Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Gasket is toast, now to replace it...

Options
JBUG99999
JBUG99999 Posts: 263
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
After our Swap Meet & BBQ event, we noticed that our gasket was toast. I asked my husband to call the Mothership and see about a getting a Nomex gasket. They sent us a Nomex gasket, but they charged us! :angry:

So, we were doing a little looking around and I just finished watching a Fred's Music & BBQ video about changing the gasket. He removed the dome completely to change his gasket--is this required? For those that have done this process, did you remove the dome? The website says that they are recommending a 3M 777 spray adhesive--is that what you guys are using? It also said to spray the Egg and the gasket. This sounds like a ton of work, he said he worked on his almost two hours! :ohmy:

Leaning on those with more experience here...

Please tell me your stories. What you did? What worked and what didn't?

I've read where people say you don't really need a gasket anyway, but we're seeing smoke just rolling out the gasket leak throughout the entire cook and hate having the constant smoke roll in the new patio. I'd like to stop this asap. I'm sure it's cooking just fine, but the smoke should be INSIDE! :woohoo:

Thanks for the insight!

Comments

• PhilsGrill
    PhilsGrill Posts: 2,256
    Options
    Best thing to do is use the search feature in the upper right corner. Type in 'gasket replacement'.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options

Changing the gasket, nomex or felt. It can be done with the dome on. I found it takes longer than if I remove the dome. If you remove the dome, when taking the bands/hing off hold the bands wide enough so you don't end up 'twisting/torking' the bands and lay them on a flat surface - if need be grass is fine.

From the video, the last time I looked at it here are some things that will make it easier.

Use isopropyl alcohol (90% or 99%) and get a stiff narrow putty knife and or a window scraper like the one to take tape of windows. Get some heavy duty paper towels, those blue auto shop towels work great. Don't gouge, grind or sand the egg surfaces.

On a felt replacement, the cleaning and replacing both top and bottom surfaces on a large should not take much more than 30 minutes.

Take the putty knife and or window scraper and clear off the old gasket. Don't worry about getting everything off, just the fuzzy's.

Unlike the helper in the video don't work the whole surface at one time. Rather, work in about 8" sections. Liberally wet the work area and let it sit and soak. Apply a second coat of alcohol. Take the putty knife and clear that section. Wet again and wipe with the towel. The section should be clean at this point. Repeat until the entire surface is clean.

When doing the dome get some towels, double them and put them over the edge of the base then insert the dome upside down into the base - this makes a sturdy way to clean the dome.

gasket2.jpg

While you are replacing the gasket put some gasket in the ceramic cap for a better shut down.

gasket2.jpg

I have not put Nomex on my eggs as of yet. However, reading the posts I think I would spray the adjesive in a plastic cup and then brush both surfaces (egg and nomex) then apply the nomex to the egg. You might want to think about using automotive high temperature permitex rather than the 3M Supper 77. I will probably use the high temp permatex solution when I do.

Remember to presrink the Nomex. I am not sure if Fred's Nomex is different than BGE's Nomex - Fred says to pre-srink his Nomex.

Replacing gaskets is not hard at all and it doesn't need to take a half of a day either.

GG
  • tach18k
    tach18k Posts: 1,607
    Options
    I relaced my old gasket twice, then I stopped doing it. Yes I did take the dome off, but first I removed the springs while someone head the dome up. This was easier as to really clean the surface back to the nice white, both dome and base. I also used alchol whipe to clean the finished surface, I used the old style gasket with the self adhesive on it. I still have one full set left on a shelf in the garage. It doesnt leak smoke even though the gaskets are all long gone.
  • Humphrey Chimpden Earwicker
    Options
    once you spray the super 77 into a cup, you have rubber cement. might be cheaper to just use a small bottle of rubber cement if you are going to do a felt replacement (as opposed to the permatex or rutland cement with a rutland or ceramic gasket).

super77 is rubber cement thinned so that it can be aerosolized. but it's otherwise just natural latex rubber (hence the food-safe aspect).
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options

If that is what super 77 is then a bottle of rubber cement would be a lot cheaper. It would be interesting to see how just rubber cement would work.

If the felt or Nomex comes with the adhesive strip I don't think it would make much sense to use other adhesive in addition to the existing.

In the past I have used a 3M 'tape' membrane adhesive. I can't remember the name/number, but I have often wondered it it would be or is the same as the adhesive already on the felt gaskets.

My thinking on the permatex is the higher heat tolerance. The adhesive on the felt gaskets seem to melt at about 345° which on my medium is reached when the dome is at 700° for more than about 10 minutes.

GG
  • mnwalleye
    mnwalleye Posts: 226
    Options
    I put on a nomex and just put it on the bottom side. Seals up just fine.
  • JBUG99999
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the great information!

I appreciate the insight. I've read a lot of posts in the past, and re-read a number of them using the search feature, but wasn't sure if opinions had changed or new ideas were out there.

Thanks again!!!!
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Personally, I like the Rutland gasket with Permatex Ultra Copper adhesive. I installed mine on my large (bottom only, not on the dome) in December or so and it has been fine through all sorts of cooks - temps to about 750°.

It contains fiberglas and is not listed as "food safe", but lots of folks here use it. I'm about to install it on my Mini.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• chrono
    chrono Posts: 177
    Options
    I agree on the Rutland. I torched a felt gasket then a Nomex. I've been using Rutland for a few weeks and have done several high heat pizza and steak cooks with zero problems. No gasket worries anymore.
  • Unknown
    Options
    I also installed a Rutland gasket a few weeks ago, (it is recomended to only install it on the bottom so you don't have to take your egg apart). It has worked perfectly for me. RRP here on the Forum handles them. I would not use anything else. Bucky Buckshot
  • JBUG99999
    Options
    Thank you all for the information.

I'm thinking we will probably install the Nomex we have with Permatex Copper and see how it does. If this one becomes toast, maybe we'll get a Rutland next time.

Is the Permatex fairly self-explanatory to work with???

Thanks!