Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Newbie Table- 1st post

Options
shortfire
shortfire Posts: 13
edited November -1 in EGG Table Forum
alright, I have been covinced to buy a large BGE. Now I won't be able to afford it until Mid-July but I'd like to price out the table and get started on it as well. however since i don't have the Egg to test fit are there any rules of thumb, for building these tables, or plans any of y'all have? Any help would be great. Also any ideas on what didn't work or you would change on y'alls tables would be cool too. Thanks

Comments

• Capt Frank
    Capt Frank Posts: 2,578
    Options
    The Naked Whiz site has plans/deminsions for the more or less "standard" table for the EGG. His site also has hundreds of pictures other folks have posted of their tables. That should get you started ;)

Capt Frank
    Homosassa, FL
  • lowandslow
    lowandslow Posts: 122
    Options
    I just built my table for my XL Egg from from the design on the website. 60inches long. The plans for the egg only have the height at 32 inches, which seemed too low. I decided to raise it to the same height of my kitchen counters, which is 37inches. Yes, the egg will be a little higher, but I was OK with that, being I am 6'1. I bought cedar wood and total cost was about $275. XL table is $499. Granted, I live near NYC where everything is more expensive than it should be, so I am sure you can do for less.

If you want to go lower budget, buy pressure treated wood at Lowe's or Home Depot.
    Hasbrouck Heights, NJ

XL Egg
  • SmokinFizx
    SmokinFizx Posts: 29
    Options
    Here is a link direct to BGE's plans for a Large Egg table:

http://www.biggreenegg.com/documents/tableplansLarge.pdf

If you stick to the basic dimensions, BGE's covers will fit your table.
  • FenwayFinn
    Options
    I was able to get 5/4x6 Mahogany for a little under $3 a foot at a local lumber place. Mahogany was cheaper than Cedar at that size. Bought regular 2x4's for legs and support at HD plus some clear stain, pavers, deck screws, paint and casters. All told I think I spent about $200. Using plans from BGE.com as a guideline plus whatever I take from the many pictures out there. Building it this weekend to hold my new large egg.
  • shortfire
    shortfire Posts: 13
    Options
    thanks for the help guys, I've got a basic plan now we'll see how it turns out. One thing i noticed on those pictures some ppl have the eggs sitting on the table some have them sitting on little feet. I'm an owners manual will tell me but do ya need to put those under it or is it preferance? thanks again.