Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope everyone enjoyed their Fourth of July weekend and is excited for more warm weather grilling! This week, we’ll be making these two burgers: Stuffed Portobello Mushroom and Caribbean Chicken, and also eating lots of these Ice Cream Sandwiches in honor of National Ice Cream Month! It's time to think about getting out to one of the many #EGGfests around the country - see a list here

smoking wild salmon

edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Have 194# of wild salmon, halibut, etc. Looking for a way to smoke it on my green egg. appreciate any input. Thanks

Comments

• Bobby-QBobby-Q Posts: 1,993
    Mack Ratchford,
    Buy about 15 bottles of Tsunami Spin, 3 or 4 20# bags of lump, 2 or 3 bags of Alder chips and about 4 cases of beer.[p]If you're looking for specific recipes and techniques, I'm sure you'll get several of those, but I thought I'd get the smart azz answer out of the way right off the bat.

• Bobby-Q,
    He needs to get some Ragin' River Rub, too!
    TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • LuvmyeggLuvmyegg Posts: 86
    Mack Ratchford,
    Both Tsunami spin and Raging River are yummy. Tsunami spin is my favorite for grilling. Does anyone have a good brining recipe as well as times and temps for smoking? I just bought some smoked salmon with alder in Seattle's Pike Place Market while on vacation. Really good as an appetizer with olive oil and capers sprinkled on top.

• Mack Ratchford,[p]Us smokers here in the PNW use alder to smoke salmon. The best way is to filet it, then soak it in salt water, (My father used to use a brine that would float an egg). I am sorry, but I don't remember how long he soaked them. Then smoke the halves with a LONG cool smoke with the alder. The fish should still be moist on the inside, but dry to the touch... you don't want to make fish jerky from it... oh yummm, you make my mouth water just thinking of it. [p]My father didn't have a BGE, but used an old refrigerator with a hot plate in the bottom. On the hot plate, he placed a cast iron skillet with alder chips. [p]jrterrier, who lives in the land of plentiful alder