Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Jerky turned out terrible, Help for next time!

Options
Mark from Utah
Mark from Utah Posts: 52
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hi,
I marinated my jerky overnight using a marinade from this site. The butcher cut the meat about 1/8 inch to 1/4 inch thick. I made a raised grill per this site and put the meat strips on to smoke this moring at 10:00am. I used the bbq guru with the meat probe inactive and the oter sensor clipped to the raised grill. I then turned on the dome temp per the bbq gura to the lowest temp available, 175 degrees. The few times I checked on it the temp seemed pretty stable. I checked on it at 4:00 pm and the jerky was dry and hard after only 6 hours. It also tastes like it is burnt. So far the BGE has been very forgiving and everyting I have tried has turned out great. The only one in the family that will eat this jerky is my Airedale dog, but she also eats cat poop from the litter box if we don't watch her carefully![p]What did I do wrong. I was under the impression that it would take about 8 to 12 hours and it would be soft and chewey. Any suggestions for next time? Thanks, Mark

Comments

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Options
    Mark from Utah, if I recall, my very first jerky was quite similar and you can overdo the cook. You have to watch closely, and you need not have a "dry" jerky. Chewy is fine. I do a lot of dome raising and quick sampling as I go. Just don't imbalance your guru, and if not a guru, the fire itself with big delays in the checks.
    Keep the fire quiet and slow.
    Also, you might back off on the smoking woods a tad as too much may cause the wood to flame up.
    C~W[p]

• Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    Options
    bjdone.jpg
    <p />Mark from Utah,
    I cook jerky all the time. I use the River City Recipe with a few modifications. I don't have a guru but am able to keep the temp around 175-190 for hours.
    My jerky is usually a little moist but tough. The last batch I cooked I gave a 6 the other golfers gave it huge raves.
    This is a 10 hour cook.
    How much smoke did you use? Too much will give the meat a very bitter taste. Hope this helps, can I borrow that dog to get rid of the new stray my wife found?[p]CWM

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    Car Wash Mike,[p]You are making me plan a visit to the butcher! Yum. I have not jerky in 2 years. Shame on me![p]Tim
  • Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    Options
    Tim M,
    A great snack on the golf course. Good luck.[p]CWM

• eggor
    eggor Posts: 777
    Options
    Mark from Utah,[p]next time get a whole roast that is very lean, prefferably deer, elk, or buffalo. If you have to buy the roast this meat can get spendy, but is cheaper than takin up hunting. Trim all the fat you can. cut the meat close to but not over 1/2 inch in strips, you don't need the butcher to do this. Trust me, cut the meat thicker and the chewy texture will be there. Those thin slices are better suited for the dehydrator. Now that burnt flavor - i'm guessin that you probably used fresh lump that has never been butned. you don't wanna do that. too many nasty chems need to get burned out of the charcoal. Try loading the egg and cook a meal over a hot fire before using that lump for jerky (or any other low and slow jmho). If you lay that meat on a raised grid in a pile nothing is going to dry except the stuff on top and bottom then you have to mix it up, let it go for a little while, then repeat the process over and over until you get it to the doneness you want. if you hang the meat you will eliminate that entire process. when you begin to test the jerky for doneness let a piece sit for 1/2 an hour on the counter so that it cools down. warm jerky will be softer but once it cools down a little it will become harder, it will aslo be easier to judge how drie it is. It doesnot matter to me what temp you go on the grill, you can make jerky in direct sunlite, it just takes longer. i prefer the warmer temps cause it works well for me.[p]Scott
  • Mark from Utah,
    Eggor gives you good advice. I am making jerky and burnt end brisket this morning and last night using the Guru. I am maintaining 160 for 24hrs now.My jerky is hanging from 3/16" stainless steel welding rod and a frame I set up inside the cooker. Jerky as thin as you described only takes about 2.5-3 hrs to finish. The idea is to dry it until it chews right,you have already cured it. There is no law that says you can't sample it as it is getting done. Just pull it when it feels good and remember it will dry out more when it cools.You can always put it back on again or you can sauce it and put it back on.(hot sauce is very good)
    To get a temp lower than 175 on the Guru use both probes inside the pit. Turn on the ramp mode. The control will hold what ever temp you set on the meat knob just as it does when holding an internal meat temp. Have you down loaded our manual, the link is on the front page. Also you should check out Jerky Tips on the site. I hope this helps,the result is definitely worth the effort. Jerky and burnt end brisket are some of my favorites. Shotgun Fred

• Char-Woody,
    Also good advice, I just missed your post.Shotgun Fred

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Options
    ShotgunFred, top of the morning to ya. Thanks, and I note wisdom in your posts also. Nice electronics. I may trade a wiggle rod for one :-)...Cheers.
    C~W[p]

• Shotgun Fred,[p]Thanks for the help, and all the others as well. I am just ready to put on my second batch now. [p]I know what the burnt ends are, but how do you make just them? That is my favorite part of the meat. Can you use both brisket and pork butt for burnt ends?[p]Thanks, Mark from Utah
  • Mark ffom Utah,
    You are welcome, and I hope the tips on the site were also a help.
    I make Burnt ends with brisket that is already cooked to perfection with the Guru in ramp. I then strip it with the grain into about 3/4" ropes, that I hang in the pit after they have been soaked/coated in sauce. I use 150-160F with both probes in the pit and the Guru in ramp. I just leave them in until they chew right and, I do not over dry. Yes, you can do pork like this but I find that you want to use a sweet glaze on it to get the right texture. If your pork is real soft you have to fold it over the hanger rod.
    Store these in the frig, as they are not cured. Shotgun Fred