Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Grate Mates Recommendations (or Not)

Blake
Blake Posts: 10
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Do you believe that the gratemates accessories are a good addition to the small egg?:

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/productreviews/gratemates/gratemates.htm

Thanks ... Blake

Comments

• i love my gratemates for the small!! ...i got the upscale version with the taller arms ... puts the grid way up in the dome for high direct grilling....also with the ring and a pie plate, its great for indirect cooking in the small. .. provides great versatility ...allows me to do a lot of "roasting" in the small egg....a very good investment...
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    I have no complaints with mine, have the deluxe version also. -RP
  • mijoey
    mijoey Posts: 58
    Blake,
    I agree with Max. I bought the the delux set up from Chubby for my small and I am very happy with it. The ring also allows you to cook direct with a small wok. I would recommend it. Chubby is also very good to deal with if you have any questions and he can take payment through PayPal.

Mike
    Melbourne Fl.
  • cookingdude555
    cookingdude555 Posts: 3,188
    Love the grate mates. I ordered them at the same time that I ordered my small egg. They arrived at the same time, so I have never cooked without them. They are awesome. Are there other home grown solutions? Probably, but these are a perfect match. I use two grids to do steaks, the CI one on the fire ring to sear, and then put the stock grid on the highest brackets to roast after searing the meat. It works grate.
  • ibanda
    ibanda Posts: 553
    Chubby has a good invention. I use the tall arms nearly every cook, and they pretty much stay in my egg full time. They work great for raised grid direct cooks. They will also work in combination with the platesetter for an indirect cook.

I put the cast iron grid on last night at normal fire ring height, and the tall arms in (without a grid on that level). Fired up the grill and seared a steak T-Rex style, and pulled the steak to rest. Then I put the regular grid in on top of the tall arms to roast the steak. It works out pretty well.

I am sure I will use the ring sometime for a dutch oven cook. I haven't ever used the short arms and could live without them, but they come as a package deal.
    "Bacon tastes gooood, pork chops taste gooood." - Vincent Vega, Pulp Fiction
    Small and Large BGE in Oklahoma City.
  • Morro Bay Rich
    Morro Bay Rich Posts: 2,227
    ABSOLUTELY!! I have Chubby's deluxe set and since I got them about 3 years ago I have not taken them out of the Egg. Buy them, you will not be disappointed. ;)
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    YES.... I have NEVER taken the taller ones off my small.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Don't you ever post anything on-topic Max?

Sheesh.
  • i'm gonna go eat wooley worms and cry now!!
  • Chubby
    Chubby Posts: 2,955
    That's a lotta love for the Chubbster...all packed in this one small thread!!

TurkeyDayEvans3.jpg

Seriously...I'm glad that you have each gotten good use from your GrateMates, and I more that appreciate the kind words!

Evans

PS...checks are in the mail!!
    I spent most of my money on good bourbon, and bad women...the rest, I just wasted!!
  • cookingdude555
    While I have the ear of several grate mate users, anyone try the smaller set on a mini? I have a mini coming my way, and my smaller set of grate mates are still sitting in the oven since they were seasoned about two months ago.
  • FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,676
    You have my address right? :laugh: :laugh:

Jabbins,, PBM had cut his small ones down for the mini before he got the mini woo
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Is there enough clearance to move a (heavy) CI grid from the fire ring to the GrateMates without having to tilt the grid too much? I'm thinking searing, then roasting higher in the dome, maybe without having to remove the meat.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    And you repay us by putting a close up of your mug on here! :woohoo: :woohoo:

It is very fine product.

Mike
  • FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,676
    Michael, It's as simple as sliding one of the mates to the side. Easy to do with a good set of gloves and no need to remove the meat from the grid. My gratemates never leave the small.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Cool! Thanks - may have to get me some!

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• cookingdude555
    FlaPoolman wrote:
    You have my address right? :laugh: :laugh:

Jabbins,, PBM had cut his small ones down for the mini before he got the mini woo

That may work, I will check that out when I take delivery of the mini. I guess the firebox fit would need to be tight for this to work, otherwise they would fall in between the firebox and the wall of the egg. (since the 'feet' would be cut off)
  • ILL--EGGER
    ILL--EGGER Posts: 478
    Just wanted to chime in as another VERY satisfied customer. Be sure to get both the tall and short extenders as u will use both.
  • Jersey Doug
    Jersey Doug Posts: 460
    Another very happy GrateMates user here. The Small was our first Egg and it's still our go-to cooker thanks, in large part, to the versatility afforded by the Grate-Mates.
  • Blake
    By the way I purchsed my small egg last night after work. I hoping that it will loose its virginity tonight. I was shocked to know that a 12" pizza stone is what BGE sells with it. I was thinking only 10" would fit. I will be able to do more with this grill than I thought. I have my eye on the Gratemates. I sincerely appreciate the kind and valuable feedback from everyone. Using that hammered steel 12" wok in the small egg is highely desirable for me, not to mention all of the other benefits of the GrateMate.

Thanks ... Blake
  • Jersey Doug
    A 9" pie pan or 8-1/2" pizza stone on the GrateMates ring and the 12" BGE pizza stone on the tall GrateMates extenders and you're good to go for pizza.
  • Blake
    I got the plate setter. Should that work ok too?
  • Chubby
    Chubby Posts: 2,955
    Have you actually used it yet?
    I spent most of my money on good bourbon, and bad women...the rest, I just wasted!!
  • Blake
    No but plan to use this weekend. Hopefully tonight.
  • Jersey Doug
    Blake wrote:
    I got the plate setter. Should that work ok too?
    I used a plate setter legs down with a pizza stone raised on three balls of foil for my first pizza cook on the Small. This same setup works great on the Large. On the small it burned out my gasket. Chubby pointed out that anything that interrupts the heat flow in the vicinity of the gasket can be a problem. I replaced the gasket, switched to the setup I described and haven't had a problem since.
  • Blake
    To me it makes more sense to use it with the legs up as the stone fits well on the bottom legs. So there is a gap between the plate and the stone. The stone is just below the gasket and there seems to be plenty of room for air flow. I really do not know since I have never cooked on a small egg.