Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

chicken wings?????????

Options
OttawaEgg
OttawaEgg Posts: 283
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
G'day fellow eggers!

I want to try doing some chicken wings and looking for the how-to and suggestions.

I have about 2lbs of split wings.

I would normally bake them in the oven at around 400f for about 45-50 mins (we like em crispy) with some spices, then toss them in hot sauce before serving with blue cheese dip.

Soooo.... direct/indirect? Temperature? Wood for smoke?How long?

Cheers :woohoo:

Comments

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    While I like to cook chicken pieces of all kinds direct, raised, the problem is always trying to turn them fast enough that the dripping fats don't cause a flare-up. I did a bunch of thighs last night, dome around 400, and the big problem was that the fats dripped onto the hunk of maple I had for smoke, and turned it into a torch every time I opened the dome.

Ergo, I'd recommend indirect for a big batch of wing sections. Less chance for flare-up, and a more even heat so the little pieces don't burn.

Smoke, of course.

As always, cook to temp, not time.
  • boston_stoker
    Options
    With the platesetter in place, the egg in a lot of ways functions like an oven. I would try what you normally do in the oven on your BGE for starters. If you want to add some smokey flavor, just use a mild wood like apple.
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    I personally do them direct on a raised grid with very little lump - maybe half the firebox full - at 450*. The idea is to get the wings as far from the lump as you can to promote more even cooking and to prevent charring. I find this method will help them get crisp and done throughout without burning.

I don't use wood for smoke. I season with salt and lemon pepper or sometimes prefer to use DP Swamp Venom.

After they are done (maybe 20 minutes per side - give or take) I toss them in sauce, then put them back on for 5 minutes or so to set the sauce a little. Depending on how hot the sauce is, I may toss them in the sauce one final time before serving.
  • Unknown
    Options
    Tim, there are a bazillion ways to do wings on the egg, but for starters, you can replicate what you do in your oven, same time, temp, naturally it would be indirect as in your oven, then, after you taste'm, make adjustments going forward. My suspicion is that you will do them many many different ways until you settle upon a method you like, happy eggin
  • OttawaEgg
    OttawaEgg Posts: 283
    Options
    Ok - I know its says expert egger up there - but it REALLY means I ask the most questions LOL

ANYways... since my raised grill is up at the lake (with home-egg's bruzcha), I'm going to do indirect, drip pan at about 400 and see how that works. Probably apple wood for some smoke.

I'll let ya's know how they turn out.

Thanks and cheers :side:
  • DrZaius
    DrZaius Posts: 1,481
    Options
    I think some sort of hybrid combination of ideas if you cannot do a raised grid will get you great results.

I would do them INDIRECT 400 for 30 minutes per side. Pull them off, sauce them, then back on the egg for a few minutes DIRECT to crisp them up.

Fidel's idea of saucing then placing back on the egg works extremely well and now I do it that way and you will get some great flavored wings.

Good Luck! Let us know how you did.
    This is the greatest signature EVAR!
  • WooDoggies
    WooDoggies Posts: 2,390
    Options
    Old-timer ChefRD introduced a recipe to the BGE forum years ago for breaded wings. His recipe is our favorite way to egg wings here at the Woo Farm. Everyone who tries them loves them and I've heard many times, "These are the best wings I've ever had."

ChefRdWings.jpg

The wings are cooked at a lower temp over direct heat on a raised grid. I fill the firebox to just above the air holes to maximize the distance between the wings and lump. I don't think they need added smoke from chips or chunks as the chicken will absorb enough smoke from the lump. If you want more smoke flavor, I'd try a little apple.... too much, though, and the smoke will overwhelm the chicken.
    Sometime we sauce, sometimes we don't but either way they are delicious.

Chris of Dizzy Pig modified Ron's recipe by lowering the cook temp and increasing the cook time. The extra cook time allows the fat in the skin to render, saturating the breading and creating crispy goodness.
    This recipe works really well with chicken legs, too.

Here's the recipe:
    http://www.dizzypigbbq.com/recipesWings.html

Good Luck!

john
  • FearlessGrill
    Options
    Here's a link to a good wings thread from a few months back that I bookmarked. I'm reposting my contribution to the thread there, with links to several good wings recipes...

Here's the thread link... http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=848736&catid=1

I like to experiment with wings, and I've posted a bunch of recipes here before. These are original recipes or taken from non-Egg sources. I haven't included recipes like the Bloody Mary wings from the Eggtoberfest cookbooks here, since people already know where to find those...

In general, I cook my wings indirect at about 400 degrees for about 40 minutes. I generally don't sauce till I take them off the Egg, at which point I toss in a large bowl with sauce that has been kept warm on the stove. I DO recommend a spice rub on your wings while they are cooking. I've done taste tests of several recipes with and without rubs with friends, and they always prefer the same recipe with a rub, as it adds another layer of flavor.

Here are some of my recipes. I've provided links to the full recipes on our blog, rather than making this a 5 page post.

Regular (mild) Buffalo-style Wings
    Wings%201.jpg

Spicy Buffalo-style Wings
    6a00e5502e1c01883401116846a521970c-800wi

Pomegranate Wings
    6a00e5502e1c0188340120a63c06f9970c-800wi

Honey-Lime Wings
    6a00e5502e1c018834011571dc6461970b-800wi

Of these, my favorite is the spicy Buffalo, but that may be too much for a lot of people. The mild Buffalo is what I usually serve to guests. A lot of my friends really like the honey-lime ones too.

Enjoy,

-John
  • Bordello
    Bordello Posts: 5,926
    Options
    :)
    Just wanted to drop in and say Hi John, it's been awhile. As always you have good information to share and that is a good one.

Hope things have been going well for ya, keep the pictures coming as they are enjoyed by all.

My Best to you and your Lady friend,
    Regards,
    Bordello
    Have the Egg warming up for ABT's, third batch in a week. Usually they are for my girls at the pub but these go to the ones at my coffee shop, I try to share myself with em all :woohoo: :angry:
  • WooDoggies
    WooDoggies Posts: 2,390
    Options
    Hey New Bob! All is well here and very, very busy..... a good busy, though.

Here's a recent shot of our head rooster.... for some odd reason, it somehow reminds me of you....

heeeee!

IMG_1453.jpg

john
  • Knauf
    Knauf Posts: 337
    Options
    www.nibblemethis.com has a recipe for fire-roasted-sriracha-chicken-wings that are outstanding. I have also tried the "unfried" breaded wings mentioned above and they are outstanding too.