Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket HELP! Buy School Shoes or try another Brisket?

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
OK, Please somebody unselfishly step up and tell me how to cook a Brisket. I've failed and failed and failed again as recently as the last 24 hours.[p]Elder Ward, and his extremely detailed pulled pork technique, was extremely unselfish and truly a god send for my continued love of the Egg.[p]T-Rex and his method for cooking steaks cost my daughter a boyfriend. Not long after I cooked Ribeyes for him he broke up with her. I keep telling her he knew that night there was no way he could truly satisfy her.[p]You name it; I've always been able to find the answer to ALL questions here with the exception of how to cook a GOOD Brisket. I find a hint here or a whiff of an idea there but as for someone willing to lay it on the line...nadda! I've tried all the hints and whiffs. I've tried Fat up Fat down, cooked to 205* cooked to 190* cooked at 225* and 250* used the "twist the fork method" but to be honest with you my Briskets are always bone ass dry. My wife still laughs at me - she puts one in the oven, goes to work and the family loves it. [p]I'm MAD! My family "ate" tonight’s brisket, but what was left will go to the homeless shelter tomorrow and I will purchase another Brisket tomorrow and try again and again and will continue to take them to the homeless shelter daily until they either find employment, for fear they have to eat Brisket again, or I finally conquer this mystery. [p]School starts next week, so please, someone help me while I still have a little jingle in my pocket to buy my little girl some school shoes.[p]Marty

Comments

• Grumpa
    Grumpa Posts: 861
    Options
    LAD,[p]Since you feel good with Elder's pork method, then why not try his brisket method.[p]Here is the link for you.

[ul][li]Elder's Brisket[/ul]
  • mollyshark
    mollyshark Posts: 1,519
    Options
    LAD,[p]Most of the brisket errors I've seen come from cooking at too high a temperature or from the wrong cut of brisket.[p]If you're doing a low and slow brisket, you need one that has not been trimmed of all the fat. Those lovely flat briskets that look like steaks won't do it. You need an ugly one with a good fat layer on it.[p]Temp-wise, I never do mine over 225 which means not letting it go too high in the beginning because it is hellacious to bring back down. Take it off when it hits internal 190, wrap it in foil and then an old beach towel, and let it sit for a bit before you cut it. A bit being 1/2-1 hr. I got antsy with my first one and took it off at the plateau period. Tasty, but not melt in your mouth.[p]I agree with Bob's idea. Take a look at Elder Ward's stuff. Pretty straight forward and always successful.[p]mShark
  • JM3
    JM3 Posts: 272
    Options
    LAD,[p] I did two 9 lb flats last Thursday/Friday for a meeting my mother-in-law was having at her house. [p] I kept the dome temp at 200-250 until the briskets made it through the plateau and then cranked it up to 275-300 dome when them meat temp hit 175. It took a long time, but they were very moist and had the people at the meeting raving about them.[p] I use a plate setter with a drip pan (filled with white wine and water in this case because I had no beer) and place the brisket on the grid. [p] Good luck! I know you can do it. Don't worry my kids love going barefoot. I can't get them to wear shoes 1/2 the time. Doesn't hurt living in GA though.[p]John
  • LAD,[p]Thanks for the suggestions so far. I'm off to make my delivery to St Josephs Diner and then to Sams to purchase yet another Brisket trusting that by the time I get home later today there will be a world of tips and tricks posted here. [p]Marty

• JM3,[p]You raised the temp at 175* or pulled them off at 175*?[p]Thanks, Marty

• LAD,[p]I've not cooked a brisket yet. I will eventually though. But here's my thoughts on having someone being able to tell anyone how to cook a brisket or any other food for that matter. Cooking is like playing golf. Those who do it well couldn't tell you how they did, they just do it. Some are willing to offer advice. That advice works for some, but not for others. And there's always someone who is willing to charge you money to show you exactly how they do it. Again, sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. There are many different ways to get to a good end product and they're not all text book procedures. Arnold Palmer had the worst swing I've ever seen, but look how well he played. He probably never would have been great if some golf instructor had force him to change the way he swung a golf club. Cooking is just like that. There's lots and lots of advice in this forum, the archives and other forums on how to cook brisket. You're going to have to pick and choose which advice you use and learn the hard way like most of the others.[p]-The Unkown Chef

