Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

can i light my egg with a bernzomatic ts4000?

deepsouth
deepsouth Posts: 1,796
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
i walked all around lowes asking about "weedburners" and met dead ends all around... "we don't carry those"...

walked up by tools and found several propane "torches". i bought the ts4000 because it has a "durable cast iron" body versus plastic...

is this what i'm looking for to light my egg?

thanks in advance.

Comments

• dubah
    dubah Posts: 60
    There's no reason why not, but if it's the model w/o the hose you'll be pretty close to the charcoal & flame. Just be careful of sparks, etc.
    There should be plenty of lighting power - what gas are you using - looks like it'll work with propane and MAPP?
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Jason,

If it is adaptable to mapp (or modified propane) you're better off with that.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226

Here is one with a Piezo starter from Harbor freight
    http://www.harborfreight.com/propane-torch-with-push-button-igniter-91037.html they also have one cheaper without the starter button.

The ts4000 will work fine, the head needs to be capable/designed for burning inverted. There is something in the head that will allow the inverted burn. If you visit the BernsOmatic webstie and click on the FAQ page, this is discussed.

You can use MAPP or Propane, most folks on the forum will use MAPP as it is hotter. MAPP burns hotter than propane and this head will require you to be closer to the lump so watch your shirts, the sparks will burn holes in them. I need to try using propane to see how much slower it light the lump.

When getting a torch make sure you get one that has a always on button and make sure it is capable of being able to burn propane inverted.

GG
  • deepsouth
    i noticed that it was pretty short....

where are you guys finding "weedburners"? this was the closest thing i could find and i'm $50 into it after buying a couple extra propane tanks...

i worried about being close to the heat when i walked out with this...

:o(
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Just be sure to wear eye protection. -RP
  • deepsouth
    AZRP wrote:
    Just be sure to wear eye protection. -RP

thanks!

wouldn't have thought of that (until it was too late).
  • bobbyb
    bobbyb Posts: 1,349
    Jason.
    I've been using that model with mapp gas for about 6 years now. No problems so far, and a bottle of gas lasts forever.
  • deepsouth
    bobbyb wrote:
    Jason.
    I've been using that model with mapp gas for about 6 years now. No problems so far.

what is mapp gas bob? is it different than propane?

you are using this same model???
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    I have this unit and it works great.
    It will use both propane and mapp gas.
    I have only used one propane bottle, rest mapp, and yes the mapp does work better. Just don't jam it into your lump. I try and point the heat towards a gap in the lump and it starts a burn very well.
    As others have mentioned, wear eye protection.
    Some lump sparks more than others and also from batch to batch. If it sparks a bunch just pull back a little on the flame to lump distance. My big mistake was putting the flame to close to the lump. Others at my first Eggfest set me straight.
    You will not regret purchase. One mapp tank will last a long time. Mine floated around in my garage in salt water with hurricane Ike and it still works great.
    Darian
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • PhilsGrill
    PhilsGrill Posts: 2,256
    I believe that if it shoots fire out of the end, it can start your egg!

Nuke.jpg
  • deepsouth
    Photo Egg wrote:
    I have this unit and it works great.
    It will use both propane and mapp gas.
    I have only used one propane bottle, rest mapp, and yes the mapp does work better. Just don't jam it into your lump. I try and point the heat towards a gap in the lump and it starts a burn very well.
    As others have mentioned, wear eye protection.
    Some lump sparks more than others and also from batch to batch. If it sparks a bunch just pull back a little on the flame to lump distance. My big mistake was putting the flame to close to the lump. Others at my first Eggfest set me straight.
    You will not regret purchase. One mapp tank will last a long time. Mine floated around in my garage in salt water with hurricane Ike and it still works great.
    Darian

so mapp and propane are two types of gas and i can use either with this?
  • Davekatz
    Davekatz Posts: 763
    And gloves, and a cheap shirt. Those sparks can travel. I have the singed armpit to prove it ;).

I've had my Benzomatic ts4000 for about 2 years and it works great. I run MAPP gas through it. Other than the sparks, I've had no problem with it.
    Food & Fire - The carnivorous ramblings of a gluten-free grill geek.
  • Just wondering--for the folks using MAPP to light lump, are you using refillable canisters or buying the disposable canisters? It seems like a resource-intensive way to get a fire going...not only a petroleum-derived gas, but a non-reusable container? I have oxy, acetylene, & (sometimes) MAPP on hand in refillable cylinders, but I'd imagine most people are buying the small, non-refillble containers.

Somehow it feels more earth-friendly to use the solid starter blocks--no waste (you can even use the packaging to start a fire). Hmmm, I think I can smell a flamin' a-comin' ;)
  • THA
    THA Posts: 198
    yellow is MAPP gas
  • deepsouth
    THA wrote:
    yellow is MAPP gas

thanks!

once i use the MAPP gas, can i used the green bottle propane refills i bought? safely?
  • Photo Egg
    Yes, you can use both with this unit.
    Mapp gets hotter and will work better when the bottle is tilted. Use your propane first unless they will let you return it?
    Fire it up Jason...
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Photo Egg
    Yes
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • tach18k
    tach18k Posts: 1,607
    I use mapp gas and only that. People mention being close to the lump, my lighter has a locking trigger, I can lock it in -on- and hold the end of the can. I never had had a problem after 8 years and I think I haveobly changed the can twice, so it lasts a real long time for $7 a can. I use about 45 seconds of gas normaly to light my lump.
  • deepsouth
    tach18k wrote:
    I use mapp gas and only that. People mention being close to the lump, my lighter has a locking trigger, I can lock it in -on- and hold the end of the can. I never had had a problem after 8 years and I think I haveobly changed the can twice, so it lasts a real long time for $7 a can. I use about 45 seconds of gas normaly to light my lump.

so that's just a few seconds in each spot to light all around or just a few seconds in the center for a low and slow?
  • bobbyb
    bobbyb Posts: 1,349
    Jason,
    as has been mentioned, MAPP is in yellow bottles and burns hotter than propane. Propane is in Green bottles. You can use propane with the torch you bought no problem
  • deepsouth
    thanks for all the tips guys. i didn't fry myself and i got my grill lit quicker than with oily/smokey paper towels.
  • tach18k
    tach18k Posts: 1,607
    hmm, about the same, on 45 sec spot and about 20 sec if I do three spots each.