more cleanup. I cook pizza often and have never noticed any off putting flavor from drippings, but Ive never done bread which would be exposed longer. Seems the 600 Egg for pizza would burn anything off rather quickly to me. Not claiming to know it all, but it works fine for me.
  • Abe Froman
    Abe Froman Posts: 95
    Dude. You have the best forum handle I could possibly imagine on a bbq forum.
  • Thanks

And thanks to everyone who answered.