Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Great Pizza and a burned felt!

KB
KB Posts: 144
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I cooked pizza on the BGE for the first time this weekend and I didn't stop at one.

I used the plate setter and placed the pizza stone on the plate setter, raised by the three egg feet, as I saw on this site.

After the dome temp rose to about 400, I placed the first pizza on the stone. It cooked slowly and the bottom didn't brown until it had been in the egg about 20 minutes. By the time I put the second pizza on the stone, the temp was steadier (it didn't take so long to return to cooking temp after the top was opened) and this second one cooked in about 12-14 minutes. I could look through the top of the egg to see when the edge of the crust was browning to give me an idea of how far along it was. The third one came out great, just like the second one, but i noticed about 15% of the felt lining the top of the egg was scorched. I just snipped it off.

My guests loved the pizza and my wife, who was ready to heat up the oven when the first pizza took so long, said it was great!

AA%20Uncooked%20pizza%20and%20egg.jpg

The strange looking green things on top of the pizza are leftover green onions from a catering job my wife had made that morning.

AA%20Pizza%20on%20the%20egg.jpg

Bert%20Grilling.jpg

Comments

• KB, pizza looks great, bump that temp up to 500-550 & your wife will be happier still, time on the egg will drop to between 8-10 minutes
  • Beaumonty
    Beaumonty Posts: 198
    That looks fantastic. I just got a large Egg myself and have decided pizza is my next challenge. I like your detailed commentary.

The crust looks great. Where did you look for your recipe?
  • misfit
    misfit Posts: 358
    Good set-up and a fine looking pie. But as others have warned, don't look down the barrel of a loaded gun.
  • KB
    I looked at it from a distance, and with the indirect heating, I didn't fear a flare up like I would for some fatty food and direct heat. Have you seen a flare up with my set up?
  • Fornia
    Fornia Posts: 451
    Looks great!

But given the comments regarding a dome temp of 500-550, wouldn't the chances of scorching the gasket increase?

I'm 3 weeks and about 15 cooks into my LBGE...have not really had temp over 550 and have not yet noticed anything with the gasket. Pizza is my next 'to do' on the Egg. Kinda irks me to think that the gasket scorch thing is pretty 'normal'.

I've read some thoughts on 'not changing until you need to', but it almost makes me wanna remove and install an upgraded gasket.
  • misfit
    No I haven't, and I didn't mean any disrespect, just that others have been hurt, and maybe at lower temps...
  • Beaumonty
    Beaumonty Posts: 198
    You might be better off pre-emptively replacing the gasket. My gasket fused and partially pulled off within three uses. it still works and sorta re-adhered to the rims but now it's stretched and bunched up in spots. I can live with ugly but functional. still...the gasket thing is frustrating.
  • fornia, yep, the potential for gasket damage will increase with the temperature, but the longer you egg, the less you will be concerned, particularly if you do a lot of grilling & baking as opposed to low & slow type cooks. My current gasket is hangning off the back, burned in other spots, but manages to get the job done to the extent it needs to get done... its all good, don't limit your cooks, temps, or your imagination as a result of any perceived issues that may arise related to the gasket, your enjoyment of the food will suffer
  • guzzijason
    guzzijason Posts: 143
    I tried doing pizza the first time within a few weeks of getting my Egg. Felt went up in a blaze of glory, and I haven't missed it since. Maybe some Eggs naturally have a better seal than others, I dunno... all I do know is that I can't think of a good reason why I would put another gasket on (just to eventually burn it off again).

__Jason
  • Little Chef
    Little Chef Posts: 4,725
    KB...A gasket replacement is really not a huge deal. Don't mean to make light of it. Our original egg, the gasket lasted 14 years, but we weren't so fortunate on the more recent purchases. BGE unfortunatly had a bad batch of gasket adhesive the last several months or so, but one phone call and they will send you a replacement (from what I have heard). Give them a call!
    As far as the replacement goes, here is one link, and I know there are others....
    http://www.bubbatim.com/Projects.php
    The gasket project is just after the next rebuild.
  • KB
    thanks. I will contact them because I plan to do some slow, long cooks and will likely need a good seal.
  • Rezen73
    Rezen73 Posts: 356
    Can you post your pizza dough recipe?

Nice looking pizza, and good idea to prop up the pizza stone with the spare egg feet!
  • KB
    Flour mix

3-3/4 cups flour
    1/2 tablespoon of salt
    3 tablespoons of sugar
    3 tablespoons of olive oil

proof your yeast
    1 tablespoon sugar
    cup of warm water

add water or flour to form the right consistency

This makes 3 thin-slice pizzas for the size stone I show in my photo above in the Large BGE.
  • KB
    I am grateful that you warned others. I don't want my post to lead to someone getting injured.

When the sun is shining into the egg, I can see the edge of my pizza through the top when I peek at an angle (not directly overhead). Otherwise, I just open dome and slide my metal pizza peel under the pizza and lift it briefly to see if it is browned.
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    I often look down the chimney during pizza cooks.

One could always use a digital camera to take a quick pic, and see. If they are concerned.
  • misfit
    I have done it myself, just saying care should be taken.
  • DrZaius
    DrZaius Posts: 1,481
    Great idea. I love the Stubbs apron.
    This is the greatest signature EVAR!