Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It doesn’t get much hotter than the EGG cookin’ in July! Make sure to keep yourself hydrated with a bit of whatever you’re using for the Beer Can Chicken. Ice Cream Sandwiches are also a great way to stay cool. Looking for some great ideas for a summer cook out? Try out a Pimento Cheeseburger or Dr. BBQ’s Spare Rib Surprise. Just don’t be surprised if your neighbors stop by for a quick bite when they smell what you’re cooking!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Stoker

thegrillsterthegrillster Posts: 348
edited 3:43AM in EggHead Forum
Love my stoker!

Nuff said!
·

Comments

• Now that you bring it up. As the new owner of a Stoker, what was it that swayed you from the Guru? Also did you have any difficulty setting it up, getting it online etc.?
    ·
  • thegrillsterthegrillster Posts: 348
    I liked the monitoring features of the stoker, i.e. the ability to wirelessly control it.

I also like the fact that I can control many more probes with the stoker.

Plus, I just think it is cooler. Probably not functionally better but just seemed to have more of a gadget mentality behind it plus very useful.
    ·
  • h20eggh20egg Posts: 168
    LOL. As someone involved with process control systems, I was wondering if there was not someone out there who had produced something exactly like this! It's way over the top (c'mon people, we're cookin' meat over flames!) but I have to admit, it's going to be hard for me to resist one of these! I guess it will mean more temp probes relegated to the back of the "catch all" kitchen drawer!!!!
    ·
  • ViennaJackViennaJack Posts: 357
    The best thing about the Stoker is being in a meeting at work watching everyone check emails their Blackberries, and when I check my Blackberry, I'm checking on how my latest low-and-slow is doing, or switching to a holding temp once the food has reached the desired internal temperature.

It's a great conversation starter.

Oh, and now it "tweets" with the latest firmware.

I haven't been using mine much lately because I'm trying to practice temperature stabilization without a controller, but http://www.twitter.com/viennabbq is where it tweets when it's running.

Jack
    ·
  • thailandjohnthailandjohn Posts: 952
    When I bought the Egg, I liked it. After I bought my "Stoker", I love it
    ·
  • Looks like you have a nice 14 pound chuck roast on right now. Let me know how it goes.

How long of a burn would I be able to get with a stoker on a medium egg? How do you start the burn and put your chips in?
    ·
  • ViennaJackViennaJack Posts: 357
    Thanks - this is my first time with a chuck roast. I'm cooking them just like a pork butt, two roasts at about 7 pounds each. The first one just came off and I just finished pulling it. Delicious. Waiting for the second one to come up to 195 now.

I'm probably not the best person to ask about slow and low times with a medium but I can't imagine you not being able to do a 14-20 hour slow and low cook on a full load of lump. I'd post a new message and ask some actual medium owners to be certain though.
    ·