Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New Egger - Temp Questions

Options
rogersab
rogersab Posts: 17
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hey guys -

So I'm new to the green egg and getting to my temps has been a bit of a chore.

Can someone walk me through a tried and true method for hitting a temp - say 350 - from lighting to a stable temp? I'm using the quick starters but when those are gone I'll be switching to a charcoal chimney.

What I'm doing now is getting the fire started (several coals lit) and closing the egg with both dampers wide open. Once I notice the temp start to climb, I'll close both slightly to keep from blowing past my target temperature - as it takes forever to drop. The temp will climb a bit more and finally stabilize (usually well below my target). Then it will start to actually decrease.

Can someone tell me what I'm doing wrong? I eventually get it but it seems to be alot more work than most are having.

I've seen the guide with the damper settings, btw.

Andy

Comments

• Mazzdog
    Mazzdog Posts: 44
    Options
    You'll figure it out... you're on track.. took me 4 or 5 times to figure out how to hold the higher temps, but i did it.. lower temps i'm still messing with but it's coming along. I use an electric starter.
  • bobbyb
    bobbyb Posts: 1,349
    Options
    those fire starters make you think the fire is hotter than it is. Then when they go out, the temp drops because the charcoal hasn't lit as well as you think it has. I say get yourself a MAPP torch, No need to mess around with a chimney. The egg is a chimney.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Leave top and bottom wide open til you get to 300°, maybe even 325°. Pay attention though. Then start closing things down. You can adjust with top and bottom vents or with one, but not the other. Lately, I've just been adjusting at the bottom, no DFMT at all.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Oh yeah, the chimney... if you use one, unless you want a high temp cook, don't dump a full chimney of glowing coals into the egg. Don't ask me how I know this. I only used one a couple of times. More trouble than it's worth.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Options
    Skip the chimney. Get a torch. Paper towel with a light splash of oil, twist and light will work too.
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • rosros
    rosros Posts: 408
    Options
    Your doing fine. Usually I use lite 3 starter cubes for the large, keep the dome open and bottom draft door wide open for 10 minutes or so (depends on wind condition). I check to see if the coals on bottom are glowing. Next I close the dome and for 350 degrees close the bottom draft door to around 2 inches and set the top for around 1/2inch. Half hour later ready to grill.
  • 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Options
    First off keep in mind I am using an egg that has been cleaned out and has fresh lump or I am liting an egg using lump that has been burned before and has been stired so the ash falls off the partially burned lump and falls through the bottom lump grate and has been raked out.

I may do things differently than others and I may change to a better way but for now. Here is how I do it. I lite my lump with the top and bottom vents wide open. After a short time I close the dome and spark screen and watch the dome thermometer rise. If I want my egg to stabilize at 300° I will wait until the egg reaches 300° then close the bottom damper slider door one inch.

When the temp goes beyond 300° I close the bottom damper half way and wait. (Keep in mind the daisy wheel is still off)

When the temp goes beyond 300° close the bottom vent to about one inch open and wait.

When the temp goes beyond 300° close the bottom vent to about half inch open and wait.

When the temp goes beyond 300° place the daisy wheel on with the petals open and the slider half way.

As the temp continues to rise continue to close the slider until your egg stabilizes at 300°.

I may take 15 or 20 minutes maybe even longer. I often let my egg sit at my desired temp for up to an hour. This way all the bad smokes clears out and the egg will recover fast after putting a big chunk of cold meat in there. This way you don't have to chase the temps around just leave the settings where they are set at and the egg will recover in time.

Here is a post by Granpas Grub use it as a guide to stabilizing your egg.

http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=718915&catid=1

I also use a wiggle stick. http://thirdeyebbq.com/WiggleRods.aspx

Here is a very good post by Grandpas Grub.
    http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=901811&catid=1
  • fire egger
    fire egger Posts: 1,124
    Options
    sounds like your on the right track. As has been said, the cubes will give you an artifical temp spike. each lighting method has unique characteristics. the oil and paper towel works for me, although I use a chimney and a electric starter both occasionaly.
    Once I close my dome, I wait until I'm within 50 degrees or so, then start closing the bottom damper. close it to say an inch or two, then see where it settles, go from there. if you go past the target temp slightly, not a big deal as long as you catch it quick before the ceramic heats up.
    good luck and have fun!!
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options

As you can see there are a lot of ways to light the egg and they all end up with a good stable temperature.

What you described is pretty normal depending on the starting material.

I think the following is covered in the Links 2Fategghead posted above.

With starter cubes, oil & paper towel, alcohol and such you will experience some of what you explained above. Using these or most any starter method that creates an initial flame you will experience...

Initial high temperature due to the flame up in the egg.

As the starter material burns out - you will see the initial fast temperature drop (no flame licking the upper area of the egg).

Then, a slow temperature climb - this is where you want to adjust your vents. About 30° below your desired cook temperature close down the lower vent to slowly reach your desired cook temperature.

I close the dome just after the starter material is fully light (30 seconds to 2 minutes after lighting - others will do it differently).

With MAPP or Propane...

Light the lump in 2 to 4 spots close the dome and adjust vents before reaching desired cook temperature.

There is a lot more to talk about on this subject, but for now I will leave it at this.

GG
  • tach18k
    tach18k Posts: 1,607
    Options
    On a large, when you hit 225 close down to:
    botom vent 1/8", top vent peddal 1/8"open = 250 deg dome
    botom vent all open, top vent peddal 1/4" open = 350 deg dome

These will give you a great ball park area, very little to do after that
  • Brokersmoker
    Brokersmoker Posts: 646
    Options
    With the cube starters, the first spike in temp is from the cube, fire not yet burning, wait for 1st spike to go down then on the 2nd rising of the temp start adjusting when about 50* from desired temp. Hope this helps
  • Rolling Egg
    Rolling Egg Posts: 1,995
    Options
    Carefull with that splash of oil comment. Someone might end up with some Valvoline 5w30 in their egg :woohoo: :woohoo: I know, I know, who's that dumb? But then again ;) you never know. :laugh: