Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Newbie intro and brined chicken pic

Options
Hiites
Hiites Posts: 26
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hello all, I'm a new egghead but have cooked on them a little in the past. My name is Brad and have helped Big Daddy OCT the last few years at the Oklahoma Eggfest. My forum name is pronounced with a long "i" and means friend. I recently purchased a large egg and am just trying to get used to using it. I'm not quite ready for a low and slow cook with it yet since I have a lot to learn about managing my fire on the egg so I will continue to use my offset some large cooks but the egg will be good for some smaller low and slow cooks and all of my high heat cooks once I learn what the heck I'm doing.
Last night, I decided to try Alton Brown's chicken brine on some wing on, bone in chicken breasts. I also used his spiced rub on them that includes chili powder, cumin, adobo spice, paprika, curry powder and cocoa powder. I cooked over direct heat for about 9 minutes and then added the plate setter and cooked indirect for another 11-12 minutes untill the chicken registered 155 degrees and then let them rest for 5 minutes. I was pleased with the outcome and think I will start brining all of my chicken. Hopefully a pic will show up in this post. BTW, the jalepeno in the pic is the first one out of my garden this year.
BrinedChicken003.jpg

Comments

• kilts
    kilts Posts: 30
    Options
    looks delicious
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    Welcome to the neighborhood. I like to brine all my white meat and I particularly like cooking airline breasts. Yours look just great. They seem to stay a little moister and the extra bone in the wing adds some flavor.

That 155° is a good number as the internal will rise 5 or 6 degrees while resting. I'm curious about the cocoa powder, what kind of flavor does it produce? Are you going for a mole kind of thing?
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • 'Q Bruddah
    'Q Bruddah Posts: 739
    Options
    Great looking chicken!! A green thumb, too!! Welcome to the forum. Encouragement--do a low and slow on the egg, you will be hooked. It is super easy to maintain temp. That is what eggs are designed to do. I am new to BBQ not so much grilling or the forum but with an egg and a few tips from the kind folks here it was a BREEZE.(easy peasy) No Guru No Stoker just me and my egg.
  • 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Options
    I never heard it called airline breasts. ;) I guess it's because it has the wing still on it. ;) Tim
  • 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Options
    Hiites, Welcome to the forum. I'm sure you will fit right in. Tim :)
  • BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    Options
    looks great welcome to the forum

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    Yeah, that's one reason.

In the old days, when you used to get a real meal on airline flights, they would serve a breast with at least the first joint (the drummette) of the wing attached. It made the portion look bigger.
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    Would you be "Brad, I'm just here for a trophy"???
    I don't have time for the after party or to give autographs for my Fire Wire victory...LOL
    Glad to see you post.
    Darian
    OKC_2010018.jpg
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Hiites
    Hiites Posts: 26
    Options
    Hey Darian, yeah, it's me :laugh: . In all fairness, I have to say that the GIANT margarita that was being passed around scared me. I knew I'd better get out while I could still drive. It was nice visiting while I did hang around though. I have to say that I'm sorry that I don't know everyones forum name. I only know them in my mind as "guy with the parrot" and his wife, Wisconsin couple, "Iron Egg Chef from Canada guy", "Giant Margarita Lady" and I take it that you are Photo Egg. What's your wifes forum name?

Thirdeye, I think Alton did mention something about being reminiscent of a mole'. I thought it was an odd ingrediant but it worked very well.

Thank you all for the welcome.
  • BigDaddy - OCT
    Options
    Glad you made it on here buddy! Knowing what an amazing cook you are I'm looking forward to seeing your creations posted on here.

Don't worry about the forum names, just trust me when I tell you what they are and what their real names are...I'll take care of you! That being said, never ever trust Giant Margarita Lady! Guy with parrot and his wife, Iron Egg Chef from Canada guy and his wife, and the Wisconsin couple are all great people!

Have a good trip up to KC and give my best to CWM.

Bruce