Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Need direction

bbqmyway
bbqmyway Posts: 64
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Going to Raliegh, NC next wekend and would like to try some real eastern North Carolina pulled pork. Need some ideas from fellow eggheads. Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Most people take I-40 to Raleigh, but it really depends on where you're coming from. If you can give me a starting point, I can give clear directions.
  • 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    bbqmyway, Can you be more spicific.

Do you need to know what restaurants there are in Raleigh and the surrounding area?

Do you need a specific recipe?

I'm sure you know how to get to Raleigh,NC

Tim
  • bbqmyway
    Yes but what I need is the location of the best pulled pork restaurant in Raliegh. I will exit off at exit 81 onto 40.
  • bbqmyway
    Restaurants please
  • The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Ok, not to be a smart*ss, but if you want real Eastern NC BBQ, you will need to keep going until you get to Eastern NC. Raleigh is in the piedmont, so you will probably find piedmont BBQ. :laugh:

But now that I have given you that priceless information, I'd suggest:

Chapel Hill - Allen & Son
    6203 Millhouse at Airport Road
    Chapel Hill, NC
    about a mile north of i-40 on 86.
    (919) 942-7576
    Open for lunch and dinner Monday-Saturday
    Cooked uncompromisingly in the old way. Not too finely chopped, kind of coarse and chunky. Genuine hickory cooked article. Pork shoulders with a dark robust hickory flavor that's unmatched anywhere else.
    Only with home made french fries, worth the trip right there. Wonderful homemade desserts.

I don't know the exit number but coming from the west, it is the third exit after you split off of I85.

Now if you want a restaurant IN Raleigh, you might want to try Ed Mitchell's The Pit:

328 West Davie Street
    Raleigh, NC 27601
    (919) 890-4500

He says he serves Eastern NC barbecue. He has gotten lots of rave reviews. But if you want a less commercial real country bbq place, I'd try to make it to Allen Brothers.

Good luck!
    The Naked Whiz
  • Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    You beat me too it..

Yep Raleigh is in the Piedmont. Closest real Eastern NC Style BBQ and good would be Wilbur's in Goldboro.

Allen and Bros. is definitely Piedmont.

Now is wants really good he'll have to come to Kitrell LOL
  • The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    I just edited my post to add that we have Ed Mitchell's The Pit in downtown Raleigh. He says he serves Eastern NC bbq. I haven't been, but I've heard good things. But, I wonder if he splits hickory logs in the back of his place in downtown Raleigh, lol!
    The Naked Whiz
  • Morro Bay Rich
    Morro Bay Rich Posts: 2,227
    You will probably exit off of I-85 on to I-40. :unsure:
  • bbqmyway
    Thanks Guys for the information and correction on location. Will try a couple of the places and get back to you in a week or so.
  • Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    Pete,

Why not just come cook with you. Your is real ain't it? :huh:
  • Celtic Wolf
    Who do you think lives in Kittrell... :woohoo:
  • Celtic Wolf
    There is Holden's on US-1 in Youngsville. I heard praise of that place and my Father-in-law will eat there. That alone is some credentials, as he doesn't eat BBQ just any old place.

Isn't the Pit where the guy does the 30 minute Ribs? He combines Eastern and Western Style sauces. Which is essentially what a Piedmont sauce is anyway.

Now back to the wedding prep...