Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Wicked Good - NOT!

elzbth
elzbth Posts: 2,075
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am having a very difficult time getting the egg going today. I have always used the starter cubes with, which have worked for me. I've used them with the Fresh Market store brand lump, but last week opened a bag of Wicked Good. The first cook was a snap. Today, I'm ready to scream. Any secrets to starting this stuff??

Comments

• thebtls
    thebtls Posts: 2,300
    Some here on the forum buy it by the pallet and swear by it; personally I bought one bag several months back and cooked with it one time and put the rest out to the trash the next Tuesday.

As far as lighting difficulties I don't like the cubes myself because they smoke, I use the landmann fire starters and never have to relight a single fire box full of any kind of lump myself.p2707809reg.jpg
    Visit my blog, dedicated to my Big Green Egg Recipies at http://www.bigtsbge.blogspot.com You can also follow my posts on FaceBook under the name Keep On Eggin' or the link http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Keep-On-Eggin/198049930216241
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    I bought 15 bags of WG last fall. Been using it ever since. Never had a problem and love the stuff. I have used cubes, 91% isopropyl and MAPP. MAPP's the best for me, but they all work.

You sure it didn't get wet?

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• very dense. needs some time, and maybe an extra starter cube.

the density is a good thing, but makes it harder to start.
  • Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    I liked it for long cooks. I use Chigger Creek for fast and hot.

Mike
  • elzbth
    elzbth Posts: 2,075
    Thanks everyone. I've used it before, just never had problems lighting it - this bag has more large pieces than the others I've used (I bought 12 bags about 3 years ago). It was not wet - I wonder if the starter cubes were somehow the culprit. Sometimes things just don't work out. I'll try again.
  • Just for the record...
    I use WG and RO, starting it with birch bark, a gas torch or 91% alcohol and it all works well with the torch being the fastest.
    However, I too have had trouble upon occasion starting the lump and I think...
    Wet is a relative thing as in relative humidity. We have been in a “wet weather pattern” of late and even though my lump is stored, up off the floor, out in my woodshop it takes a bit more time to get going well after a week or two of rain.
    Just my observation.
  • It's great charcoal. It is the only type my Egg has ever had in it. I have never had even remotely a problem starting it. It sounds like it is more how you are trying to light it. Alternatively, it is possibly moist or humid. Where do you store it?
  • I use WGC and started out using the BGE fire starter cubes. A good friend of mine showed me the BBQ Guru's "5-in-1 Golf Club" and after I saw it, I had to have it.

http://www.thebbqguru.com/products/Guru-Golf-Club-5-In-1-BBQ-Tool-%2d-Flame-Spreader.html

This thing starts my lump in 5 minutes regardless if the lump is fresh or has been used before.
  • Big Papa
    Big Papa Posts: 220
    I love it !!!!

I will not use any other Lump Hardwood.
  • ranger ray
    ranger ray Posts: 812
    it probably got damp..... i don't know where you're from.... but the humidity has been extreme here... perhaps after opening the bag store it in a low humidity area ...or seal it in a plastic bag.... thanks! ray
  • SkySaw
    SkySaw Posts: 656
    I use Maple Leaf lump almost exclusively. I had the chance to buy some Wicked Good ww for a good deal, so I picked up a couple of bags just to try it.

I too found it took a long time to get going, but the thing that actually bothered me about the ww was how much white ash it produced. I had never seen a fine layer of white ash all over the inside of my egg before. Although I agree that the ww has one of the most subtle wood smoke tastes, I found that the ash was also on my food.

The bags I received had such large pieces that I had to bust the lump up to get an even distribution of piece sizes. Busting lump - who would have thought?!

Mark