Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Hamburger Patties

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
The other night I tried to cook some wonderful hamburgers on my Lg BGE. I pattied the meat the usual way, with some mustard and worchestshire and bbq sauce mixed in the meat. I pattied them and started the BGE. After putting them on and cooking at 350 I tried to turn them and it was a disaster! We ended up with sloppy joes! I could not turn the burgers because they were too moist, and fell apart which hasn't been a problem with my other metal cookers (same receipe). My question is: Can you add any liquid to hamburger meat when cooking on the egg? Someone please give me a good receipe that will stay looking like a burger.

Comments

• Steve-B
    Steve-B Posts: 339
    Options
    TerryinBama,[p]I think you could use that recipe, but I would try a temp of 500°. Then flip carefully when a crust forms on the first side. [p]Steve-B
  • YB
    YB Posts: 3,861
    Options
    TerryinBama,
    Make your patties and put them in the freezer for about 15 minutes....They will stay togather when you flip them.
    Larry

• Mark Backer
    Mark Backer Posts: 1,018
    Options
    YB,[p]Sure, on your fancy outdoor kitchen maybe...(LOL)
  • Luvmyegg
    Luvmyegg Posts: 86
    Options
    TerryinBama,
    Just made some last night and they turned out really well. My new system is to add seasonings and about 1/4 cup of ice water to 1 1/2 lbs ground beef. Form the patties and indent the center of the patty with your finger. Wrap them up and place in the freezer until frozen. Heat up the egg to 450ish and grill about 5 min per side. If you are using really lean beef, maybe you should oil the grill first to prevent sticking and make sure the grill is really clean.

• TerryinBama,[p]Try a higher temperature next time.
    I grill my burgers @ 500[p]Tony

• Yazoo
    Yazoo Posts: 145
    Options
    TerryinBama,[p]I agree with Steve-B. Cook at a higher temp and get a good scald on those burgers before you try to turn them. Basic cooking technique. I know some folks do add ice to the ground beef, but I think it just adds more water that's going flush the other juices and flavor out of the meat. I think they already add too much water to ground beef.
  • BluesnBBQ
    BluesnBBQ Posts: 615
    Options
    TerryinBama,[p]In addition to what everyone else said, don't press down on them while they're cooking. Just let them sit there.[p]You can also try adding some egg and breadcrumbs to the meat.
  • Jimbo
    Jimbo Posts: 44
    Options
    TerryinBama,[p]Take a page from Bubba Burger and "Good Eats". [p]1. Freeze them hard as rocks before you cook them. Add water, broth, or nothing. Frozen is good.
    2. Cook them at least 500*.
    3. Turn them only once.
    4. Don't press, mash, poke, or prod the burger until you are ready to flip it.
    5. Use the burgers own "pop up timer" as a guide. When you see red meat juice rise to the top, flip it. It will not be stuck to the grid if you do it like this. (Unless you are using ground turkey or chicken, but that is another story...)
    6. Use the second built-in guide as to when it is done. When you see the coagulated meat juice rise to the top on side 2, the burger is medium doneness.[p]Adios,[p]A.B.

• Steve-B, I get eggo up to 6-700 degrees, salt and pepper the burgers, throw them on and let them sear for 4-5 minutes, flip and sear other side for 3-4 minutes, close all vents on the egg for another 5 minutes, pull burgers and let sit for 5 minutes. Voila, the perfect , juicy, medium burger. I do my steaks the same way. Never had problem with falling apart.