Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Why can't I get my egg over 600

chiefsfan
chiefsfan Posts: 8
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum

Comments

• Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    First why do you want too?

Second you need to tell us more about your setup. Lots of things can be astray..
  • Eggsakley
    Eggsakley Posts: 1,019
    Load it with fresh lump, remove the DMFT and light that bad boy. Leave the bottom vent wide open. You will go way beyond 600 or your thermometer is jacked up. This is assuming you have adequate air flow through you grate. 600 is easily obtainable.
  • Mike in Abita
    Mike in Abita Posts: 3,302
    Heat is nothing more than air+fuel. If you have enough airflow and enough lump charcoal you will get heat. if your thermometer isn't reading it, it just may be a thermo that is out of calibration. If it doesn't look like the photo below then I would say to check your firebox and make sure you are lined up porperly. Add more lump than you think you might need and remove the daisy wheel, pen the bottom vent fully.

Steak005.jpg
  • smoker62
    smoker62 Posts: 80
    If you just dump in the lump you may not get enough air flow. I like to sear steaks around 750. I clean the firebox and stack my lump with bigger pieces then add smaller until full. No cap on top. Vent open and usually screen open until it hits the temp, then I close the screen until it holds were I want it. Small pieces dumped in will make it harder to get the air through . But I am still a newbie so take better advice than mine. :whistle:
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Meh....stacking lump is way overrated. I've honestly never stacked or sorted lump in my life and I have no problem keeping low temps or burying the needle on the high side.

Clean egg, no blocked holes, and WFO air flow are all you need. It will get there.

In this case I think the problem is the dude's choice in football teams. :P
  • lowercasebill
    lowercasebill Posts: 5,218
    clean out the egg , look at the fire box ... see the little holes,, ash and lump fall thru them and fill the space btween the base of the fire box and and the wall of the egg over time.. how long have you had your egg? i used to lift out the fire ring and fire box periodically and brush it clean ,, now i run the small shop vac hose thru this space regularly and only remove the innards every few months. if that space fills up enough you will have trouble getting above 400.
  • smoker62
    Fidel wrote:
    Meh....stacking lump is way overrated. I've honestly never stacked or sorted lump in my life and I have no problem keeping low temps or burying the needle on the high side.

Clean egg, no blocked holes, and WFO air flow are all you need. It will get there.

In this case I think the problem is the dude's choice in football teams. :P

You dont get plugged holes dumping right out of the bag? Maybe its my Royal oak lump and smaller pieces but I seem to have trouble getting up unless I stack somewhat. But like I said , I am a rookie. :laugh:
  • WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    No way to answer that with the lack of details provided...and I concurr....why would you want to..
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Almost never. And if a few get blocked it would be partially and the other holes would offer plenty of flow anyway.
    I have built 800 fires with lump consisting of not one piece larger than a golfball, most marble sized.
  • Mazzdog
    Mazzdog Posts: 44
    Gorgeous... Simply Gorgeous... Makes me want to sear a Rib Eye and then bust out some marshmallows for S'mores..
  • smoker62
    Bacchus wrote:
    Almost never. And if a few get blocked it would be partially and the other holes would offer plenty of flow anyway.
    I have built 800 fires with lump consisting of not one piece larger than a golfball, most marble sized.

Sounds like I have been wasting my time with the stacking, but it is kinda fun for now. Makes me feel like a real technician.
  • BigGreenDon
    BigGreenDon Posts: 167
    Hey!

I like the way you just wedged that half-grate between the firebox and the fire-ring.

Who needs a stinkin' spider!

Don
  • Mark0525
    Mark0525 Posts: 1,235
    I agree with you with the poor choice in football team...lol
  • Mike in Abita
    DON'T do it. That was the cook that resulted in this. Unless you have room for the CI to expand at least 3/4" in that area you run the risk of splitting the base.

Crack001.jpg

Not a good day in Abita when that happened.
  • Mike in Abita
    That is exactly what it did. Besides crracking the base it cooked one of my best ribeyes.

Steak010.jpg
  • redneck6497
    redneck6497 Posts: 180
    What specifically was done to crack the egg?
  • Mike in Abita
    The heat from the fire caused the CI to expand. By putting it between the firebox and ring it did not have enough room in that area to expand with out pushing out on the base. It actually split the entire base the only thing holding it together was the base band and the lower vent. It's now in the yard doing duty as a planter.
  • APDHARLEY
    APDHARLEY Posts: 48
    Dang Mike that was a very bad day in Abita! Sure hope you have the repalcement up and running!