Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How clean is my grill.

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Do I need to really scrub the grill, or just let the fire take care of it? I use a brush and scraper while it is warming up, but should I do more than that?
Thanks,

Comments

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Options
    Bruce, Grills are always a running subject and the porcelain grills eventually all return to the iron base rod they were originally. At least all of mine did.
    The material left over from the prior grill is easily brushed off once high heat is applied with the brushes your mentioning or equivilant. The grills are self sanitized by heat.
    Cheers..
    C~W[p]

• QBabe
    QBabe Posts: 2,275
    Options
    Bruce,[p]I clean my grills every time I use them. If you spray the grill with Pam before putting food on it, it makes clean up a snap. [p]Tonia
    :~)

• BBQBluesStringer
    Options
    Bruce,
    You clean your grill?!?!?

• Rodan
    Rodan Posts: 32
    Options
    Bruce,
    I use one of these, called Grill Floss to scrape off the caked on stuff. It works really well. I'll also sometimes wipe it down with paper towels & use a brush. I've found the "Brush Hawg" stainless steel brush to be quite good.

[ul][li]Grill Floss[/ul]
  • ravnhaus
    ravnhaus Posts: 311
    Options
    Bruce,
    I like to get a little water on the wire brush and scrub after the cook while the grill is still hot. Rinse in running water (the brush) and repeat a few times. The water boils and removes gunk quite well.

[ul][li]ravnhaus BBQ[/ul]
  • Bruce,I am with Q babe on this one. It is so easy to clean a Pamed grill like you would any other cooking tool.
    What if you don,t want to use high heat on your next cook?
    You don't need to burn off a modern grill. We did that when all we had was carbon steel expanded metal. Leave it greasy to prevent rust, then burn it off to put the meat on. Your grill will last longer if you clean it after a cook, and you will be able to lay anything on it and start from a low temp if you choose. Shotgun Fred[p]

• yaB
    yaB Posts: 137
    Options
    ravnhaus,
    Now that's a good idea - a boiling water rinse. I'll have give it a try.[p]Another technique I've used on a gas grill is to put a sheet of aluminum foil on top of the grill when I'm done cooking, and then run all the burners full blast for a few minutes with the cover down. Anything stuck to the grill turns to ash and can be wiped or brushed off easily. I haven't tried this on the Egg since I'm usually more concerned about cooling it down after a cook, but I suppose it would work, if only a little slower than on a gas grill. [p]Bob