Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Woo or ar

Options
Mazzdog
Mazzdog Posts: 44
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm considering the woo or ar. I don't do a lot of low and slow. Mostly use as grill and I want to get pizza stone. I love chicken and want to raise it up a bit so I don't burn the wings. For low and slow I don't do more than1 pork butt or brisket. Ribs I'd do a few but I don't go crazy. I have a large egg. I plan on buying cast iron grate soon also. I already have platesetter also.

So question is am I better off with the woo or ar?

Comments

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,759
    Options
    i like the ar because it sits higher as its taller, but for what your going to do with it the woo is fine. the ar also allows you to lift the whole thing out of the egg which can be usefull for things like turkey.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Capt Frank
    Capt Frank Posts: 2,578
    Options
    My cooks sound similar to yours and I use the woo3 in my large and am very happy with it. Get the small pizza stone and drip pan they sell as a package and you have a nice setup :)

Capt Frank
    Homosassa, FL
  • Capt Frank
    Capt Frank Posts: 2,578
    Options
    Also, check out the Craycort CI grates, very versatile, not cheap, but versatile :laugh: It is cast-iron-grate.com

Capt Frank
    Homosassa, FL
  • Mazzdog
    Options
    Do you just set the ar in there with a grate in the bottom level and pull the whole thing up when you take out turkey?

I do plan on smoking a turkey this year.
  • fishlessman
    Options
    yep, would rather get the bird onto the table and work from there than try to get at it from in the egg. my ar stays in the truck so i have it when up at camp. it stays together with the two grates, pizza stone and paella drip pan as one unit. like i said if you just need to raise a grill, either the woo, or a second grill and two fire brick splits work well, i used the firebricks and second grill for years
    fukahwee maine

• Mazzdog
    Options
    Could you post a pic?

Think I'm leaning towards the ar rig combo with the sliding tray. Has anyone used this? I really want the spider and this comes with it.

I hate not being able to make up my mind!
  • fishlessman
    Options
    this isnt my standard setup for turkey but it was last tdays setup. the pan just fits and its hard to get gloved hands around the handles when its lowered into the egg. with this setup you can just remove the rack and everything comes with it. i dont have the sliding rack setup so im not familiar with it

DSC_0089.jpg

this is a two level rib cook, if you tried to move everything around with the egg open the temps climb too high, removing it and shutting the dome keeps temps down while you get the food moved around on the grill

DSC_0062.jpg
    fukahwee maine