Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Quick Stoker ?

Options
shubydoobydo
shubydoobydo Posts: 115
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I love the fact that you can hook this up to the internet to control the temp. Given that I work on Saturday's I would love to put something on for the day and have the confidence to keep an eye on it via the internet. I do have a question.... How does it connect to the internet?? Is it wireless??

Comments

• FLbobecu
    FLbobecu Posts: 309
    Options
    CharcoalCooking wrote:
    I love the fact that you can hook this up to the internet to control the temp. Given that I work on Saturday's I would love to put something on for the day and have the confidence to keep an eye on it via the internet. I do have a question.... How does it connect to the internet?? Is it wireless??

I don't own one, or know much about the Stoker, however on their webpage it does show a Ethernet port.

Here's a link from Rock's:

http://www.rocksbarbque.com/Stoker_inet.pdf

From my understanding, if you have a wireless network, pickup a wireless Ethernet bridge and it will be wireless, otherwise you will need to run cable(s) to the stoker and the modem.

I'm sure others will chime in to give you a definite answer, but hopefully this information will tide you over.

Good luck!
  • Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    Options
    I have a wireless bridge near my Stoker that transmits to my WiFi network. I can control the temps from my computer. That doesn't get me to the www though. If you can do that, I don't know how.

I can set it to tweet me at given time periods on Twitter. So, I can be away from home and monitor the pit temp and food temp.

Hope that helps.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• guzzijason
    guzzijason Posts: 143
    Options
    No, it doesn't have wireless built-in, but you can plug a wi-fi bridge into it (sometimes called a gaming adaptor) to get it on your wireless network.

Getting access to it over the internet is a bit more tricky. You have to configure your wireless router to accept and forward connections to the webserver built into the Stoker. Then you either connect using the IP address assigned to your wireless router by your internet provider, or (depending on your router software) you can sign up for one of the dynamic DNS services so that you use a domain name to connect rather than IP (this is what I do).

There is one caveat, however if you put it on the internet... there is no security built into the Stoker... meaning that once its online, anyone on the internet could stumble across the interface and fiddle with your knobs and dials. I'm a little more paranoid about this than most, given I'm in the networking business, but I was able to set up a secure proxy on my home network so that I connect using a secure connection and username/password.

I can manage the Stoker with my iPhone :laugh:

__Jason
  • James MB
    James MB Posts: 359
    Options
    guzzijason wrote:
    (snip) I was able to set up a secure proxy on my home network so that I connect using a secure connection and username/password.

I can manage the Stoker with my iPhone :laugh:

__Jason
    How cool is that!
    I also think it's pretty cool to give it a twitter feed - about the only good use I can think of for tweets!
  • EggMii
    EggMii Posts: 30
    Options
    Jason, In later versions of the Stoker firmware (Version 2.6.0.221 or better), the webserver has a page ro.html that will allow you to set your stoker page to Read Only. When I've got my stoker enabled externally, I set it to read only and only enable it for updates if I need to tweak the temps.

Mark
  • The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Options
    It's via ethernet, so however you want to get it connected.

Just as a philosophical question: These devices are known to control temperatures for as long as your charcoal lasts, and don't need any monitoring. If you don't wake up all night long to monitor it, why would you want to monitor it during the day? :laugh:
    The Naked Whiz
  • Avocados
    Avocados Posts: 465
    Options
    There is an easier way for internet access for those who don't know how, or don't want, to set up the port forwarding in your router.

1. Connect your Stoker to your home network so you can access it with the web browser on your computer (or use another program like StokerLog to graph and control your cooks)

2. Use an internet based remote control program like the free version of LogMeIn.com to remotely access your computer to monitor and control the stoker.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options
    The Naked Whiz wrote:
    ... If you don't wake up all night long to monitor it, why would you want to monitor it during the day? :laugh:

Probably like most things in life... Because you can.

GG
  • guzzijason
    guzzijason Posts: 143
    Options
    EggMii wrote:
    Jason, In later versions of the Stoker firmware (Version 2.6.0.221 or better), the webserver has a page ro.html that will allow you to set your stoker page to Read Only. When I've got my stoker enabled externally, I set it to read only and only enable it for updates if I need to tweak the temps.

Mark

Thanks... good to know!

__Jason
  • shubydoobydo
    shubydoobydo Posts: 115
    Options
    This all sounds wayyyy to confusing to me. I guess I will have to get one and learn to hook it up to know how it works ;)
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options

If you don't understand a router then it may seem complicated at first.

