Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Low and slow brisket

'Q Bruddah
'Q Bruddah Posts: 739
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Its a little after 5:30 am PDT and I've got the egg just started to do a long cook. I started the lump with a weedburner in three spots and left it to come to temp. The morning is still but drizzling. Its supposed to clear later but I am not going to wait. The brisket has been rubbed and waiting in the fridge since yesterday afternoon. I will be working this morning so I will have to leave it for about four hours but the egg has proven steady so far so I am not concerned.

Comments

• Bordello
    Bordello Posts: 5,926
    Good luck and if the Egg has been holding your temp steady for some time you should be fine at work. Is anyone home to watch the temp gauage to let you know if it spikes or starts to drop??? You should be fine,I've done ribs and headed to the bar for an hour or two, come home to check, rock solid so back to the bar.

Good Luck,
    Bordello
  • Sounds like a good plan. Provided you have a good stable fire going will be mightyfine. Obviously the temp is going to go down when you add the cold mass but you will still have a stable fire and the egg will gradually climb back to the stabilized temp.

Good luck and enjoy
  • 'Q Bruddah
    I am thinking more clearly now I have 'spresso in a cup. The egg is just coming to temp. I plan to put the meat on about 6:30. But in past cooks it seems very reliable. Its a gamble but a small one to leave it alone. Not sure I want to be calling to check temps and trying to adjust from afar.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,667
    should be good to go. ive done lots of cooks while off in the boat 7 to 8 hours then back to check on things, with 4 hours even if it went out your still safe to start it back up B)
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • 'Q Bruddah
    Thanks Frank, we are on the same wavelength. Its early in the cook there is a good fire and plenty o' lump. There is something special about these long cooks. It is great to have the cammaraderie here on the forum. You tell most people what you are doing and get that blank stare. It all adds to the enjoyment of the egg.
  • 'Q Bruddah
    Good Morning, fishlessman!! Yes, I keep telling myself the ancients didn't run back from the hunt to check the meat neither will I. Well, maybe the bachelors did. Like I say, I am having fun. Got my coffee, got my fire, we're good to go.
  • mmmmmm Brisket. I often leave a stable egg for 4 hours, never come to harm.

Doug
  • This is why I love the Stoker. I can check on my cooks from anywhere on my crackberry.