Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

searing steaks on the spider

jemrx
jemrx Posts: 81
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
So i rcd my AR and spider and waiting for the 13" CI grate.
My question is are there any special techniques for building the fire to get to "lava temp". I currently use the fire starters. I'm also curious as to wether people use wood or not.

Comments

• 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    I recently seared pork chops in my ci grid in my spider. I used fresh lump just above the holes in the fire box. With the spider and ci grid in the egg I stabilized the egg at 400° to do my sear. I feel I did a great job on the sear. I timed my sear 2 min each side on my thick cut pork chops then I raised the grid high in the dome and inserted the meat thermometer. I then pulled the chops when the internal temp reached 135° and rest covered for ten min. Worked great fore me. Tim :)

You can look over the post and get some ideas.

http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=907177&catid=1
  • 2Fategghead
    Just my opinion but you won't have to crank up your dome temp to sear in your spider. You will be grilling next to the coals as it is. Just my .02 cents. You may have a different technique. Tim :)
  • It's annoying that a 15 inch CI grid doesn't exist (or I haven't found one). I'm surprised that the CGS doesn't modify medium the medium grids for use in the spider (like you did).

Maybe you can be the next to start their own BGE accessory side business? :)
  • Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    Have you thought about adding a CI plate and blackening? You're cooking hot hot hot.

blkstk2.jpg

Mike
  • jemrx
    Mike....the only accessory i saw mentioned from the ceramic grill store was to buy the 13" CI grid from the egg dealer. Where did you get the plate? I used to live in NOLA and would like to try some cajun blackend red snapper. That plate looks like it would be ideal.
  • Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    jemrx,

Simply set it up with the spider and ci grate in place and also a raised grid to roast on. Then roast your meat at 400ish and then once your at 100-110 (internal meat temp) pull it off and remove the raised grid. Now the sear...plop them down, turn in 30 seconds and then flip, then turn in 30 seconds. Longer if you like and you can also put them back up to roast again... if they are thick or need to be well done.

Or....you can hot tub them (an hr in 110* water (in a water proof bag)) then to the spider set-up with a 400ish fire to char and then to the raised grid (if need be) to finish.

Or.... :laugh:

Just get after'it like your life depends on it, then you'll know what you like. B)
  • Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    I think I got it at a Kithcen Store at Lake of The Ozarks. But I have seen them at Cabelas and Bass Pro.

They are wonderful for fish.

tilapia004.jpg

tilapia006.jpg

Put it right on the spider.

Mike
  • 2Fategghead
    Mike that last pic tore me up. :P Tim
  • jemrx
    Thanks real nice pics...I'll be keeping an eye out for one of those CI plates. Great idea!