Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

My Egg is Sweating?

Lumpy Joe
Lumpy Joe Posts: 11
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hey there all / i'm new to this forum.

I recently started smoking chicken on my egg / and a few times I left the skin on. It seems like...my egg has "absorbed" the fat or some sort of moisture - and now when I cook on the egg and let it get really hot - it starts to sweat ...and it's actually orange in color. To go with it, I've used Durqee's chicken/rib rub - which is orange in color. Wondering if that's my problem - It's really weird- not sure if it'll go away or what to do. Has anyone had this issue? joe

Comments

• Where do you see the "sweat"?
  • Lumpy Joe
    it's on the outside of the dome / the lid. I can wipe it away, then it'll come back. feels like moisture (fat?) was absorb, somehow, into the ceramic dome...and keeps coming out.
  • FLbobecu
    FLbobecu Posts: 309
    Any pictures? I'm curious...
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Its not an unknown phenomena. Most often it happens when a bunch of low temperature cooks is followed by a high temp cook. The moisture and soot, etc, that have been absorbed by the ceramic is then driven out by the heat. There have been other situations reported, but it has never been a cause of damage. I've had it once, quite badly. Brown droplets all over, really icky. But easily cleaner.

And, any orange color that would survive fire and a trip thru the ceramic would kind of weird me out.
  • Lumpy Joe
    Well there it is then....that's what i've been doing. I smoked 3 lbs of jalapenos' at 180 for 12 hours and several other "low and slow" cooks lately - and hadn't had the egg up to 500 degrees+ for a while. The orange - well - no clue - other than it is! I'll have to snap a photo (last poster wondered if I had a picture of it). That makes me feel better...thanks for the answer!

by the way...the apple wood smoked "chipotle" peppers are great in salsa and eggs and other stuff. :)....
  • Capt Frank
    Capt Frank Posts: 2,578
    I had it once also, went away, no problem, but it does make you wonder :)

Capt Frank
    Homosassa, FL
  • PhilsGrill
    PhilsGrill Posts: 2,256
    This is due to an uncovered egg and rain as ceramic does absorb moisture along with little use of the egg. You need to cook on it more and cover it when not in use and the rain absorption will be minimal.
  • Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    Lumpy,

NEED TO COOK MORE! ;)

Eggs are porous and will take in 'moisture' be it from rain or humidity. You sweated it out and now it should be dry. A cover will help a bit and I'm not so sure the slo-low cooking plays any roll at all.
  • usually associated with lots of rain and an infrequently used egg.

not sure the lo-and-slo cooks do anything to exacerbate it really. i can tell you it only happenms here if it has been so rainy that the egg 1.) has surface water to absorb thru the crazing and 2.) it rains enough that i don't bother cooking on the egg (which would have driven off moisture a little at a time)
  • Lumpy Joe
    hey thanks....
    i moved from colorado (semi-arid) and had my egg under a roof cover to Iowa...WET!...with no cover...and it's been raining like crazy. I get it! thanks for the insights...much appreciated / joe
  • Lumpy Joe
    got it! i moved from colorado to iowa....had it under a cover out there but now it's out in the rain a lot. and i don't have a cover / time to buy a cover. (and we'll get to cooking on it more :)...thanks a bunch. joe
  • Lumpy Joe
    yep..it's rained like crazy and I have no cover so I haven't cook on it as much / did last night and I had my mysterious orange moisture everywhere....thanks / the mystery is solved
  • Sundazes
    Sundazes Posts: 307
    Due to the very rainy spring and excess of pollen this on the east coast, my lg was sweating yellow. Just wiped it off. Work travel kept me from using it for several weeks.
  • Does anyone know whether they are using the new style mini hinges yet for warranty replacement. Mine needs a new one but I wanted to wait to make sure I would get the new style.

Steve
  • Oops. Wasn't paying attention. Sorry about that.