Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pork Tenderloin Quesstions

Options
rogersab
rogersab Posts: 17
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hello everyone -

I'm going to pick up one of those pre-marinated tenderloins from COSTCO for a quick dinner tonight.

I've found instructions that say to keep the egg at about 350 until the pork is about 145-150. Sound about right?

I'm assuming use the platesetter for this, right?

Thanks,

Andy

Comments

• LFGEnergy
    LFGEnergy Posts: 618
    Options
    I do my direct at about 400, and they are awesome. 400 direct will put a little crust on outside ;) . Turn them a few times while cooking.

However, I target about 138 internal, which leaves a ting of pink in center (still hot), and does not dry it out. 150 would be dry, me thinks. They cook fast, so at 4-- you have to be watching your internal temp!

Tenderloins are one of those things that really impress people, especially when most folks dont know how to cook them without making shoe leather :sick: :ohmy: .

Dave in Keller, TX
  • Clay Q
    Clay Q Posts: 4,486
    Options
    Sound good. For extra flavor you can go direct on a raised grid, 350 dome with a little pecan smoke. You will not dry the meat out going direct.
    Also you can make your own marinade next time, less salt and no artificial ingredients that way. But what you stated, sounds good. Now you have choices. :P
  • Austin Egger
    Austin Egger Posts: 256
    Options
    I cook those regularly. I always go raised grid direct around 375 - 400. I usually pull them around 140 to 145 depending on my mood. They always turn out great. B)
  • Ike
    Ike Posts: 291
    Options
    I tried something new (for me) with some tenderloin this week.

I sliced them about 1" or so thick, then pounded the pieces down to about 1/4 to 3/8" thick, resembling a pork chop. I then coated both sides with evoo, sea salt and cracked black, and put some magic dust on one side. Cooked direct at around 350 on a raised grid, flipping a couple of times at around 4 or 5 mins each time.

They turned out to be a big hit with the family. Quite moist, tender, and tasty.
    Owensboro, KY.  First Eggin' 4/12/08.  Large, small, 22" Blackstone and lotsa goodies.
  • Capt Frank
    Capt Frank Posts: 2,578
    Options
    Direct on a raised [to the felt line] grid, 375-400, flip once, pull at 140, rest for 5-10 minutes, you will love them. They cook quick, so don't think you can mow your lawn while they are on the egg :P

Capt Frank
    Homosassa, FL
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    I do them 350 direct turning 1/4 turn every 10 minutes, pull at 145 and rest 10 minutes. -RP