Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Question on Wood\Smoking Chips

UKBradC
UKBradC Posts: 46
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
What wood would you all consider to be the best for these dishes?

1. Pork Butt with a Cuban-inspired marinade

2. Brisket with Dizzy Pig's Red Eye Express rub

3. Ribs with a secret homemade rub that has a brown sugar base

I've gotten pretty good with both long and short cooks the Egg but have not really experimented much with different types of smoking woods. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Brad

Comments

• crghc98
    crghc98 Posts: 1,006
    I use cherry on all of my rib cooks,

I like a mix of cherry, maple, and a touch of oak or alder on my pork butts, though I don't know enough about the marinade to comment further.

I haven't messed with enough briskets to comment further...

If you can get it, you can use the bark from a shagbark hickory tree on just about anything. Great flavor....I'll be using just that as my other woods run out....
  • Egg Juju
    Egg Juju Posts: 658
    This really falls into the land of personal preference and there probably isn't one single right or wrong answer. However, for my tastes I would do the following...

1. Pork Butt with a Cuban-inspired marinade
    None
    2. Brisket with Dizzy Pig's Red Eye Express rub
    Mesquite
    3. Ribs with a secret homemade rub that has a brown sugar base
    Hickory... but I understand Pecan can be amazing.

I hope that helps... good to see another Derby City resident on the forum. :)
    Large and Small BGE * www.quelfood.com
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,736
    cuban pork would be nothing or something light like guava or maybe a little peach wood. brisket would get maybe hickory and oak with a little cherry. ribs cherry wood with a hint of hickory, maybe sneak the smallest amount of mesquite in there when no ones looking. i sually mix and match with cherry as a base
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • fishlessman
    ive found three shagbarks within a short walk of the house, im good to go unless they decide to widen the road, then im there for tree cutting day :)
    fukahwee maine

• crghc98
    crghc98 Posts: 1,006
    buddy in Conn has shagbark all around his house. Brought home a trash bag full last time, will last awhile....

I've seen a few near me, but none in the woods, all on somebody's property....wonder how'd they feel about me in their front yard pulling bark off of their tree?
  • fishlessman
    i get that all the time up at the lake, i yell... hellllllooo, can i help you :laugh: they say no, just checking out the water...always thought about following them home so i could walk around in their yard. i think they think they have a right to be there :laugh: was finding the hickory nuts in the yard, must have been coming home in the truck tires, trees were covered in poison ivy so i couldnt see the bark at first
    fukahwee maine