Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Are you happy it’s finally National BBQ Month? While we like to BBQ year round, May is our favorite because the whole country is celebrating delicious food. If you’re new to cooking BBQ on your EGG, check out our Smoking Basics Publication...if not, proceed to some of our favorite recipes! We love Dr. BBQ’s Coffee Rubbed Brisket, Famous Dave’s Sticky Ribs and Virginia Willis’ Pulled Pork. Pair with this cheesy favorite for a winning way to start off May!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

grill extenders

Blizzard58Blizzard58 Posts: 35
edited 6:32PM in EggHead Forum
I have read about and seen many pics in regards to grill extenders. Don't get me wrong but some I have seen look like a night mare when trying to get to what you are cooking are lower levels. Please share info on ways to make this easier.
·

Comments

• KnaufKnauf Posts: 337
    Mine is a BGE version and it is hinged both front and back. Just move all items from one side to the other and flip up half the grid. turn/ move what is under and move all things back. Very easy.
    ·
  • Ross in VenturaRoss in Ventura Posts: 6,552
    I just lift mine up and off 1- 17 1/2 in Webber grid, 4- 4 1/2 in, ss bolts, 12- washers, 12- nuts.
    [url]DSC_0007-14-1.jpg[/url]

Ross
    ·
  • Grandpas GrubGrandpas Grub Posts: 14,226

AT times I use the adjustable rig as well BGE's Grid Extender.

If I am not using the BGE (folding) Grid Extender I use thirdeye's ThirdHand grid lift. This allows one to securely grab and lift a empty grid or a loaded grid. The balancing also allows one to take the hot grid and let it hang from the grate mates or a table.

At some point time you will get to a point where you know and trust what you are cooking so on some cooks you won't have to do much moving things around.

Here is a link to thrideyes' thirdhand.
    http://thirdeyebbq.com/ThirdHand.aspx

GG
    ·
  • ILL--EGGERILL--EGGER Posts: 478
    One stop shop at http://www.ceramicgrillstore.com/ceramicgrillstore/.
    The adjustable rig with spider and pizza stone is perfect.
    ribsonegg.jpg
    DSCN3079.jpg
    ·
  • berrygoodberrygood Posts: 372
    An AR is not as convenient as a 36" cooking surface, but you don't have that option with an egg. The CGS stuff is solid and gives you SO many options. Close your eyes and order it.
    ·
  • I got the rig about 2 months ago and I love it. The rig with a nice pair of cheap welding gloves that you do not mind dirtying up will be a great investment. It took me a minute to figure it all out, but I now can put every single eggcessory that I owe inside of my large egg (including the gloves and excluding the ash tool!)

It takes some jimmying put the PS will fit in the egg after you have the rig in. I think richard FL or someone else told me that through a pizza post.
    ·
  • DavekatzDavekatz Posts: 761
    I've got both the Woo2 (www.ceramicgrillstore.com)and the BGE extender. I mostly use the Woo2 to get food a little further away from the fire. I will use both if I need the real estate or want to get wings way up into the dome.
    Food & Fire - The carnivorous ramblings of a gluten-free grill geek.
    ·
  • deepsouthdeepsouth Posts: 1,788
    ILL--EGGER wrote:
    One stop shop at http://www.ceramicgrillstore.com/ceramicgrillstore/.
    The adjustable rig with spider and pizza stone is perfect.
    ribsonegg.jpg
    DSCN3079.jpg

is all you listed there hooked up at one time?
    ·
  • tjl5709tjl5709 Posts: 76
    Yes,

But also get a small stone (15" - 16") to set on the spider for indirect cooking.
    ·
  • smoker62smoker62 Posts: 80
    I am confused at to what the spider really does. Does it just drop you down closer to the coals?
    ·