Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Mini firering/indirect setup

Options
cookingdude555
cookingdude555 Posts: 3,194
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I got my mini today from my brother, and I am looking into an indirect setup. Since the firering is cracked, I was considering getting a second firering, and adding the newer 10" grid as well. I was wondering if anyone has tried two firerings and two cooking grates for an indirect setup? So from the bottom to the top you would have:

firebox
my old firering
10" grate
drip pan in space new firering creates
new firering
9" grate
food (a few thighs, handful of wings, etc ..)

Am I too high into the dome on this setup? I also looked at the ceramicgrillstore setup for the mini, and while I like it, it would cost more than the setup I outlined (56+ shipping, plus 30 to amazon for stones). A new firering is ~30 last time I checked with my dealer, and I cant imagine the 10" grate is very costly. I can afford either solution, but I am just keeping the peace with my wife since I need to spread out my bbq purchases to keep her happy ;) .

Thanks guys, I appreciate all of your ideas and input. I am open to all solutions, pics are welcome if you got em.

PS - I switched me small to an expanded metal fire grate that I made, and it helped a ton, I may do the same on this as it has a thicker ceramic fire grate. Anyone do this on the mini?

Comments

• YB
    YB Posts: 3,861
    Options
    I have had 2 grids in my mini eggs for years and they work good.I had a couple of 9"x1 1/2"x 1/8" stainless steel rings made but you could have some made 9 3/4" with the new grids.Here is a couple of pictures.
    Larry

fe1c.jpg

minicook.jpg

4e30.jpg
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options

It's cold and raining out side, what are you doin...

There was a post a while back that someone use some square stock. I tried to find the post but couldn't locate it with the search words I tried.

I will "try" to describe it. Some square tubing (3/4 to 1 inch) cut the length to the height you want - you will need 3 or 4 'stilts'. Notch out two opposite sides of the bottom of the tube. The bottom will have two length that will fit in front and behind the fire ring and will hold vertical. I was wondering about rather than cutting out the pieces just bend them so they would be horizontal stabilizers to prevent side to side tipping on the fire ring. Front to back (from the egg wall) tipping would be prevented by the lengths left from the cut out.

This would work for a raised grid or with 2 grids.

I have the mini woo so no need to make any of these for myself.

bratsonmini.jpg

GG
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Kent, you talking about these? About 1.5" square as I recall. This is for a large though. They wobble a little, but it's not a problem at all.

4056055785_7421cd60d0_b.jpg

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Grandpas Grub
    Options

Yup that's it...

I was thinking instead of cutting out the missing pieces cut up the edge and bend so they support the 'stilt'.

Kent
  • Carolina Q
    Options
    Might work. Would have been easier too. Why didn't you tell me that before?! :lol:

I really have no problem with them wobbling a bit. I've used 'em a bunch too.

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Grandpas Grub
    Options

If you would have told me you were making them then I would have suggested the modification.

What material did you use to make them?

I need to so something for the medium and small. With the small, if I keep it, I will probably get Chubby's GrateMates. I like the idea of the ring and being able to slide the mates to the back of the egg when not using.

Kent
  • Carolina Q
    Options
    I guess I could weld on a piece that stuck out an inch or two on both sides, but I don't really see the need. It's just mild steel I scrounged on a trip to dump some stuff at the local recycling center. I think it was part of some exercise equipment. It was powder coated. It's good I have a blast cabinet. :)

Looks to me like grate-mates would be pretty easy to fab. As long as I used material that was thin enough for my brake to handle. And didn't mind the fact that my welding skills suck.

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Grandpas Grub
    Options

I hate it when people have all the tools at hand and me with a hammer. :)

I would love to get a welder.

Kent
  • cookingdude555
    Options
    YB- I like that setup, I wouldnt even know who to call about making something like that. Metal shop, welder?

GG- Yes, the rain was bad today. I was up in Millcreek all day for a cub scout event for my son, and then worked in the rain in the back yard getting ready for some friends to come over for dinner. Luckily the rain stopped, but it barley made it above 50 today, its June 12th? I had the Mini and the Large doing steaks tonight, and the Weber Performer making ABT's. It was real good, fun grilling night, even in the rain and cold weather Thanks for the idea on that metal stock, I will look into that.

Michael- Good picture of what you set up, thanks for posting. I am going to have to play around with that idea.
  • Clay Q
    Clay Q Posts: 4,486
    Options
    BGEminismokedporkbutt0006.jpg
    I use a second fire ring and it works for me. Gets the food a little higher away from the lump so there's less burning during a direct cook. The mini plate setter is sweet. With it I can do low-and-slow cooks, bake and roasting. Another advantage; the second fire ring forms a shield that protects the gaskets during a high temp steak sear or multiple pizza cooks.

IMG_3890.jpg

BGEMiniaccessories006.jpg

BGEminilambchops0002.jpg
  • cookingdude555
    Options
    Clay, that is exactly what I am looking for! I must have seen your post before in my hours of mini research. Thats one of the problems with searching archives, links to pictures on image hosting sites are sometimes broken over time. Thanks for posting those again. I do remember seeing that plate setter that you made. I am glad to see that there is still clearance with two fire rings. I am going to call tomorrow and see if they can add a fire ring to my new band assembly/DFMT order that I placed on Friday.

I made a new fire grate out of expanded metal today, the ceramic one was pretty thick. I think I added another 1/2" of available lump space, and it came up to temp pretty quick on my test run. Its crazy that a double handful load up lump brought that thing up to 750 in a little over 10 minutes. Ok, a weed burner helps ... alot. The mini is a BBQ microwave.
  • Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    Options
    Michael,

Betcha Donuts ta dollars, you wobble a little too. :ohmy: :laugh: