Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Turbo Brisket?

Options
Zinger
Zinger Posts: 86
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Think I might have got a hold of a turbo brisket. Really surprised me how fast it cooked. I was curious if anyone else has had the same thing happen?
I normally cook flats in the 8lb range. They have always been perdictable at 1.5 hrs per pound at 250 dome temp. Sometimes a little quicker, sometimes a little longer. Always within that general time frame.

Cooked my first packer cut last night. It was a little over ten pounds, so I was figuring on a 15 hour cook. I put it on the egg around 9:30 last night. Guru probe cliped to the dome thermometer (set at 250). Both guru and tel-tru were reading the same. Both were calibrated.

I had my maverick remote unit's alarm set to sound at 170 degrees (This is when I like to foil my brisket). I was woken at 3:00 this morning. I thought this can't be right, the brisket couldn't have broken the plateau that fast. I figured I had the tip of the probe in a fatty area. After re-positioning I found that wasn't the case. Best I could do was find an area of the meat registering 168.

My brisket hit 190 by 6:30 a.m. I didn't think it would get there till around 12:00 or 1:00. It turned out great, but I am curious. Is this someting that can be expected with packers?

I have heard of turbo butts. Did I have a turbo Brisket? When timing future cooks, should I figure whole packers at closer to 1 hr a pound.

Thanks
Mike

Comments

• civil eggineer
    civil eggineer Posts: 1,547
    Options
    Everything sounds normal except the cooking time. My whole packers generally take around the 15 to 16 hours like you have experienced. I have had packers go into plateaus in the 170s range many times and found that to be the norm. You had a turbo brisket that had a mind of its own.
  • UKBradC
    UKBradC Posts: 46
    Options
    I had the same problem a couple weeks ago. 8.5 pounder was put on at midnight at 250 and was at 190 by 10 AM.

Still tasted great though.