A simple explanation.
    . Using an ethernet cable connect the Stoker to your Router.
    . Turn on the Stoker and wait for the initialization to complete.
    . Locate & write or remember the IP address assigned to the Stoker from the router. 192.168.1.9 (or some such number)
    . Open any browser on any device that connects to your router.
    . enter in the IP address into the address bar of your borwser (IE8, FireFox or whatever Mac folks use).

You are now reading and controlling the Stoker.

If you want wireless connection to the Stoker then you will need a Wireless Bridge (which can also be referred to as a Client Bridge Wireless Game Adapter, Access Point, Shared Bridge or such) which will connect to your main router. The wireless bridge will connect to the Stoker, a IP address will be assigned and then any device wired or wireless than can connect to you router (or the wireless bridge - wired) will see and control the Stoker.

Now if you want to see the Stoker on the WWW you need to, any of the following:
    . Open that port to the WWW
    . Port forward to an open port
    . Use a remote use software as stated above or a program like GoToMyPC

It is all very simple.

Well this all started out being simple...

GG
  • Stuworld
    Stuworld Posts: 57
    Options
    Avocados wrote:
    There is an easier way for internet access for those who don't know how, or don't want, to set up the port forwarding in your router.

1. Connect your Stoker to your home network so you can access it with the web browser on your computer (or use another program like StokerLog to graph and control your cooks)

2. Use an internet based remote control program like the free version of LogMeIn.com to remotely access your computer to monitor and control the stoker.

I would do something like that. Once it's on the Internet, you are exposing your home network to application level scurity from a BBQ accessory company.

If you are a professional and know how to put it behind a firewall with DMZ, go for it. Just don't trust your home office gear to adequately protect you even if you are on the latest firmware.
  • SkySaw
    SkySaw Posts: 656
    Options
    Stuworld wrote:
    Once it's on the Internet, you are exposing your home network to application level scurity from a BBQ accessory company.

...Just don't trust your home office gear to adequately protect you even if you are on the latest firmware.[/quote]

Could you tell me more about the risks we are exposing ourselves to? I am under the impression that the full extent of that risk is that someone might change the temperature of my pit. The only other risk that Rock's points out is that logging in to a Twitter account through the Stoker could allow a hacker who is monitoring the setup at that moment to capture the Twitter login info.

Mark
  • Stuworld
    Stuworld Posts: 57
    Options
    SkySaw wrote:
    Stuworld wrote:
    Once it's on the Internet, you are exposing your home network to application level scurity from a BBQ accessory company.

...Just don't trust your home office gear to adequately protect you even if you are on the latest firmware.

Could you tell me more about the risks we are exposing ourselves to? I am under the impression that the full extent of that risk is that someone might change the temperature of my pit. The only other risk that Rock's points out is that logging in to a Twitter account through the Stoker could allow a hacker who is monitoring the setup at that moment to capture the Twitter login info.

Mark[/quote]

essentially, if you decide to open up your internal network to a single device, you need to confirm:

A) the device you are pointing to is secure - who tests security on their device? Are you sure that it cannot be used to access the rest of your network?

B) you only open up the rule on your router/firewall to allow traffic to that one device

C) you remove the rule as soon as you unplug the device. Even still, slow and low cooks can go on for 20+ hours. Who is monitoring your other devices connected while you are remotely accessing the fan in your egg?

D) Make sure you have some form of security before they can change your temp settings. You do not want your meal ruined ecause of some jealous sabateur overseas

given the extra risk, is it really worth it?
  • smoker62
    smoker62 Posts: 80
    Options
    I think I will order the Digi-Q. I have trouble setting up any computer stuff. I am getting a headache reading this. While cool , I can see me never getting it to work right. :(
  • SkySaw
    SkySaw Posts: 656
    Options
    Thanks for the explanation.

The only risk that is not easy to mitigate is the risk that the device itself cannot be used to infiltrate my network. While I can't imagine that it is a significant risk, I do know that there are quiite a few Stoker users out there, and no one has reported having their network hacked through their Stoker.

I think the risks, as you have described them are pretty slim. If you are comfortable using Skype, iChat, etc., then I'm sure the Stoker is no more risky.

Mark
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,528
    Options
    TNW, if it's cooking too fast or too slow, or my work schedule changes, I can adjust the temp to move the finish line :P

Gary
    canuckland