Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Permatex is curing

Options
Deckhand
Deckhand Posts: 318
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Decided to try a "Permatex only" gasket. Ran a thick bead of Ultra Copper all the way around the lower rim and flattened it with a plastic putty knife. Sprayed with cooking oil and covered with plastic wrap. Closed the dome Didn't remove the bands... Top was well adjusted and I didn't want to screw things up. (mistake) Figured the Permatex would squish and fill any gaps. It squished, alright... some of it into the gap between the bands and the ceramic. A furious half hour followed... using paper towels and fingernails to get the Permatex out of the bands. Think we got it all.
Plan to leave the top bare. Will check things in the morning and let you know how the "lazy man's gasket" turned out. Hope I don't have to find out how to remove Permatex.

Comments

• Morro Bay Rich
    Morro Bay Rich Posts: 2,227
    Options
    Your findings will be most interesting, especially after a few cooks with your new setup. Please be sure to let us know how things work out.
  • Humphrey Chimpden Earwicker
    Options
    It's worked before. Should work for you too
  • Gator Bait
    Gator Bait Posts: 5,244
    Options

I have thought I may do my next gasket the same way. I will be interested to hear your results.

Gator

• Deckhand
    Options
    Took a peek after 3 hrs. Permatex no longer stickey but still pliable. Easily trimmed the excess from the inside edge using a razor knife. Surface is smooth except for pattern made by the edge of the dome. If I were to do it again, I would remove the band from the lower half just to make it easier to trim the excess on the outside. Wouldn't have to be so careful when spreading the goo. Just squeeze on, spread a little, cover with wax paper or plastic put the dome in place.
    Spraying the plastic with cooking oil let it pull off easily while still forming to the upper and lower halves. Probably could have left the plastic off after curing 3 hrs but I didn't want to take a chance on gluing my egg together again so I put some new plastic wrap over it again after taking the peek. Supposed to be fully cured in 24 hrs. Will post results.
  • Luvs to shoot clay
    Options
    I plan to do that same thing on my next gasket. Looking forward to some results and pictures if you have any.
  • Deckhand
    Options
    14 hrs now...Permatex is firm to the touch but not rock hard. Think it's supposed to keep some flexibility after curing. Passed dollar bill test without adjustment. Will wait another 8 hrs before firing it up. (Instructions say it's fully cured in 24 hrs).
  • Vetereggnarian
    Options
    I wondered if this would work, but didn't look it up. When you "squished" it was it the full weight of the dome or did you support it some? I suspect the Permatex would peel right off if you need to remove it.
  • ranger ray
    ranger ray Posts: 812
    Options
    i'm the original inventor of the permatex gasket.... i replaced my felt gasket with it after the first hour that i owned the egg.... it's been on there for seven years and is still working fine.... i used the red stuff cause that was what was in the toolbox at the time.... i'm sure the gold stuff is even better.... ray
  • ranger ray
    ranger ray Posts: 812
    Options
    i'm the original inventor of the permatex gasket.... i replaced my felt gasket with it after the first hour that i owned the egg.... it's been on there for seven years and is still working fine.... i used the red stuff cause that was what was in the toolbox at the time.... i'm sure the gold stuff is even better.... ray
  • Deckhand
    Options
    When it was "squish time" I just lowered the dome onto the saran wrap covered Permatex. No support. It seals well...at least dollar bills. Not quite as much cushioning as with the original two felt gaskets. Could still do the top but not at this time. Thanks for the idea, ranger ray.
  • Deckhand
    Options
    Cooked burgers tonight. No leaks. Permatex shows no signs of heat ever being applied. Will let everyone know how it holds up after some high heat cooks.