Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

what was YOUR first BGE meal?

Options
FenwayFinn
FenwayFinn Posts: 6
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
As the new owner of a BGE :) , I plan on spending saturday building my table, assembling my large BGE and then making my first foray into what I hope will be a long and rewarding life as an egghead. All of my grilling experience has been on your standard backyard gas grill so I'm not really sure what to make. I think it's too early to jump right into a slow cooked pork butt. What was your first BGE meal and would you recommend it to a newbie like me?

Comments

• JB
    JB Posts: 510
    Options
    I picked my Egg up (assembled) late one evening, got it set in place and threw a couple of steaks on. I would do something simple..steaks, burgers, chicken until you get a feel for temp control, which will come quickly.
  • walrusegger
    walrusegger Posts: 314
    Options
    Chicken wings.
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    My first was a cut of pork sold around where I come from as boneless baby back rib. Its just a section of loin that would nbe near the ribs. Its not too thick, and has a bit of fat. I did it with just a small amount of lump burning. Turned it a few times, and one portion of it got a little charred. On the whole, turned out as good, maybe even a tiny bit better than I'd ever made it.

If you haven't used and charcoal before, I'd suggest just lighting the lump, and messing with the vents to see how the temperature is controlled. Then maybe just toss on some brats.

Another easy early cook is beer can chicken. Get an old pie pan, set a half filled beer can on it, and sit a whole chicken down on that. The moisture comming up from the can will help keep the chicken moist if you have trouble controlling the temperature.

Do google "Naked Whiz," and review the copious info he has on his site about ceramic cooking.
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    Go for the low and slow pork butt.
    It was my first cook along with a brisket.
    Towards the end I added some ribs.
    Just jump in.
    Darian
    DSCN0440.jpg
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    Options
    All I remember is my dad brought over a 30 quart cooler of meat. Then said we have having a party on the 4th. Don't think I would recommend that. ;)

Mike
  • Unknown
    Options
    maybe just cook whatever you would have cooked this weekend on your old grill. But as was said above, play around with the vents for a little while until you see how the temp moves, then throw on the food & have at it
  • Gandolf
    Gandolf Posts: 906
    Options
    Bought my first Egg about 11 years ago on a Sunday morning on Super Bowl Sunday. Got it at BBQ-Galore. It was (and still is) a Medium that was already assembled. Fortunately I had bought an Egg, 'cause I wasn't smart enough to know that I couldn't do ribs for the Super Bowl halftime that evening, as a first Egg cook. The Egg knew enough to do them just right, they were great! Have fun, you'll love it.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    hahaha, good one! I don't remember what I had for LUNCH today! :) No idea what my first cook was. I do seem to recall that it was only so so, but I got better.

From your handle, I'm guessing you may be a Sox fan. Welcome anyway. :lol:

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    Options
    Finn,

I made a spatchcock and beer can chickens, a couple huge Ribeyes (to season ci grate) and an Apple pie. B)
  • mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    my first ever cook was split chickens (more or less the same as spatchcocked except i cut the chicken completely in half)...and a marinated flank steak...pretty easy cook, and you can work on controlling temmps right in the 425-450 range direct .. ..
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Options
    My first cook/meal on MY egg was a small butt the day after I got it home.
    Back in the late 80's I rented a house with 2 roomates, with an older clay Egg on the back patio. One of the guys came home with a huge chunk of cow one day, which Im thinking was a clod. Anyway, we cooked it all day and it was pretty good.
  • WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Options
    Baby back ribs for me.....

ribs1.jpg
  • kricks
    kricks Posts: 244
    Options
    Many, not all, first time cookers come back on this forum disappointed. It seems after reading their posts and my own experience, they bit off more than they could chew so to speak.

FWIW. Do something simple. Burgers or steaks and I'd lean toward burgers. Why? The Egg has much more heat than I was used too from both the top and bottom. So put them on and make the best burger you've ever had. Watch them close especially if you like the med rare.

Also, calibrate your thermometer so you don't get surprised.
  • civil eggineer
    civil eggineer Posts: 1,547
    Options
    Turkey, and it the time it was the most tender and tasty turkey I had ever experienced. Since then, I have done numerous as good.
  • FearlessGrill
    Options
    I'm pretty sure I did a whole chicken, though I think the brain cells containing that information may have died in the years in between. :)

I would recommend a chicken though - the Egg does wonders with them, and they're easy to cook. Use a fruit wood like apple for some relatively mild smoke flavor. If you spatchcock it (remove the backbone), it will cook faster. I do mine indirect (using the plate setter) at 400 degrees till the internal temp reaches 160 degrees. Here's a writeup from our blog for a simple spatchcocked chicken seasoned with kosher salt and pepper, and flavored with lemon slices and fresh basil under the skin. http://www.fearlesskitchen.com/2009/08/recipe-lemonbasil-smoked-chicken-guest-post-from-fearless-grill-.html

6a00e5502e1c0188340115721f3931970b-800wi

A lot of other folks here recommend doing it direct on a raised grid. There are directions for doing that on the Naked Whiz's site, here ... http://www.nakedwhiz.com/spatch.htm

Good luck and enjoy your new Egg!

