Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

any exterior carpet removal tricks?

Options
RRP
RRP Posts: 25,888
edited November -1 in Off Topic
We're about to have the outdoor carpet in our screened porch replaced. What is there now is the common "grass turf" type with a woven polypropylene backing glued to exterior grade plywood. I plan to remove it myself so I wonder how's the best way to go about it? Any hints etc would be appreciated. BTW I know it has to be perfectly smooth so there will be no telegraphing bumps and ridges. I also recall 2 or 3 gallon of floor leveling goop was needed to level an area where a room expansion had occurred. Thank you!
Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    "A blowtourch and a pair of pliers..."

Marsellus Wallace in "Pulp Fiction" (Sorry, I couldn't help it)

Actually I have no idea... It would probably depend on how the carpet was fastened to the subflooring (i.e. glued). And then there is that leveling goop.

I don't know if there would be a solvent for the adhesive... or perhaps the adhesive would "give" with a little heat from a hair dryer, pulling the carpet back as the adhesive softens.

If heat is the answer, perhaps a weed burner? (JUST KIDDING!).
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    was going to say weedburner but wpb beat me too it :laugh: be interesting because my house came with the blue outdoor carpet glued down in the kitchen :laugh: a project for someday, its a real beauty with the lacanche i have sitting on it :whistle:
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • RRP
    Options
    WOW - a Lacanche in the kitchen and BGE's outside - you go top notch don't you? Ever get your bathroom done?
  • misfit
    misfit Posts: 358
    Options
    That is a tough one. Don't listen to me, I often "open mouth and insert foot". That being said, if it was a type of construction adhesive, it could be brittle from age and not too much trouble. A wide bladed scraper may be needed. not a putty knife, think flat blade shovel. Carpet adhesive is another animal. A heat gun could be your friend, as would some kind of mask. My 2 cents again...
  • Humphrey Chimpden Earwicker
    Options
    i'm assuming the carpet will come up with a little elbow grease and a scraper. if the carpet was adhered, you can maybe soften the adhesive with a heat gun and scrape it up or, more likely, put leveling compound over it to even out any trowel marks. the leveling compound will feather to zero (a taper) without cracking, so you shouldn't have any trouble with building up too much thickness at any thresholds.

if you are putting in carpet, you could probably put pad under it, and the adhesive wouldn't telegraph any more than it does now (which sounds like not at all)
  • Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    Options
    Ron,

I'd find a spot in the middle someplace that you can 'pull up a bit'. cut a big X and start pulling. They make carpet pullers that really help get ahold of things. Or if that is a 'no go' than maybe treat it like a vinyl floor and scrape-it. I have the huge orange one they sell at the Depot, that is for ice and/or floor scraping.

Just hope it ain't like wallpaper. :pinch: I wouldn't know how to get after the adhesive, so I think your gonna have to try and whooopit.
  • RRP
    Options
    Thanks Adam - I actually see the seam that is now visible so I will start there. In talking with the carpet sales gal today we have to have the estimator come out anyway to get the quote and they will also bid the removal if I don't want to tackle it. I just don't want to start the demo too early and then wait for weeks with a messed up floor as we literally live on that porch during these summer months as it's our tree house in the woods.
    IMG_0353.jpg

IMG_0328.jpg
  • Ripnem
    Options
    Betcha donuts to dollars that the price they quote will seem like peanuts, to remove. ;)

Just fire up a 8 dollar batch of chicken parts for the installers and at the end of the day you'll be soo thankful. :P
  • ranger ray
    ranger ray Posts: 812
    Options
    use a utility knife or better yet buy a carpet installer's knife( the blades are much thinner and have four cutting surfaces as opposed to the two ends of a utility knife),,,, cut the carpeting in approximately 24 inch wide strips( any thing wider and it becomes difficult to pull up)... get one end loose and start pulling... trying to roll the carpet as you go.... it's hard work but if you remove it in strips like i said ... it will go quicker than expected.... then scrape off the remaining glue.... for few bucks you can buy a long handled carpet scraping tool( long , meaning commercial mop size)..... it has replaceable razor blades and does a good job of cleaning the left over carpet and residual backing....yes....it's hard work!..... but you'll knock your self out if you try to use a putty knife.... perhaps you can borrow a razor scraper from someone..... i have done this many times( i've been working with my cousin , whose a carpet installer for many years).... when you get a quote for removal....well.... maybe you're wealthy?? hope this helps.....oh! they do rent power floor scrapers, if you have alot of area.....
  • RRP
    Options
    Thanks - it's only 15 x 15 plus 5 stair steps so renting a machine doesn't make sense. I've since been reading on the net and learned of those scrapers so I'll probably go that route. Just so happened that yesterday a lady called the Glenn Haege show asking a similar question, but in her case it was carpet glued to a basement wall. His suggestion was a citrus product called Contractors Solvent that you spray on to dissolve the glue. I have two bottles of that purchased for another project and I thought it was overpriced and ineffective, but maybe for this use it will work along with the elbow grease applied on the other end of the floor scraper!
  • ranger ray
    ranger ray Posts: 812
    Options
    gee... that size won't take to long at all... glad have helped...if it's outdoors.... lotsa times a pressure washer will get the goop off...i just did a 30 by 40 tear out on back porch.... the glue was tenacious.... i used a wire wheel in my hand held grinder to tackle the stubborn areas..... i think this was the second outdoor carpet .... it seemed like they went right over the first layer of glue.... it was over concrete.... so the pressure washer worked quite well....those scrapers ! i wouldn't attempt it with out one...btw.... how much is a scraper these days? ray
  • Ripnem
    Options
    Ron,

When I said 'carpet puller' I was referring to a manual one. It's handheld and makes grabbing the rug and pulling super easy.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    not even close to done :laugh: its fishing season :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: the shower in the attics not so cold this time of year
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • RRP
    Options
    I priced a 6' scraper at Lowes' today at $20 and replacement blades are $5.50. We're getting a quote Wednesday for the new carpet plus installation and I'll also find out how much they want to remove it. It's a good company who we have dealt with before and as I understand it they are all hurting for business right now so we shall see.
  • RRP
    Options
    I just signed the contract - the removal is only $52 and they will take the old carpet with them to boot. I figured if I bought the scraper plus just one replacement blade that with sales tax would cost me $28. Then I'd have to piecemeal getting rid of the old carpet for garbage pick up for weeks. Bottom line to do the work myself to save $24 wasn't worth the hassle.
  • Ripnem
    Options
    Ron,

Told ya! Now make those boys somethin nice, will ya. :laugh: Something slow and smelly ;) Immediately they will want to please the crap outa you.
  • RRP
    Options
    yup, you were right! I'm seriously thinking about egging something cauz all my eggs are very visible from where they are working so it would be a natural thing to do.