Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pizza set-up

Okeejohn
Okeejohn Posts: 297
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Sorry, but don't have time to check the archives. Is a pizza set-up start with the place settet with the legs down and then the pizza stone on top??

Okeejohn

Comments

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Okeejohn,

Yes but space the pizza stone off the platesetter with the little feet that came with the egg or split firebricks or something else.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Okeejohn
    Okeejohn Posts: 297
    Thanks buddy!!!

Okeejohn
  • Blizzard58
    Blizzard58 Posts: 35
    Little Steven wrote:
    Okeejohn,

Yes but space the pizza stone off the platesetter with the little feet that came with the egg or split firebricks or something else.

Steve
    I was wondering about the little feet Steven is talking about because I never got anything like that with my xlge
  • Blizzard58
    Blizzard58 Posts: 35
    All I had to do was read another post a couple of lines down. I guess the xlge dosen't come with the little feet. Dahhhhhhh
  • The feet don't come with the XL. BGE was concerned about the base being to wide to have an unsupported middle area.
  • fieroguy
    fieroguy Posts: 777
    Okeejohn - My set-up is direct with a 16" stone sitting atop an adjustable rig. The bottom of the stone is about 3" above the felt line making it much easier to handle the pie. I check the temp of the stone with an I.R. thermometer and place the pie on the stone after the stone is 450* or higher.
  • Boogie
    Boogie Posts: 137
    The PS Legs down method is what I like best as well. Keep in mind the temp of the stone and dome depend on the style of crust you are using. We love super thin crust, so 700 degree dome works best, but you need to make sure your stone is super hot as well. The thicker the dough, the lower the temp so as not to burn the top of the pizza before the crust is done. Another tip: I've always had trouble with corn meal/flour when transporting the pizza to the egg. Thus, we make them on parchment paper and remove it a minute or so into the cook once the dough sets up.

We just made pizzas tonight, but I didn't get any pictures. Mine was Gaeta olives, sopressata, mozzarella, and basil. Amazing