Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

smoking wild salmon

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Have 194# of wild salmon, halibut, etc. Looking for a way to smoke it on my green egg. appreciate any input. Thanks

Comments

• Bobby-Q
    Bobby-Q Posts: 1,994
    Options
    Mack Ratchford,
    Buy about 15 bottles of Tsunami Spin, 3 or 4 20# bags of lump, 2 or 3 bags of Alder chips and about 4 cases of beer.[p]If you're looking for specific recipes and techniques, I'm sure you'll get several of those, but I thought I'd get the smart azz answer out of the way right off the bat.

• The Naked Whiz
    Options
    Bobby-Q,
    He needs to get some Ragin' River Rub, too!
    TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • Luvmyegg
    Luvmyegg Posts: 86
    Options
    Mack Ratchford,
    Both Tsunami spin and Raging River are yummy. Tsunami spin is my favorite for grilling. Does anyone have a good brining recipe as well as times and temps for smoking? I just bought some smoked salmon with alder in Seattle's Pike Place Market while on vacation. Really good as an appetizer with olive oil and capers sprinkled on top.

• jrterrier
    Options
    Mack Ratchford,[p]Us smokers here in the PNW use alder to smoke salmon. The best way is to filet it, then soak it in salt water, (My father used to use a brine that would float an egg). I am sorry, but I don't remember how long he soaked them. Then smoke the halves with a LONG cool smoke with the alder. The fish should still be moist on the inside, but dry to the touch... you don't want to make fish jerky from it... oh yummm, you make my mouth water just thinking of it. [p]My father didn't have a BGE, but used an old refrigerator with a hot plate in the bottom. On the hot plate, he placed a cast iron skillet with alder chips. [p]jrterrier, who lives in the land of plentiful alder