-John
  • Steelers252006
    Options
    I'm in the boat with you, had my Egg a week. However, I've now cooked on mine three times and am going for No. 4 in a bit tonight with a whole chicken. I am going to do it direct and between 400-500 until the internal temp reads between 165-190. Guys on here are great for tips!! I can tell you this, though: This thing cooks incredibly well! You'll see. Play with the temp controls first. Me and my uncle sat out there and drank beer and got the thing up to 750 and then lowered it. It's pretty easy to maintain with a little practice. Coming from a Weber Genesis grill only a year old, a great grill, I was a bit skeptical at first and only purchased my Egg for low and slow cooks. It has impressed me to the point that I am going to sell the gas grill and only cook on it now. Even my wife, who thought I was crazy to an Egg after buying a $700 grill just less than a year previous, is very happy now after our first three meals. Throw some burgers on it, a few brats, test the temps, and enjoy the hell out of it!!
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options

Got my egg on the patio at about 1pm on a Saturday and didn't shut it down until 11:30 pm.

Started with dogs, brats and burgers. That was so good we called some family and friends and cooked some chicken quarters. That was so good we went to searing steaks. The only reason I shut the egg down was no one could eat any more.

Didn't use the stove/oven/microwave/eat out/take out for the next 4 or 5 months. Cooked 1 to 2 meals a day.

GG
  • Roll Tide
    Roll Tide Posts: 505
    Options
    Spatchcocked chicken. It was an easy and delicious firrst cook. I would recommend it primarily due to the ease of the cook and it is tough to mess up as long as you keep the temp in a moderate range as opposed to pinpoint precision on the low end.
  • RJH
    RJH Posts: 129
    Options
    Baby back ribs, on my new egg at the Texas Eggfest some years back. Actually it wasn't really my egg. The one with my name on it fell off the truck when they were unloading them all. Not pretty. So I cooked on someone else's egg. At the end of the day I left the fest and went straight to BBQ Outfitters and got a new one off the floor. Sweet!
  • fire egger
    fire egger Posts: 1,124
    Options
    Ribeyes, did them just like the video that came with the egg showed. came out very well. as many others have said, light bit early, play with the temps a little bit, then have fun. I agree with the others, chicken or brats are good first cooks.
    welcome, and enjoy!!
  • No Trash
    No Trash Posts: 73
    Options
    My first cook was hamburger... it was late and I was getting tired. I was up early the next day planning the rest of the weekends meal around the egg.
  • Mazzdog
    Mazzdog Posts: 44
    Options
    Chicken Breasts and some Burgers. did a Boston Butt a week later and steaks several times... just wander through the market and pick out whatever strikes ya. there are no bad choices.
  • Bulldog Mom
    Bulldog Mom Posts: 242
    Options
    Our very first egg meal was intended to be a pizza, but ended up turning into calzone. :whistle:

Long story, but it was still delicious.

One hint, please watch the CD. It is full of valuable tips, tricks and cook times for the newcomer. You will love your egg.

Welcome to the club.
  • DMurf
    DMurf Posts: 481
    Options
    I got home late the day my Egg was delivered but that did not stop me from cooking burgers that evening! The following morning I did a brisket that smoked for 14 hours, and was delicious.
    David
    BBQ since 2010 - Oh my, what I was missing.
  • Lothar
    Lothar Posts: 30
    Options
    Steak. 2" thick NY Strip. No real temperature control required.
  • shubydoobydo
    shubydoobydo Posts: 115
    Options
    My First meal was Burgers! With your first cook you can not go wrong... just make sure you learn ;)
  • Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    Options
    I really don't remember. It might have been a beer can chicken.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• bbqbeth
    bbqbeth Posts: 178
    Options
    dang..been so long. musta been chicken tho, (spatchcocked). i was hooked...
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    FenwayFinn,

I forget. It was a long time ago. I know I did brisket as one of the early ones.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Bluecrab3
    Bluecrab3 Posts: 328
    Options
    I cooked the most juicy burgers I had ever made!!!!!!