Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cleaning Tips Needed

Options
Q-Man
Q-Man Posts: 4
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Does anyone have any tips on cleaning the enameled cooking grid? Mine has been used a lot and seems very encrusted. Thanks! :(

Comments

• vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    Options
    I usually get my BGE up to 600-700 and throw my grates in. I let them "cook" for 10 minutes or so and scrub off with a wire brush...easy peasy
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Options
    Let it sit over a hott-ass fire for a several minutes, then take a grill brush to it. Flip it and brush the other side.
    It's worth noting that charred bits of food act as a protectant. It is best to clean the grid before cooking, as apposed to after.
  • Ozarkshooter
    Options
    Clean the grid?!?!? That's where the flavor comes from. :)
  • Morro Bay Rich
    Morro Bay Rich Posts: 2,227
    Options
    A couple of years ago someone posted a method (sorry I don't know whom to give the credit to) where they placed their grill in the top of a 30 gal garbage can lid and sprayed it with Dissolve then hosed it off.
  • BigGreenDon
    BigGreenDon Posts: 167
    Options
    Occasionally I'll spray with oven cleaner and use my pressure washer after a 10 minute soak.

There is an experiment that I have been meaning to try, however. Oven cleaner is a strong alkaline chemical -- contains lye, and they used to obtain lye by mixing water with ashes.

I wonder if the egg's own ashes can be used to help clean the grid? Investigation to follow...

Don
  • 'Q Bruddah
    'Q Bruddah Posts: 739
    Options
    I have used this method with regular dish soap and very hot water in the inverted lid. Give it a good long soak, even overnight. It is surprising how much water the lid will hold and it needs to be nearly full to cover the grid. A garbage bag with newspaper sprayed with household ammonia and the grid inside then twisted and tied is another method.
  • 'Q Bruddah
    'Q Bruddah Posts: 739
    Options
    BGD, I just did the research for this when someone asked about ideas to recycle ashes. It is far easier and cheaper to find lab produced lye IF that's what you have your heart set on. IMO I would stick with oven cleaner or ammonia they are probably safer.
  • MAC
    MAC Posts: 442
    Options
    Dawn makes a product in a blue spray bottle. Power grease remover or something like that. It works well.
  • Jayeffel
    Jayeffel Posts: 13
    Options
    lye from wood ash + grease = soap
  • ernie
    ernie Posts: 5
    Options
    cleaning the inside of the egg. I have a small and it is totally grease encrusted from the daisy wheel down to the top of the fire ring and the gasket was soaked with grease and came right off with minimum effort. Been working with dish washer detergent with all kinds of scraping and sweat!! Gotta be a better way.