Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Reverse sear Strip

JB
JB Posts: 510
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Have been using this method on the last several steaks I've done. I've had great results with T-Rex and hot tub methods as well, but the reverse sear seems to give me the best combination of doneness, tenderness/ texture and "grill flavor". I suppose it would really take doing all 3 and blind tasting to really determine my preference, but, for now at least, this is it.

This was a modest, 16 oz. strip (not like the 27 oz ribeye I did last week). Egg stable at 250* raised direct, cooked for about 15 mins total (7-8 per side) until internal reached ~100*. Pulled, fired Egg up to 650 and seared 90 secs./ side until 115 internal. Rested about 10 mins under foil. Very tasty. I'm going to try this technique on some thick pork chops tonite.

16 oz. strip, generous dose of kosher salt
Reversesearstrip15-3001.jpg

Forgot to snap a shot on the AR @ 250. This was after I pulled, 97 internal.
Reversesearstrip15-3003.jpg

Seared at 650, 90 sec/ side
Reversesearstrip15-3006.jpg

115* internal in thickest part, rested about 10 mins.
Reversesearstrip15-3007.jpg

'Twas mighty good
Reversesearstrip15-3009.jpg
Reversesearstrip15-3008.jpg

Comments

• ChargerGuy
    ChargerGuy Posts: 357
    Wow, looks great, i will have to try your method!
  • JB
    Thanks Jason, although it's not my method, people been doing it for years. Google 'reverse sear steak' and you'll find a lot of info. Sure works for my tastes.
  • Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    JB,

:woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: Looks like perfection ;)
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Outside looks GREAT!! But I won't even eat BEETS that are that red in the middle! :lol:

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• JB
  • JB
    C'mon Michael, don't tell me you eat steaks...oh, I can't even bring myself to say it....well....done!? :huh:
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Only when my mother cooks 'em and I'm not paying attention. :)

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• tach18k
    tach18k Posts: 1,607
    Put in the plate setter and do it at 250 till you get your first temp where you want it, then remove the plate setter and let the Egg come life, then sear. I do the tri-tips that way.
  • EggTurner
    EggTurner Posts: 108
    Sure looks good! If you are going to do a blind test then looks (grid marks) are not going to be a factor so I suggest you add "no sear" to the list. I have been doing steaks that way lately and really like them
  • JB
    I don't see any reason to add platesetter for that little time and at that temp. There are no flame-ups @ 250 raised. Unnecessary in my opinion. :)
  • phar71
    phar71 Posts: 44
    Man those look perfect. How did you do them?
  • phar71
    phar71 Posts: 44
    Never mind! Sorry just read the actual post, my mouth was watering looking at the pictures clouding my brain.