• sprinter
    sprinter Posts: 1,188
    Options
    LAD,[p]First of all, a brisket is NEVER going to be as tender and juicy as a butt or a shoulder. If thats what you're looking for or expecting out of a good brisket then I hate to tell you, it just isnt going to happen. Not sure if this is the case, or if you or your family is expecting that but if so, then you'll never reach those expectations. Its just not the same.[p]I cook my briskets whole, point and flat together. I DO trim the flat a bit, and take a lot of the fat out of the REALLY fatty areas of the brisket between the flat and point. Other than that I leave a nice layer of fat on the brisket. I've not found much difference between fat up or down during the cook. The biggest thing that I've found is that I need to let it SIT, wrapped in foil and a towel in a cooler, for a GOOD LONG TIME once its done. I do this fat side UP. I typically cook the thing about 240 until it reaches about 185, then wrap and cooler it, place it fat side UP in the cooler and forget about it. Literally 2-3 hours later I come back and take it out. DO NOT LOSE THE LIQUID that has rendered into the foil. I like to mix a bit of that with the sauce I'm going to use as a finishing sauce, served with the meat. Slice it against the grain, pour a little of the reserved sauce/liquid onto it, and put it on the table.[p]As someone mentioned before, this is the way I do it, not the right or wrong or best way, just my preference but its worked well for me.[p]Hope this helps.[p]Troy
  • Mea Culpa
    Options
    I'm certainly no brisket master, but one tip I read about that does seem to help with tenderness and moistness is to start with the most flexible cut you can find. Hold the brisket in the center and let the ends hang. The more it bends the more tender it will be. It's not easy to tell sometimes with cryovac packaging, so I just feel for softness.[p]I've even read about choosing only left side briskets, but haven't gone that far yet.

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    brisket179.jpg
    <p />sprinter,
    Great post Troy. When I hear of folks having repeated failures with brisket I often wonder if it might be their expectations, and not the brisket.[p]Only thing I can add is that each cook is different, and the brisket will be tender at different points. I have had briskets that were poke-tender at 178, and I have had some that didn't give up until they reached 200. I think the key is to get the thing off the pit and wrapped as soon as they reach that point....wherever it may be. The one in the picture was a 3 pound chunk of flat cooked at 215 grate level for 11 hours. It was tender at 179. [p]Hot coffee toya.
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • LAD,[p]Sorry, I can't help, but I do share your pain. I could never get a moist brisket, and more than one made it to the trash.

• Smoked Signals
    Options
    LAD,
    A dry brisket is not a dead brisket. It's like burnt ends as long as it has a nice crust (a very tasty treat). Chop the brisket into small pieces and dump it in some sauce or beans. Wow.

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,770
    Options
    Nature Boy, i totally agree with the expectation thing. being from new england i have little to compare my barbaque against, so im only trying to improve my own food to meet my tastes. im never trying to make it taste like someone elses, if i did i would be cooking things like mcribs.also, those chefrd wings that you suggested last week, those are good. had some cold this morning for breakfast.

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • BluesnBBQ
    BluesnBBQ Posts: 615
    Options
    LAD,[p]Try another brisket. If it ends up dry as shoe leather, well that solves the other problem. :)
  • JM3
    JM3 Posts: 272
    Options
    LAD,
    I raised the temp on the dome to 275-300 when the meat temp reached 175. I pulled them off the grill when the meat temp reached 185. I found that if I take my brisket much higher it dries out more than I would like.[p]John

• Pakak
    Pakak Posts: 523
    Options
    "I've even read about choosing only left side briskets ..."[p]What if the cow was left-hoofed? :)
  • The Unknown Chef, I betcha it's not so unknown as to how good a golfer you are on a consistent basis...your phylosophy is flawed in that golf and cooking have natural born teachers and there really is a "right" way to do things that makes repeating success much easier. Just MHO.

• LAD,[p]Thanks to EVERYONE who took the time to reply to my plea for Brisket help. As a result of your replys, both here and via email, I now have a burst of energy to make a run at it again. I'll keep ya'll posted.[p]Nothing like an attitude adjustment period![p]Thanks again, [p]Marty