Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How many spots do you light?

Options
Pharmer
Pharmer Posts: 37
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Regardless of method, how many spots in the lump do you initially light for:

- ribs (~5 hour burn),
- searing (~ 2-3 minute burn),
- pulled pork (~18 hour burn),
- smoking fish,
- others?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Doug in Eggmonton
    Options
    Since I got my great syringe system from a great egger, I light them all the same way in a 10 inch diameter circle all the way around. Before that I lit in three places 12, 8 and 4 o'clock.

Doug
  • BigGreenDon
    BigGreenDon Posts: 167
    Options
    I used to use the electric starter, but I have since decided that charcoal chimney's rock.

For L&S, I dump half a chimney on the middle of the charcoal bed (where I have reserved a depression to accommodate). For hotter cooks, I dump a whole chimney in and rake it around with the ash tool to distribute.

Don
  • Gandolf
    Gandolf Posts: 906
    Options
    One in the center for everything. Been working great for more than 10 years.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,740
    Options
    one....weedburner
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Davekatz
    Davekatz Posts: 763
    Options
    For everything low & slow I just light 1 in the middle.

For searing or straight up grilling I light 1 in the middle, then 3 around the sides.
    Food & Fire - The carnivorous ramblings of a gluten-free grill geek.
  • Jersey Doug
    Jersey Doug Posts: 460
    Options
    Regardless of which Egg I'm lighting - Large, Small or Mini - or anything else about the cook, I always cut a starter square into three pieces and position them at 2:00, 6:00 and 10:00. Less to think about that way and it always works fine.
  • EggerFromIowa
    Options
    I break my starter in 1/2 and light 2 places. 9 and 3.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options

It depends on which egg and what I am using to light the lump with and how hot of a cook.

If I want a hot cook I light the lump about 3/4 to 1 inch under the surface all rest I light at surface level.

Oil/napkin - 2 spots

MAPP - 3 spots

Starter cubes - 2 cubes cut in half - 4 spots

alcohol - on the large & medium, 2 spots, small and mini 1 spot

Flame Thrower (weed burner) it doesn't matter it's done in 30 to 45 seconds and the whole bed is lit.

GG
  • vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    Options
    I use a propane torch and light the BGE in 4 spots...no matter what I am cooking or which BGE I am using...Lg, sm or mini...
  • HAWKEYEGG
    HAWKEYEGG Posts: 20
    Options
    I am by no means an expert but I have been using an electric starter and lighting the middle and raking the lump around once it is lit. It seems to work fine is there an advantage to lighting multiple spots from the start?
  • FearlessGrill
    Options
  • FearlessGrill
    Options
    I used to just light in the middle, but on some low and slow cooks, I had vertical burns and the fire went out with plenty of lump remaining. Since I started lighting in multiple spots, this hasn't happened. I also find that the Egg heats up faster for high temp cooks if I light in multiple places. This is more apparent on my small than large for some reason.

-John
  • TheDirtyBurger
    Options
    I light in the middle no matter what or how I am cooking. I build a fire like a boyscout with a piece of a starter cube and layer pieces of lump on it. I will try to build a bigger fire if I am doing a high temp cook, and sometimes I will use multiple pieces of firestarter.

Once the fire is burning in that spot I use the ash tool to stir the coals around. If low and slow, PS or stone on and set my vents. If high temp I close the dome and let her rip!
  • thechief96
    thechief96 Posts: 1,908
    Options
    I lite mine at 12,4 and 8. Both for the large and XL
    Dave San Jose, CA The Duke of Loney
  • NC-CDN
    NC-CDN Posts: 703
    Options
    For low and slow and smoking I do 1 in the middle. That's it. For searing steak and other hot ones I do 2. Mine tends to have a spot that don't burn as quick when I start it in the middle so to get a more even fire when I get to 500-600F I light one in that spot and on the other side. Works great.

I don't think there is really a right or wrong way. Whatever works for you and your EGG>
  • Unknown
    Options
    depends
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Options
    Half a starter cube in the middle, no matter which Egg or what the cook.
    Occassionally the WB in the middle.
  • WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Options
    One starter cube in the center for all cooks...except the XL, I will light it in 2 opposite areas..
  • Jersey Doug
    Jersey Doug Posts: 460
    Options
    Hmm.. I guess the message here is do whatever you like and it will be fine :)