Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

My indirect setup for Mini

SnakePlissken
SnakePlissken Posts: 11
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
My homemade indirect setup for the mini.

The plate setter:
P1010746DesktopResolution.jpg

In the Mini with fire ring removed:
P1010747DesktopResolution.jpg

The complete Indirect setup:
P1010748DesktopResolution.jpg

I purchased a "Brinkman" replacement grill grate from home depot. It was on clearance for $2. I cut it to fit in the mini and used 1 1/2" bolts to get a little height. I put it under the fire ring and that's all there's to it.

I cooked 10 wing pieces yesterday as an experiment. Initially, I made a drip tray out of foil, but discovered it wasn't needed so I took it out.

I cooked the wings at about 300 degree, and there was no scorching or flame ups at all.

Comments

• Let's try it again with the pics...

[img size=150][/img]

[img size=150][/img]

[img size=150][/img]
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    click Img in the green bar above your post, then paste the image address (http...............) then click Img again. No spaces.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    What are you using as your platesetter? You mentioned it in your first set of photos but I don't see it...just curious...
  • Please see my original post for the pics. I was having trouble getting the pix to work, but they are there now.
  • YB
    YB Posts: 3,861
    Looks good.I really like the mini egg.Here is the setup I use in the mini with the fire ring in.
    Larry

fe1c.jpg

6b90.jpg
  • lowercasebill
    lowercasebill Posts: 5,218
    what you appear to have there is a raised grid and nicely done.. but no baffle ,, indirect means there is a 'hunk' of something , usually ceramic, between lump and the grub. below pictured is an 8 in. pizza stone lashed to a grid with 304 stainless wire. other options are the platesetter or the spider [ceramic grill store] of versagrate [bbq guru] both support a pizza stone to acact as a heat baffle. fire bricks are used as well but will absorb massive amounts of fat unless wrapped in hdaf or placed under a drip tray
    bill

mini020-1.jpg

mini021-1.jpg

mini022-1.jpg
  • RVH
    RVH Posts: 523
    That is pretty cool. By the way, I heard you were dead......
  • RJH
    RJH Posts: 129
    Just the day before yesterday I received a set of 2 of those 8" pizza stones off of Amazon :) . I haven't used them yet, but my plan is to keep one reasonably clean for pizzas, and use the other for indirect. I have two grates for the mini,and I'll put one on the fire ring with a stone on top, then my woo ring for the mini (from the ceramic grill store) on top of that, and my other grate on the woo ring. Am I getting a little too carried away? :blink:
  • I suppose my setup isn't completely indirect, as the grate does have slits on it. My initial idea was to put one of those small rectangular tins as a drip tray, but then I got cheap, and decided to just make a drip tray out of foil. I had the foil drip tray in place for a while and wondered if it was really needed. I didn't. I think the slits in the grate are thin enough to prevent flame ups, plus the cooking grate is raised another 1.5 inches. I've only used it once, but so far so good.
  • not at all .. i do intend to reduce the diameter of the stone i use as a plate setter.. it traps [imho] too much heat below it,,
  • it looks like a good setup and i will add it to my mini arsenal [ i have c-i , two stones , 2 stock grids a soapstone plate setter and on and on ,, always experimenting
    bill
  • Jersey Doug
    Jersey Doug Posts: 460
    Interesting. It's sort of a heat diffuser rather than a solid diverter. I'm going to check my scrap metal pile in the shed and see if I can find something to try in my Mini.