Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pizza Question

Options
UKBradC
UKBradC Posts: 46
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I've tried pizza on the Egg a couple times but I have yet to experience what I consider to be a success. The crust always seems to be soft and doughy in the center of the pizza, but perfectly done and crusty elsewhere. I set up the place setter with the legs down and the baking stone elevated with 3 Egg feet on top of the place setter to allow airflow (I read somewhere on the forum to elevate the stone). I cook it at 500 until the toppings almost seem burnt and the center is still doughy. What am I doing wrong?

Comments

• Serial Griller
    Serial Griller Posts: 1,186
    Options
    Bradlee,
    Are you preheating your plate setter and pizza stone for about 45minutes -1 hour @ 500' before you put your pizza on the egg?
    Also sometimes if you pile on the toppings too thick in the middle the crust gets soggy or stays chewy.
    I cook mine about 12-14 minutes.And get a crispy crust even with a thick crust.
    If you remove your daisy wheel and just control the temp with the lower damper you can look down the top of the dome to check to see if your pizza toppings are getting burnt..
    Practice makes perfect.And it's so much fun. :)
    P1010024.jpg
  • Morro Bay Rich
    Morro Bay Rich Posts: 2,227
    Options
    Probably too many topping. Try only tomato sauce and cheese.
  • MJF24
    MJF24 Posts: 146
    Options
    A couple of thoughts:

1. How long are you letting the pizza stone heat up before putting the dough on? It probably needs about 45 minutes to heat up enough.

2. How thick is your dough? It you are trying to make thick pizza, it will be more difficult to cook the dough evenly before the toppings are done.

3. You could try pre-cooking the dough a little bit before putting the toppings on. Give the dough a 3-minute or so head start and then put the toppings on--you should be fine that way.

Good luck!
  • phar71
    phar71 Posts: 44
    Options
    What is the paper you all put under the za, in between the za and the stone?
  • FearlessGrill
    Options
    It's parchment paper. It won't burn, and helps slide the pizza on and off the stone if you don't have a peel. You can get it in the supermarket in the same aisle as tin foil and plastic wrap.

-John
  • Petunia
    Petunia Posts: 110
    Options
    I've had success putting the stone on my raised grid.
    CIMG2516.JPG
    CIMG2520.JPG
    How wet your dough is might have some influence too although I doubt that is the problem. With this set up you get very good air flow around the stone and it is easy to check the doneness of the pizza without raising the lid by peeking through the top.
  • Serial Griller
    Serial Griller Posts: 1,186
    Options
    I also lightly saute my veggies before putting them on the pizza in olive oil .I helps keep them from burning .