Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

bge cookbook

jemrx
jemrx Posts: 81
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Is the bge cookbook a worthwhile investment of $$. As a newbie I thought it might get me started on different cooks. Any feed back appreciated.

Comments

• deepsouth
    deepsouth Posts: 1,796
    i think it's great for cook times and temps for different things. i see a thread where it's $30 w/ free shipping on ebay. i paid almost twice that for it.

as a newbie, you'll get MUCH more help from this forum.
  • ChargerGuy
    ChargerGuy Posts: 357
    Jack,
    I love the Cookbook, it was pricey but I found it a very good read and the pics are great too. I especially like how they tell you the equipment needed and set up for each recipe.
  • mnwalleye
    mnwalleye Posts: 226
    Never once used it, stay with the forum.
  • Capt Frank
    Capt Frank Posts: 2,578
    It is sort of a cross between a cookbook and a coffee table book. At $50 retail it is definetly pricey, but it is beautifully done, and, as already mentioned, has a lot of good reference material, and a lot of good recipes that are geared directly for the egg. If the money is the issue, there are probably better and way cheaper grilling and smoking books on the market, but you often have to tweak the recipes for the egg.
    As always, this forum is your best reference of all, and it is free :laugh:

Capt Frank
    Homosassa, FL
  • Angela
    Angela Posts: 543
    Depends what you are looking for, I have about a hundred cookbooks. Just saw the BGE one at our local dealers and thumbed through it. It's well designed, large and attractive. I already ordered one online and haven't received it yet so I can't comment on the quality of the recipes.
    Egging on two larges + 36" Blackstone griddle
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    I did pay twice that for it. -RP
  • Squeeze
    Squeeze Posts: 717
    I have one signed by every employee at BGE....It is a coffee table staple and a pretty book!
    Kevin Jacques
    The University of Que L.L.C. ®
    Killen, AL
    www.uofque.com

Take Your Taste Buds to School!
  • Bobby-Q
    Bobby-Q Posts: 1,994
    But you got one of the limited signed by Ed Fisher books.
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    It wasn't signed. -RP
  • vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    I think it is a great cookbook for all Eggers. It has great recipes and great pictures. IMHO it is worth it no matter what you pay....
  • Memphistide
    Memphistide Posts: 207
    just use the forum to get started.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    I posted this back in Feb, still think the same.
    Only my opinion of the new cookbook.
    First I think it is outstanding tool for people who own eggs and NOT involved in this forum (I am sure this is the vast majority of egg owners).
    The first time I opened the book it was to a recipe calling to soak the chips before putting on coals (I may be in the minority here, but I am in the do not soak camp). I noticed that this is in all references to wood in the book that I could find. For some reason it put me off a little. The next page before reading and just flipping I came to cornbread (2 parts flour to 1 part cornmeal) just hard to understand after 60+ years of Southern Cornbread.
    The photography overall was good, but not better than lots and lots on the forum. Guys I understand that a few forum members are pro’s but we still have great photography on the forum.

The book is 320 pages with only 30 pages (22 recipes) to egghead recipes and those NO CREDIT to cooks. And not what you read on the forum (little changes)

I had the same opinion to the chapter of Rubs (not up to forum).

Noticed that they put the pizza stone directly on platesetter (not air between) any time using both.

No pulled pork? (that I found)

For me, I can find (and have stored) many more and better (I said for me) recipes off the forum. I am let down with the book, (for me) was expecting the FORUM IN PRINT (I guess).
    If this was in a book store and I could sit and read it for 10 minutes before buying, I would pass. For me the forum is so much richer in information.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Capt Frank
    Capt Frank Posts: 2,578
    I cannot disagree with Mickey on all points, [especially the cornbread]still, I think it is a book that most eggers will want in their library. ;)

Capt Frank
    Homosassa, FL
  • DMurf
    DMurf Posts: 481
    When I bought my Egg I also purchased the BGE cookbook. I do recommend it, one of my faves is the ABT recipe have been playing around with that one since I first tried it. Also the Simon & Garfunkel chicken is very good.

Good recipes are merely jumping off points to great food!
    David
    BBQ since 2010 - Oh my, what I was missing.
  • I highly recommend it as well! The nicest thing about it is that it gives you cooking guidelines for times and temps for most meats / veggies. You can always change up the seasonings, but the temps and times really help.

BTW, the chipolte butter corn with cotja cheese is ridiculously good!!