Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Copper River salmon

RRP
RRP Posts: 25,880
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
National Public Radio did a piece this morning about the hoopla in Seattle about Copper River salmon which experts claim to be the world's best. Do we have any eggperts to attest to that? Either way the piece was enough to convince me what to fix tonight!
Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.

Comments

• sprinter
    sprinter Posts: 1,188
    RRP,[p]Copper River salmon or not, if you have a chance to get some salmon on the egg, DO IT. I've eaten enough in the past couple of weeks to start growing gills, its AWESOME. I've posted some of my 'speriments over the past couple of weeks or email me if you want more detail. Salmon and fish on the egg is GREAT.[p]Troy
  • Mary
    Mary Posts: 190
    sprinter,
    I've eaten copper river salmon when I was in Alaska and it is awesome. but even farm raised Atlantic salmon is delicious on the egg - especially if you toss on some alder wood.[p]Mary

• sprinter
    sprinter Posts: 1,188
    Mary,[p]I've really got to get some more wood choices. I have a TON (literally, not figuratively), of fruit woods to smoke with but have never used any alder, pecan and some of the other more exotic stuff that others rave about. I have several orchards around me that are more than happy to supply me with their prunings and my dad has a dozen or so apple, cherry, pear and peach trees in the yard.[p]The salmon I've been eating is from Lake Michigan, mainly Coho (different than Atlantic?) and I have a couple of lake trout also, my dad makes several trips a year to go fishing with a buddy and always brings back a big cooler (or two) full. Never tried any Atlantic salmon (to my knowledge) or Copper River salmon but if I see it, I'll definitely give it a shot.[p]Troy
  • Frozen Chosen
    Frozen Chosen Posts: 131
    RRP,The Copper River fishery opened Monday; king and red (sockeye) salmon from this run must ascend the Copper, a very long, strong, glacial river. Because they need a lot of stored energy for this spawning migration, these fish have more fat reserves than normally found in coastal runs of salmon. Same is true for Yukon River fish, which are every bit as good but have a poor press agent. The river is open to dip-netting, and I may make it over this year. The fish grills great, as the fat keeps the meat a little moister than it would be for other salmon. I like this quick grilled on high heat, just like a beef fillet, with a finishing dollop of tarragon/garlic butter.